• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things we can't do anymore......

Grew up in the 70's, sure miss plaid clothes. Raised in Plymouth, MA just up the street from the Mayflower and Plymouth Rock. At 9 or 10 years old me and a buddy would take off Saturday morning go clear across town on our bikes and come back at dinner time, no concerns. We loved watchin the boats and one day at a local Yacht Club we caught a ride with the local water taxi that took folks out to their boats. On the way back in my Grandma, his dad (a cop) and Mom were all standing on the hill staring down at us as we came in. My *** hurts thinkin about it. I had a paper route too and how did I ever survive not wearing a helmet all those years.

I can't benchpress 300LBS anymore, actually i'm just not game to attempt it again at my age.

LOL, well, I aint that strong, but I used to be able to pick up a short block when I was young and dumb. Now, the heaviest thing I don't wanna pick up but do is a iron head. Machines are a wonderful thing!

With any luck smokin weed will be legal everywhere soon or at least decriminalized,I 2 miss a doob now and again! How have we forgotten not wearing a seat belt at all! weather or not they are safer, I miss having the choice,thats parts of what made this country great,what about smoking in restaurants can't do that anymore,what about wreckless driving tickets for 15 to 25 over,I remember being a kid in my dads 76 cordoba,haulin *** at 105 mph past a cop and he d/n do ****,and Prop obviously is'nt a total drunk if he was how would he get any of the things done on the runner that he has and work a full time job!? I miss having more control over my life and not being over policed and not having the government run my life,and Im only 27 and I can see the **** changing everyday,sorry 2 rant u guys were born in a better time.

I miss pop with real sugar in it. Having the cops make me pour my beer out, or them just taking our weed. My step-daughter got dragged through the system for being caught with cigs when she was 15. Court appearances, sentencing assessment, counseling, fines, 1 year probation. Probably 10 trips in all to the courthouse at the county seat. Oh, here's one....."zero-tolerance". The courts and judges used to have discretion, or mercy, if you were a decent person and just made a mistake. Justice comes in all shades of gray. Now with the zero-tolerance, you might as well have justice dispensed by a computer, 1's or 0's, guilty or innocent, yes or no. Justice has become a machine. Sorry for the rant!

I remember going into the store and giving the money to buy gas and cigerettes for my uncle when I was 8.

YES !!! i remeber that ****, used to walk to the corner store with a couple $$ and get 2 packs of newports in the box for my dad and some milk !!! I WAS IN 3RD/4TH GRADE !!!!!!

Raised in Plymouth, MA just up the street from the Mayflower and Plymouth Rock.
Been there...when I first saw the rock, I said "is that all" lol. Think I was 9 at the time. I was born in Taunton and left for good in 63.

Prop obviously is'nt a total drunk if he was how would he get any of the things done on the runner that he has and work a full time job!?
Exactly my point! :)

And I did the same....go over to the corner store and buy a loaf of bread (19 cents) and a pack of cigs.....but for some reason don't remember what they cost. But I don't miss riding in the car in the winter with the windows up and the car full of smoke. Both my mom and dad smoked. I was always sick as a kid but when I got older and moved out, all that went away but I have pretty crappy allergies today that I have to fight and a cig will set them in motion.

There was a time when I could buy Sudafed without being treated like a criminal. Now I have a stuffy nose and meth is imported from Mexico.

With any luck smokin weed will be legal everywhere soon or at least decriminalized,I 2 miss a doob now and again! How have we forgotten not wearing a seat belt at all! weather or not they are safer, I miss having the choice,thats parts of what made this country great,what about smoking in restaurants can't do that anymore,what about wreckless driving tickets for 15 to 25 over,I remember being a kid in my dads 76 cordoba,haulin *** at 105 mph past a cop and he d/n do ****,and Prop obviously is'nt a total drunk if he was how would he get any of the things done on the runner that he has and work a full time job!? I miss having more control over my life and not being over policed and not having the government run my life,and Im only 27 and I can see the **** changing everyday,sorry 2 rant u guys were born in a better time.

Miss a doob? You don't have to, just don't go braggin' about it on the 'net. As far as smoking in restaurants is concerned, can't say I'm disappointed - and I smoke!!! Even I don't wanna smell that **** while I'm eating. How 'bout smoking in hospitals? Yep, people used to do it all the time, just had to step out of the patient room and into the hallway. Hell, I even remember cig machines in the lobbies of the hospitals, and I'm not really that old (46). People used to smoke EVERYWHERE. Supermarkets, movie theatres, busses and trains, airplanes. Nobody gave it a second thought.

My oldest brother had a paper route too and on occasion my mom would help him by driving the station wagon (early `70's) and we would actually ride on the back bumper with one hand on the handle on either side of the back window and tossed papers with the other. No helmet or pads. Could you imagine seeing that today?, mom would definitely be arrested and it would be seen by all on the 6 pm news.

Ya, child abuse for sure!

I was in fourth grade and my dad bought me my first mini bike. I rode that thing everyday unless there was snow or it was raining. No one would call the police, and the cops didn't care unless someone didn't like it. Now a days, people would complain ASAP.

Kids miss out on some good old fashion good times like we had....

Miss a doob? You don't have to, just don't go braggin' about it on the 'net. As far as smoking in restaurants is concerned, can't say I'm disappointed - and I smoke!!! Even I don't wanna smell that **** while I'm eating. How 'bout smoking in hospitals? Yep, people used to do it all the time, just had to step out of the patient room and into the hallway. Hell, I even remember cig machines in the lobbies of the hospitals, and I'm not really that old (46). People used to smoke EVERYWHERE. Supermarkets, movie theatres, busses and trains, airplanes. Nobody gave it a second thought.

I still smoke, (my last bad habit). I do say I kinda miss having a cig with my coffee sitting at the counter waiting for the eggs and bacon while I contemplate my coming day.

Enjoy riding in the truck bed while you still can...check your state's law here.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/cargoAreas.aspx

Also, some states restrict drivers under the age of 18 from driving with passengers in the cargo area.
And/or that the passenger's belt/waist must be below the top of the bedside.

I put this in a post long ago, but the folks had a 68 Fairlane wagon. We had to pick-up dad at the airport at weird hours. When you fold down all the seats in the back, it was a metal covered skating rink! We had blankets and pillows, and slid like hell on every corner!

I'm with ya on that.....it's sure nice to be able to go out to eat without coming home smelling of cigs or not able to breathe. Hell, smoking a cigar stops me up these days but you know what's funny.....most cig smokers bitch about cigar smoke lol. What's up with that crap!? At least a cigar is pretty near pure tobacco unlike a cig that's mostly full of chemicals...

I remember the smoking in the hospital deal, stupidest thing I ever saw. Here you could smoke in the rooms. I can't say enough about how happy I am when they outlawed smoking in restaurants, now I am just waiting to say the same thing when my wife quits that stupid **** habit.

back in the day

here's what i miss- riding in the back window of the family car,60 cent a gallon gas,muscle cars & parts at the local junk yard,making out in the car with the flavor of the month,buying beer when i was 17,street racing,living with my family[mom,dad,brother-passed away]musclecars as daily drivers-you shoulda seen my high school parking lot-unbeileveable,playing football,my grandparents,riding my mini bike.

Back when I was 7 -10 or 12 we used to call out the cars coming at us on the road. Not just the make, but also the year. We hardly ever missed. Try that now a days.

Back when I was 7 -10 or 12 we used to call out the cars coming at us on the road. Not just the make, but also the year. We hardly ever missed. Try that now a days.
Oh man, you ain't kidding lol. We did the same thing

60 cent gas was mentioned....I remember paying 19 when I was mowing yards and riding go carts. My dad made the mistake of bringing one home. Someone gave it to him and it wasn't running. It had one of those old 1 1/2 horse Briggs on it and I knew those were NOT the one to have and after dad spent enough money on getting it fixed and it still not having enough power to push the thing, I picked up a newer better motor from the dump and had it going the same day. Nothing but trouble after that from getting caught riding on the streets by the police to trying to run from them lol

I had a Sears Cat mini-bike when I was a kid. It was a big, heavy bike with a 3 horse Briggs, slow as **** but fun nonetheless. I wish I had a Rupp Bonanza or a Stella Black Beauty. Those were the mini-bikes to have.

I remember my dad saying "You kids don't know how good you have it". He was right. We should be telling our kids "You kids don't know how good we had it!!!". On second thought, maybe I'll just keep my mouth shut. Don't want to fill my kids head up with anything stupid (even if it is the truth).

Auto Transport Service
Back