• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Updating the Super Street Mopar

Today I ran the two pieces through the English wheel first for a little pre stretch of the target areas then ran them through the bead roller.

IMG_5503.jpeg

IMG_5504.jpeg

IMG_5505.jpeg

IMG_5506.jpeg

A bit of a deviation on the car. I'm going on the Power Tour West next month with my friend Darren. We were going to take his 46 Ford truck, but there are too many issues to get it ready so I offered up the wagon as backup. Getting the 67 serviced and checked before we roll. Up in the air for inspection and oil change. I got a pair of pullies from Vanessa at 5 Pointsparts in Oregon. Great gal to work with btw for finding goodies. Anyway, the pullies are getting switched out as the two on there under drive the water pump by a fairly large amount. Crank is 5.25", pump is 6.75". A 1.5" difference. That should help with the cooling! Blasted them a couple days ago, hit them with Ospho then paint once they were dry. Got the shroud out, fan/clutch etc. Started bolting the crank pulley down, got 5 bolts in but not the 6th. Then I remembered about the non symmetrical bolt pattern. So stopped for the day and I'll resume tomorrow.

IMG_5509.jpeg

IMG_5510.jpeg

IMG_5511.jpeg

IMG_5512.jpeg

Spent some time on the 65 over the last few days. The front fill piece is going to work fine. I pulled the tank nest out and put the tank in it. From there I plotted out where the fuel line/vent line/wiring needed to be on the front wall. Once that was marked, I marked out 4 additional spots where I needed to cut holes. The additional holes will be to help air circulate through the area for any fumes from weeping seals. Cut those 5 holes, deburred them, then used my 1.5" dimple die tool on them. I still need to cut a hole in the rear wall of the nest for the fill hose but I'm waiting on that one till I get the fill neck and hose. Need those to plot where that hole needs to be.

IMG_5619.jpeg

IMG_5621.jpeg

IMG_5622.jpeg

IMG_5623.jpeg

IMG_5624.jpeg

Today I ran the two pieces through the English wheel first for a little pre stretch of the target areas then ran them through the bead roller.
You sure have a lot of tools.

A bit of a deviation on the car. I'm going on the Power Tour West next month with my friend Darren. We were going to take his 46 Ford truck, but there are too many issues to get it ready so I offered up the wagon as backup. Getting the 67 serviced and checked before we roll. Up in the air for inspection and oil change. I got a pair of pullies from Vanessa at 5 Pointsparts in Oregon. Great gal to work with btw for finding goodies. Anyway, the pullies are getting switched out as the two on there under drive the water pump by a fairly large amount. Crank is 5.25", pump is 6.75". A 1.5" difference. That should help with the cooling! Blasted them a couple days ago, hit them with Ospho then paint once they were dry. Got the shroud out, fan/clutch etc. Started bolting the crank pulley down, got 5 bolts in but not the 6th. Then I remembered about the non symmetrical bolt pattern. So stopped for the day and I'll resume tomorrow.

View attachment 1727763

View attachment 1727764

View attachment 1727765

View attachment 1727766

So.. i was curious about the aluminum pulley and the mechanical fan.. I have a CVF alum pulley on mine and it's so thick that there is like barely a nub for the fan clutch to center on, which eats at me, was yours pretty much the same way? I just picture the fan going "untrue" and taking out the radiator and other fun bits...

For you Greg, yes I have a lot of tools/equipment in my garage. But of course there are more I would love to have. On that stuff, I have access to them and do trades for usage. And many times I improvise with what I have available. Like that piece of EMT.
Icetech, there was hardly anything sticking out of that pulley to align the fan/clutch. There was just a bare minimum. All better now.

For you Greg, yes I have a lot of tools/equipment in my garage. But of course there are more I would love to have. On that stuff, I have access to them and do trades for usage. And many times I improvise with what I have available. Like that piece of EMT.
Icetech, there was hardly anything sticking out of that pulley to align the fan/clutch. There was just a bare minimum. All better now.
Cool, just glad to see it worked ok.. makes me feel better. Would still prefer a steel one and peace of mind though :)

Along with the lack of alignment for the fan/clutch unit, there was the 22% reduction in pump/fan speed due to the size differences of the two pullies. Good to go now.

My filler neck and hose came in recently. Yesterday I figured out where to cut the hole. Today I cut. Was looking for a 3" holesaw as the hose is 2.5" and I wanted a little wiggle room. In my stuff, I go from 2.5 to 4" with nothing in between. Went by the local hardware store to get a unit to use but it was $22 for just the cutter, already have a mandrel, or the complete unit with mandrel was $19. I decided not to buy, just use what's in my arsenal already. My 2.5" cutter needs to be replaced so I put the 2" one on. After drilling a small pilot hole, I went around the area with my compass/scribe unit set to 1.5" giving me 3". Cut the 2" hole then went through the rest with my airsaw. Filed it down to remove burrs etc. Set the tank back into the nest, put the filler neck on, then tried the hose. I did cut the hose already yesterday so today was just a 1/4" trim to drop it down some. With some old hose, have a bin full just for stuff like this, I'll cut/slit a piece of fuel or vacuum line to make a grommet so the filler neck doesn't get rubbed through by the nest. Once it all looked good. I wiped it down with Acetone, went over the unit with a clean and strip disc, then wiped down with Acetone again. Tomorrow I'll wipe it down one more time with the Acetone prior to getting POR15 on it. I want to have it already coated before it gets welded to the floor of the trunk. Plus there are a couple of spots on the rails that can use some 15 that would otherwise be inaccessible once the nest is welded in place.

IMG_5627.jpeg

IMG_5628.jpeg

IMG_5629.jpeg

IMG_5630.jpeg

After I took care of my morning routine, walk dogs/poo patrol/ trash/wash dishes/charge up bird feeders[ have a massive amount of Humingbirds this year]/water outside[ plants, trees, berries]/clean and recharge cat boxes, I was able to get the first coat of POR15 on the outer surface. More soon.

IMG_5631.jpeg

Got some additional 15 on over the last few days. Topped off with a spritz of Rust Oleum matte black. Today I cleaned the paints off of the areas where welds will happen. Put the unit back in the car, added some additional screws to tighten up the gaps. I was thinking about getting some welding in but will leave that for when I get back from the tour. We head south early tomorrow to Pomona to get checked in. Monday is the first day. Looking forward to this.

IMG_5636.jpeg

IMG_5640.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back