• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Air A/C hose routing - through firewall instead of fender well??

where can I get an aluminum bulkhead firewall connector like you used?
There's a few places you can get them, Billet Specialties, Vintage Air and there's some cheaper ones on Ebay. They can be bought where it's just the heater or A/C lines separate, all 4 inline or like I have, the good ones are around $70.00 but I think I paid $35.00 for mine on Ebay. If I had it to do over I'd spend the extra, I had a helluva time getting the O Ring to seat on a couple where they didn't radius the fittings.

Can I bring my car to you and pay you to install my vintage air system the way you did yours?? Incredible awesome meticulously detailed execution my friend! Holy cow that looks great.
Glad you like it, I'm pretty happy with the installation and definitely happy with the performance of the unit itself.

Sorry, I've been offline a few days upstate...

I used a Bouchillon Engineering unit that mounts the compressor down low and out of sight. Pros about the kit is it does a very nice job of hiding the compressor. For my car, as an Air Grabber car, that was a must.

Cons about the kit are that you cannot run a mechanical fuel pump as the compressor sits where the fuel pump would sit. The other con is that one belt runs the compressor, and then a second belt comes off the compressor and powers the alternator. Getting this to all work well took a few times to adjust, and it is a bit of a pain to get it right. However, once it was right, I drove my car across country without issue.

So it has a few drawbacks, but I think the hidden nature of the compressor far outweighs the small hassles to install it.

Below is a picture of the engine before it was installed where you can better see how it is set up.View attachment 334920

I was dead keen to get this mount, but read alot of warnings about the squealing and 'not recommended for long driving' has put me off. Is it that bad? In summer its likely I'll do a few 2-3 hours drives to car shows in the area, if I have AC, I want to use it on those trips! Also don't want to deal with bad squeals either.

Can you lay some first hand experience out? Any advice on setting it up? Can install with the engine in the car?

I was dead keen to get this mount, but read alot of warnings about the squealing and 'not recommended for long driving' has put me off. Is it that bad? In summer its likely I'll do a few 2-3 hours drives to car shows in the area, if I have AC, I want to use it on those trips! Also don't want to deal with bad squeals either.

Can you lay some first hand experience out? Any advice on setting it up? Can install with the engine in the car?

So I installed my kit and drove my car 5,800 miles across country. I have then continued to drive the car locally in the summer here, so I think I can now say I have fairly extensive experience - we used the A/C a lot during our cross country trip.

What I found is that it takes a few iterations to get it right. It is also a bit of a pain in the *** to tighten and set the belts. The important belt is the belt between the crank and A/C compressor. But once you have it, it works well. Let me explain: First, most of us run our belts too loose - you definitely can't do that with this kit. My first try, the belt was too loose. So I tightened it before the trip and all was good. Then, a couple of days into the trip, I started to hear a little bit of a squeal right when I first turned on the A/C. So I tightened the belt again and all has been good for thousands of miles (I think the belt stretched a little bit and started to loosen).

So if you want a system where you can throw on the belts and never touch them again, you don't want this kit. If, however, you don't mind a couple of tries (and likely a once a year tightening/check), then this kit is great. Personally, I wouldn't trade my system for anything. I would hate to have the big compressor sitting up in front of my Air Grabber.

Installation can be done in the car. Tightening the A/C compressor is a bit of a pain, because you need to tighten three nut/bolt combos to do it. AND, that has to be done with the alternator out of the car (not just loose). After the A/C belt is tightened, then you can install the alternator. Also, a VERY IMPORTANT POINT is that all the pulleys must be perfectly lined up. I had to adjust mine a bit to get them lined up well.

Hope this helps!

Hawk

I agree with the squeal issue what hsorman says and add this. My kit for my car came with everything except the belts, a complete kit and happy with it. Was told by a couple of companies that no two belts are the same, no matter what brand. The variances in the belt diameters can vary it just the way it is. They also said that you can expect to go through a few sets to get it just right (no sqweal) and yes, the belts will sqweal (more than likely). Even spoke to an old Chrysler dealer mechanic and he said the same. Just adding my 2 cents

One belt, seven ribs, one tensioner...... done! Serpentine is wonderful.:lol: I know it's a bit more pricey but man do I not miss farting with belts anymore.

One belt, seven ribs, one tensioner...... done! Serpentine is wonderful.:lol: I know it's a bit more pricey but man do I not miss farting with belts anymore.

If you are not going for an "original" type look, this is probably the best way to go...

If you are not going for an "original" type look, this is probably the best way to go...
And you've done an excellent job of updating your ride while keeping it looking very much factory, a non Mopar fanatic wouldn't know the difference. I do like the clean look you've got under the hood.

Hi Hawk,
What amp alternator are you using? I bought a 130 amp unit to power all my accessories and that will be an extra load applied to the crank to compressor belt. Please respond. Thanks.
Mike

Hi Hawk,
What amp alternator are you using? I bought a 130 amp unit to power all my accessories and that will be an extra load applied to the crank to compressor belt. Please respond. Thanks.
Mike
I had a 100 amp alt running on a single belt, it would squal for the first couple minutes after firing it up every time. I think your going to have trouble, I'd want 2 belts on it or a smaller alt. Did you figure up your amp demand?

I had a 100 amp alt running on a single belt, it would squal for the first couple minutes after firing it up every time. I think your going to have trouble, I'd want 2 belts on it or a smaller alt. Did you figure up your amp demand?

Yes, I did. My stereo amp alone draws 50 amps. I don't need the stereo on while starting the engine or the A/C for that matter. This compressor location will determine whether or not I even install an A/C system so I'm researching. Great thread here!
Mike

Yes, I did. My stereo amp alone draws 50 amps. I don't need the stereo on while starting the engine or the A/C for that matter. This compressor location will determine whether or not I even install an A/C system so I'm researching. Great thread here!
Mike
Sounds like your in the same boat as me, power seats, 2 amps, A/C, dual electric fans, etc. I went with a serpentine belt kit that puts the A/C pump in the same location as Hawks but still allows for a mechanical fuel pump. I did a thread on it, it's a $650 kit but requires some junkyard shopping for modern mopar accessories and then a reverse rotation pump and Chevy tensioner. Very nice clean kit if not going for the original look.

I went web surfing yesterday and found Billet Connection and better lower mounting system. I believe this will be my approach.
Mike

So the main difference between the vintage air and classic auto is that the later has serpentine belts? Are there any other differences between the 2? Can i put the compressor on the classic auto kit under the engine as well?

Are those high amp alternators a common after market item? I need one to run my 50" flat screen tv while running my coffee brewer and stereo? Though on a serious note i do plan on adding some electronics and stuff like heated and A/Ced seat kits.

So the main difference between the vintage air and classic auto is that the later has serpentine belts? Are there any other differences between the 2? Can i put the compressor on the classic auto kit under the engine as well?

Are those high amp alternators a common after market item? I need one to run my 50" flat screen tv while running my coffee brewer and stereo? Though on a serious note i do plan on adding some electronics and stuff like heated and A/Ced seat kits.
What you do for belts is your choice although they may offer some options, I'd check out their websites along with Summits and others. As far as A/C pumps go they both use Sanden pumps which are pretty much the go to standard anymore meaning most belt setups are designed for mounting them.

Hi Hawk,
Mike

Hi, Sorry for the slow reply - I was on vacation hiking in Yosemite - Awesome!

I have a 70 Amp alternator. It is plenty for what I run. I need to run the EFI computer, high(er) power stereo, A/C and that's about it (of course in addition to the stock systems). It is a newer style so it does a better job of providing more power at lower RPM.

Yes, they are common. Just buy a newer style alternator. You can see it by the difference in the back of the alternator.

I don't want to go off topic too much here, but the alternator is just a SMALL part of the electrical system. If you put tons of power in your old wiring you are asking for trouble. One of the most common issues with these old cars is that they burn due to electrical issues. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! The old wiring will support about 35 amps MAX. If you run more than that, you are taxing your wiring. Yes, plenty of guys will argue that they have been running 70 amps with their original wiring and they have been fine. That is like saying you have driven home drunk for years and never had an accident. One will invariably happen (or they really are never drawing the power they think they are).

I'm not trying to get on my soapbox too much here, but I just don't want to see folks get in trouble due to almost 50 year old brittle, thin wiring...

Yeah I guess I'm getting the Ron Francis XP777 with all the goodies for extra circuits and more power. If wiring and chassis is like a foundation for a home, Then my foundation will be a 300 Ton marble slab. Which may or may not ad an extra challenge to the wiring for the a/c since the instructions are for stock harnesses.

So classic auto offers a serpentine belt kit for a little over $2K or was that $1.5k? My brain ain't so good anymore. I wonder about the power steering pump, which i should get assuming my front end kit doesn't come with one because evidently which pump you have is important when converting to serpentine.

Also I need to start researching compressor location, cause mine will need to be under the engine since I plan on putting a paxton super charger up top. I wonder if those can come with a serpentine? I also might get front strut braces and A/C tubing and hose routing will probably have to be accounted for.

Man these A\C kits are all inclusive.

Yeah I guess I'm getting the Ron Francis XP777 with all the goodies for extra circuits and more power. If wiring and chassis is like a foundation for a home, Then my foundation will be a 300 Ton marble slab. Which may or may not ad an extra challenge to the wiring for the a/c since the instructions are for stock harnesses.

So classic auto offers a serpentine belt kit for a little over $2K or was that $1.5k? My brain ain't so good anymore. I wonder about the power steering pump, which i should get assuming my front end kit doesn't come with one because evidently which pump you have is important when converting to serpentine.

Also I need to start researching compressor location, cause mine will need to be under the engine since I plan on putting a paxton super charger up top. I wonder if those can come with a serpentine? I also might get front strut braces and A/C tubing and hose routing will probably have to be accounted for.

Man these A\C kits are all inclusive.
You might call SD Concepts, that's where I bought mine and they will tweak things for your application.

Auto Transport Service
Back