• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trickflow Heads with HP Manifolds? Plugs?

Tf heads use a 3/4 reach plug

Firecore

IMG_3868.png

Iron heads take a shorter plug,the part that goes in the head is shorter

I use the NGK plugs also. I would start at heat range 6 and then check the plugs to see if they should be hotter (5) or colder (7)
I opt for the slightly shorter ISO plug length 1.98" (BK) vs the JIS 2.086" (BC). Gives a bit more clearance on cylinder #4 to inner fender on my 440 block with 440 source stealth straight plug heads.
Resistor (R)
Heat range (6)
3/4" reach (E)
In NGK speak, BKR6E is the basic plug number without the firing end and plug gap info where I think the default is (E) V-Groove, 1.5mm projected tip. Then I think default gap is (9) 0.035"
Inventory #6962 for copper
#6418 for Iridium tip
#6364 for Nickle tip

https://www.ngk.com/ngk-spark-plug-numbering-systems

Enter part number in the search, there are several listed with different options.
https://www.ngk.com/spark-plugs-ngk

I use the NGK plugs also. I would start at heat range 6 and then check the plugs to see if they should be hotter (5) or colder (7)
I opt for the slightly shorter ISO plug length 1.98" (BK) vs the JIS 2.086" (BC). Gives a bit more clearance on cylinder #4 to inner fender on my 440 block with 440 source stealth straight plug heads.
Resistor (R)
Heat range (6)
3/4" reach (E)
In NGK speak, BKR6E is the basic plug number without the firing end and plug gap info where I think the default is (E) V-Groove, 1.5mm projected tip. Then I think default gap is (9) 0.035"
Inventory #6962 for copper
#6418 for Iridium tip
#6364 for Nickle tip

https://www.ngk.com/ngk-spark-plug-numbering-systems

Enter part number in the search, there are several listed with different options.
https://www.ngk.com/spark-plugs-ngk
Might try 6’s, what do you look for on plug that relates to heat range?

Thanks for your help. I have a Chrysler electronic distributor set up according to Direct Connection specs. That’s how long ago I originally built the 440. It’s initial 14 degrees and 34 total. The motor ran great 30 years ago but I couldn’t keep it from detonating last five years or so. No more access to octane.

I have Hughes cam and roller setup. First time at that.

I now have an MSD distributor I will try after I break in the motor.

Thanks for the picture. That helps a lot.

Did you use 90 boots or straight for 5&7? I’m sure I will have to make my own set of wires.

Did you put any antiseeze on the plug threads?
I always antisense. Especially on plugs going in aluminum heads

Factory HP Exhaust Manifolds

Plugs 5 and 7 with the Edelbrock E Street 5090 75cc Angled Heads

Went with Ceramic Plug Boots from Pertronix on 5 and 7 , they work awesome

NGK Heat Range 6 - NGK 6962

10.4 to 1 Compression

Zero issues with installation or removal of spark plugs

Not familiar with the angle of the Trick Flows
Thanks for the response

Interesting thread. It seems you have several responses outlining the plug information and I would agree with starting with an NGK 5 heat range would get you in the ballpark. I do have a question regarding the logic behind using stock manifolds on on a performance head. I would be curious as to what drives this decision as there seems to be lots of people choosing this route?

Interesting thread. It seems you have several responses outlining the plug information and I would agree with starting with an NGK 5 heat range would get you in the ballpark. I do have a question regarding the logic behind using stock manifolds on on a performance head. I would be curious as to what drives this decision as there seems to be lots of people choosing this route?
I would think being stealth and looking factory. Factory manifolds flow good

I’m not going racing. If I don’t produce as much hp it’s not a big deal for me. The car before installing the heads tore up the pavement so I don’t have to be the fastest car. I want to keep cost down using my existing exhaust system and keep close to the original look when I open the hood.

Headers typically run hot under the hood and good headers that allow removal of the starter cost a lot of money. Not to mention they tend to be louder driving the car. I want the sound out the back not in the passenger compartment.

If I can use fuel available and prevent detonation using the Trickflow heads I will be happy.

Personal preference.

NGK plugs with the -11 notation at the end of the part # is the gap in mm. 1.1mm = 0.044"

Auto Transport Service
Back