• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Updating the Super Street Mopar

Today I started plotting out my cut areas in the trunk. I need to have a 25"x33" hole in it. I need to have enough space between the tank and nest to the diff cover, then on the rear end of it I need to keep it away from the shackles. I put the tank in the nest with 6 bolts to take some dimensions of top and bottom, sides etc to help me figure placement. Plenty of room for the tank but the nest is a little larger so that has to get factored in. I started brainfarting earlier so I figured it's time to stop for the day before I make mistakes. The nest will get trimmed down in height later.

IMG_5214.jpeg

IMG_5215.jpeg

IMG_5220.jpeg

IMG_5221.jpeg

IMG_5222.jpeg

IMG_5223.jpeg

IMG_5224.jpeg

IMG_5225.jpeg

IMG_5226.jpeg

I got the hole cut and de-burred earlier. Need to do a little trimming on the opening so the nest can fit through. Taking a break for a bit, then back at it.

IMG_5227.jpeg

IMG_5228.jpeg

IMG_5229.jpeg

IMG_5230.jpeg

Since most of the rail flanges on both side were removed for the nest and therefore the welds of the floor to the rails too, I tacked the floor to the rails in several spots. I did this so I could put some clamps on the rails for the nest to sit on for some mockup. I'm waiting to hear back from another member, for some photos of where the rear bars of a similar roll cage I want to use, attach on the floor and rails. I want to have the potential mount area prepped up with some material before I solidify the tank mounting. So far the tank placement looks like it will work fine.

IMG_5240.jpeg

IMG_5241.jpeg

IMG_5242.jpeg

IMG_5243.jpeg

IMG_5244.jpeg

IMG_5245.jpeg

IMG_5246.jpeg

IMG_5247.jpeg

Yesterday I received the Needle Scaler I ordered on the Amazon Prime Day sale. Since I'm somewhat on hold until I figure out where the down bar portion in the trunk for the cage I want to add in mounts, I started working on the front inner fenders to remove the old factory undercoating. Much better than my previous methods using the NS unit. Boy, that factory stuff is sure tenacious.

IMG_5260.jpeg

IMG_5261.jpeg

IMG_5262.jpeg

Over the last week I finished up the lh panel. Hit the asphalt based undercoating with the Victor Wrench[ torch] to make the goo into ash which removes way easier. After that I hit it with some surface prep discs. Today I finished using the NS on the rh panel. Tomorrow it too will get the hot wrench prior to the surface prep discs. After it's done I'll get some Ospho on both panels. I heard back from S&W race cars on the information requested about where their trunk bars attach. They will land on top of the shock crossmember/differential hoop on the frame rails. So since I'm cleared with that info, I welded up the edges of the cut areas of the rail and floor so they are once again solid.

IMG_5265.jpeg

IMG_5268.jpeg

IMG_5269.jpeg

IMG_5270.jpeg

IMG_5271.jpeg

IMG_5272.jpeg

IMG_5276.jpeg

IMG_5275.jpeg

Ck, if you get a chance could you look at a fender for me.. on the fenders i got the place that sold them ripped out the captured nuts that run vertical down the front edge, i'm just gonna weld in some nuts, no big thing.. but i believe the top one was a stud, is it just 1 stud per fender? I trashed my old fenders without taking pics beforehand :(

I finished up the rh panel today. Hit it with the hot wrench, then the wire wheel, followed by the surface prep discs and then wire toothbrush. Vacuumed up the panel areas on both sides, did the lift and floor too for the latest deposits. After that I hit both panels with Ospho.

IMG_5277.jpeg

IMG_5280.jpeg

IMG_5281.jpeg

IMG_5282.jpeg

Yesterday I spent some time wrapping up a couple of maintenance items on the wagon. Once I was done with that, I got tools etc lined out to work on the 65 but figured I'll stop for the day. Today I spent a little time grinding down the welds in the trunk. When I got done with that, whipped out the vacuum and collected today's deposits. I noticed some moisture coming out of my grinder, so I let the pressure off the main air line and removed the Desiccant canister. Nice and pink[ full of moisture], not blue[ dry]. I ordered up some replacement Desiccant off Amazon so in the meantime the old stuff is in a metal drain pan baking the moisture off in the BBQ.
I finally got around to checking for a different rear sway bar thats narrower. The current one is a Hellwig unit so I contacted the tech line. Looks like the one for a 55-7 Chebby, rear, is going to fly. It's 3" narrower which will get those links out of the path of speed bumps etc. I'll put the takeoff unit in the wagon.

IMG_5289.jpeg

IMG_5290.jpeg

IMG_5291.jpeg

Today I cut some of my many scrap pieces to make some L brackets for the tank nest to sit on. I also scribed two more lines per side. 1 is 1" lower than the first, second is 1/2" lower at the back only in case I want a little down angle on the tank. The 1" lower looks pretty good, better than my first line on tank height. It helps out for the fill port, so I may be able to reuse the behind the plate fill. I plan on raising up the chassis so I can see it at droop in case there may be shackle interference issues.

IMG_5297.jpeg

IMG_5298.jpeg

IMG_5299.jpeg

IMG_5300.jpeg

IMG_5301.jpeg

IMG_5302.jpeg

They are a new set that I cut and lengthened 1" to gain a little more room between the spring eye and the frame rail.
So after lunch I raised the chassis up with the rolling jack until I had full droop. Looks fine there. Dropped it back onto the cribbing and reset the cargo straps holding it to the lift. Looked around in front of the tank imagining fuel line and exhaust routing so I can be thinking of those while work is being done. On the exhaust I want to keep it away from the tank as much as possible so I may transition it after the diff to the outside of the frame rail just above the springs. Keep it close to the rail using oval tube there and the transition from after the diff. I also need to be mindful about the tire clearance there too. On the fuel I'm wanting to keep it on the inside of the rail ahead of the spring box but maybe pass it to the outside of the rail after. I want to keep it away from the tire area in case I shred a tire. I started digging out some seam sealer from the area around the filler neck tunnel. I'll finish clearing off that and the floor near the tank tomorrow while I dream up what to do there and to get the tank nest mounted to the chassis.

IMG_5303.jpeg

IMG_5304.jpeg

IMG_5305.jpeg

IMG_5306.jpeg

IMG_5307.jpeg

IMG_5308.jpeg

IMG_5309.jpeg

Those look beefy.. i want to add bout 2" to my shackles, i believe that would get me 1" of lift, right now i will 100% hit my tires with the inner wells, nothing sharp but would rather get some more room, i think 2" shackle will give me 1" of lift and not show, i don't wanna be all thunderbolt and lightfoot :)

And yeah that tank kinda screwed ya on exhaust :( did you move the axle rear a bit?
1722639082469.jpeg

The diff is in the oe location. On shackles you need to be careful on their length, don't go too long. What about some fresh springs with an inch extra on the arch or get yours re-done at a spring shop?

The diff is in the oe location. On shackles you need to be careful on their length, don't go too long. What about some fresh springs with an inch extra on the arch or get yours re-done at a spring shop?
they are brand new ESPO +1" and sit pretty level..

Ok. Maybe some creativity on the wheel offset? How much room do you have, with the current stuff, to the leaf spring?

Ok. Maybe some creativity on the wheel offset? How much room do you have, with the current stuff, to the leaf spring?
1/4ish... actually.. i can move the front spring eye to the lower hole... didn't really think of it cause i didn't make room for it, will have to drill the frame to get a sock in, not a big deal just more crap.. Will lower my pinion angle a bit which i can't afford, but i could shim it if needed... so... issue solved if i have to.. i moved my springs like DWV does, with the hanger against the frame and didn't make a hole for the lower hanger hole.

Auto Transport Service
Back