• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

vinyl top and rear kick panels for '73 se

oldcane

Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
Guys, my wife says she can't find a top for her SE. The ones the guy that is going to do the top can find he said are all one seam. We need a 2 seam top. Any suggestions on who carries these? I'm sure someone has to.

Also, not sure if this is the right name or not, but she wants to replace the rear kick panels/arm rest/whatever they are called. You know, next to the back seat where the ash trays go. She said all she is finding are for manual or electric windows. Her windows do not come down as they are the fixed opera windows.

I haven't started looking myself but again, suggestions on where you guys get these will get me in good with the wife. I won't even say "I told you so".

Legendary has the vinyl. If you already have a vinyl top, measure the distance between the seams. It's either 40 or 45 inches. My '73 is 40. SE's ONLY had Cobra grain tops. The same grain is on the window louvers. Depending on measurement above, here are the part numbers....

VTL8RX(C)C/P40C (Cobra) (3/4 front “Canopy” top - 40” center deck width w/ pillar post)......... $174.00/ea.
V Cobra grain tops were only available on 1973-74 Charger SE models.

VTL8RX(C)C/P45C (Cobra) (3/4 front “Canopy” top - 45” center deck width w/ pillar post)......... $174.00/ea.
V Cobra grain tops were only available on 1973-74 Charger SE models.

The side panels are just called door panels. The window crank or electric button is NOT mounted in the lower panel, but in the upper panel. '71 and "72 had seperate paded arm rests, '73 and '74 was molded in the panel. They are 1 piece except '74 which has a seperate lower corner due to shoulder belt retractor mounted to floor. Legendary also has these but not cheap. Not cheap from other sellers either.

Ok, excellent, thanks.

On the panels, these are the ones for back seat we're talking about, right? I saw that CI did indeed have these and I kinda figured window activators would be above these so that's one good thing. It seems that it would not matter in that case whether it's electric or manual or not at all but they still show as 2 different parts.

oldcane;

What is wrong with the rear panels? If just a color change your wife wants, try paint from Herbs Parts.

Not trying to start anything but yeah, I know. She said when she takes these out they will probably crumble. She's go almost everything else painted.

Ok, excellent, thanks.

On the panels, these are the ones for back seat we're talking about, right? I saw that CI did indeed have these and I kinda figured window activators would be above these so that's one good thing. It seems that it would not matter in that case whether it's electric or manual or not at all but they still show as 2 different parts.
Yep, the rear lower plastic panels.

Well, update to an old thread. She took them out, painted them and put them back. They didn't crumble. They had a few cracks and so now (since she has to pick at everything) there are a couple of tiny spots where you can see the uh, stuffing/padding?

Anyway, they look fine to me. They are in the back seat of her driver. Nobody is really ever going to notice. She's been doing a great job. She's not real happy with how the package tray took paint but to me it looks great. It's a driver and a cruise-in car that needs some body work and paint. That's coming soon she says.

Now, on the top, she's still tinkering with the idea of not putting the top back on. I keep telling her if she wanted a rallye she should have bought a rallye instead of an SE but I keep thinking if I leave her alone on her build she'll leave me alone on mine. That'll work, right? Right?

Tell her that without the vinyl top, the SE opera windows stick out like a sore thumb. Its her ride, she can do what she wants, but it will look much better with a new top

Yes, I'm married. LOL My wife lets me do what i want when it comes to my car. When its finished, she wants a sports car done for her.

Well, it's a brand new day so a brand new idea. Now, she thinks it really needs the white top. First it was that it needed to be black. Then not at all, the black, then not at all, now white, like it is and we've been suggesting to her all along. Even the top guy thought black would really take away the head turning ability it has now. So she cleaned and polished and scrubbed and got it looking really good yesterday for 40 year old paint and lots of dings.

Then, as usual, something under the hood set her off. Looks like ps fluid is leaking from the steering box, being blown all over the side of the engine and header from the super duper mega flex fan she wanted and smoking like a train. So now it goes back to the shop. She won't let me touch it since I complain. I'm just not having a lot of faith in this shop. It's like they do just enough to make her happy for a week (I wihs I knew how to do that....). I guess they need the repeat business.

Auto Transport Service
Back