• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Radiator Shop is Freaking Nuts...

I have a US radiator in my 65 it is copper and brass. 1100 bucks car stays cool 185 on the highway and around 205 when cruising around town

I have a US radiator in my 65 it is copper and brass. 1100 bucks car stays cool 185 on the highway and around 205 when cruising around town
$1100 is more than I paid for the car and engine!

This is a real budget operation here...$1100 is okay if you have a nice car and have the funds available.

When I'm not working I live on $1200 per month.

Since you're a Roadkill fan--replace the water pump -$25 -to match the rad or run the long hose...

Never watched Roadkill but Freiburger and I exchanged a few emails 20 years ago.
Oh, looking at your profile background pic is a Roadkill t-shirt--"Don't Get It Right , Just Get it Runnin""
I have a similar situation with a 74 360 and the orig rad in my 68 Charger. The previous owner used a long lower hose and so far so good although I haven't driven it much yet. When it will be driven more often I will change the water pump first as that is cost effective.

Oh, looking at your profile background pic is a Roadkill t-shirt--"Don't Get It Right , Just Get it Runnin""
I have a similar situation with a 74 360 and the orig rad in my 68 Charger. The previous owner used a long lower hose and so far so good although I haven't driven it much yet. When it will be driven more often I will change the water pump first as that is cost effective.
Forgot about that t shirt!!

Short of a GlenRay, the best I've ever seen is from Griffin. I think you'll find some consensus on that one from
those in the professional trades....
The one I fetched for Fred, on the advice of the Mopar Action fellas, is head and shoulders above anything I
ever got from the likes of Champion and the like.

GlenRay did my original in my RR. The Scamp has a Champion, I painted black, works Great!

This Was my local Radiator shop ! RIP

IMG_20240819_123807398.jpg

IMG_20240819_123825493.jpg

Short of a GlenRay, the best I've ever seen is from Griffin. I think you'll find some consensus on that one from
those in the professional trades....
The one I fetched for Fred, on the advice of the Mopar Action fellas, is head and shoulders above anything I
ever got from the likes of Champion and the like.
I ran Griffin radiators in my Ford dirt track cars 40 years ago...their sticker is still on my toolbox.

IMG_20240820_204920945.jpg

My local one looks the same.

Back in '88 my bride and I honeymooned in the Smoky Mountains. On the way to Gatlinburg I spotted a '68 Ford Torino fast back in the weeds behind a used car dealer.

I made a u turn and bought it for $700 on the condition the dealer installed a new battery,fresh oil change and a couple new tires .

Sold!

On our way back home I picked up the car, rented a tow dolly and hitch and drove it back home towing the wife's new Plymouth Duster ( FWD version).

Got to a small town in TN and the top tank on the radiator started leaking...bad. I found a small radiator shop on top of the mountain just outside of town.

It was a Saturday afternoon. I knocked on the front door of the doublewide and the owner answered the door.

30 minutes later I had the rad out of the Torino and he fired up his torch and we were back on the road in no time... just $25 lighter in the wallet!

That Torino had straight pipes and the 302 under the hood sang a pretty song towing her little Mopar the 700 miles back to Wisconsin.

BTW I picked up my radiator from the shop today...they hot tanked it and pressure tested it.

Cost me $50 to get it out of jail...it actually looks pretty nice!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back