• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing Mark Question

boboh1

Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
I need to set the timing on my stock 383. The specs call for 5 degrees BTDC. I see the line in the middle with the hole which I assume is TDC. What is the degree of each line before or after the zero mark? Should the timing be above the zero mark at around the first line? Right now it is 12 degrees below the zero hole mark and dies once it is put into gear.

First line above the ‘0’ is 5*BTDC. Each line is 5* either before or after. You’ll never go below the ‘0’. If you don’t have a “dial-back” type timing light, the easy way is buy a timing tape that sticks to the harmonic balancer. My tape had been on for 20+years.(wipe alcohol on balancer first)

Thanks that explains where I should be initially. This thing is 12 degrees below the mark. Surprised it idled as good as it did.

You won’t ever be that low,lol. I think mine is just above the 10* mark, it’s been awhile!

I was reading it wrong and going the wrong way. Currently it is set 10-12 degrees BTDC and from what I’ve read that may be good.

I was reading it wrong and going the wrong way. Currently it is set 10-12 degrees BTDC and from what I’ve read that may be good.
You set the timing to what the engine likes... not what the "book" says.

Very correct, mine is set at 36* at 2000rpm + w/o vacuum advance hooked up.

Auto Transport Service
Back