• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

well crap.. flooded out !

Flood ins is almost always separate.

I wonder if a drainage engineer (or just s good look at the elevations and where runoff might be coming from...

could show you where to grade/install landforms and/or drainage, to keep it out of the vulnerable areas.

Flood ins is almost always separate.

I wonder if a drainage engineer (or just s good look at the elevations and where runoff might be coming from...

could show you where to grade/install landforms and/or drainage, to keep it out of the vulnerable areas.
I don't know of any insurance company that will offer flood ins.....pretty sure it's all FEMA

Been through this many years ago. A dehumidifier is your best friend, and a fan too. Get the interior stripped apart so it doesn't mold. Change fluids. Dealing with insurance is a pita. Good luck.

I have always bought on a hill. To me it looks like you live in a river bed!
Good luck with the clean up.

I don't know of any insurance company that will offer flood ins.....pretty sure it's all FEMA
I know USAA and Allstate do, but you have to add it as a "Rider" on your policy if you happen to be in a flood plain as listed on the county plat map. When I bought my first AZ house, Flood was not needed, but on a subsequent renewal, I learned all about it. In AZ there were 3 levels: A, B, C for 100yr /500yr /1000yr flood zones. Almost everywhere in FL was flood zone, and you needed Hurricane insurance too. I would assume all insurance companies will underwrite the "riders", but maybe not. Insurance companies should ask if the property is in a flood plain when applying for insurance, and if you are not sure, you would need to check with your county P&Z dept. When you do get it, you need to know which plain you are in to get the correct level of insurance otherwise they can deny coverage or amount if a problem occurs.

Very important to demo the wet stuff as soon as possible.

got hit with 4+ inches of rain in less than an hour sunday afternoon, caused a flash flood, my charger was on the ground, thankfully, the satty was on the lift.. waiting on insurance adjuster now, charger had water up past the seats.
only the garage and man cave flooded
View attachment 1721580View attachment 1721581View attachment 1721582View attachment 1721583View attachment 1721584View attachment 1721585View attachment 1721586View attachment 1721587View attachment 1721588View attachment 1721590
So, so sorry to see & hear that
I hope the insurance company makes it good

still a PITA to deal with

good luck

That sucks,sorry to hear about what happen. Yep once again the insurance company screws us. Hope everything works out for you. Were in Tennessee ? I have family there in Knoxs

if it makes you feel any better my shop on Long island (NY) flooded almost yearly...highest I had was 3ft...and it was salt water...after I sold the new guy got 7ft in hurricane Sandy...fresh water does very little damage by comparison, but it still sucks...especially if you had no clue you were in an area where this could happen

Sorry to see that. After seeing it now maybe the time to put some massive drains and large pipes if you can to a lower level so it can never pond like that again. Hope everything works out for you.

Where in Tennessee ? I have family there in Knoxs
Yeah, what part of the state JP??
Knoxville is only about an hour and a half from here - but it's a world different topo-wise.
Much flatter over there (we're in the hills over here in NE Tennessee). It often gets down to which
holler you're in as to whether you're susceptible to flooding or not.

We're very blessed to be some-hundred feet above any flood stage (short of Noah variety, of course) -
but I chose that 30 years ago, too.
Back in the day, we'd occasionally get insurance salesman calls trying to get us to pick up flood insurance.
Tickled me no end, of course - I knew right away they'd never seen the place.
My standard reply was "if we ever get under water here, we're ALL in serious trouble". :)

You've got a real nice place there JP - hope it all gets sorted for you real soon! :thumbsup:

Just spoke to ins adjuster, his gut feeling, charger will be a total loss

Yeah, what part of the state JP??
Knoxville is only about an hour and a half from here - but it's a world different topo-wise.
Much flatter over there (we're in the hills over here in NE Tennessee). It often gets down to which
holler you're in as to whether you're susceptible to flooding or not.

We're very blessed to be some-hundred feet above any flood stage (short of Noah variety, of course) -
but I chose that 30 years ago, too.
Back in the day, we'd occasionally get insurance salesman calls trying to get us to pick up flood insurance.
Tickled me no end, of course - I knew right away they'd never seen the place.
My standard reply was "if we ever get under water here, we're ALL in serious trouble". :)

You've got a real nice place there JP - hope it all gets sorted for you real soon! :thumbsup:
Hey Ed,

I THOUGHT we are in good place, half way down a holler., problem was way too much rain in a short period. drainage just could not keep up. it just happened soooo fast

I called Serve Pro and had them out here that night , 4 big dehumidifiers set up, cut out all the lower drywall and removed insulation the next morning.
other than the charger, most wont be too bad.

trying to work with state/county to improve drainage issues

I have always bought on a hill. To me it looks like you live in a river bed!
Good luck with the clean up.
LOL, it isnt really, there is a small creek that runs through my property, but is always 6-8 feet below the foundation level of the garage

Just spoke to ins adjuster, his gut feeling, charger will be a total loss
Don't let them take the Charger, settle but you keep the car if you fix it. MO. If you don't want to fix you'll need to decide you sell it or they take it.

Glad to see you're on the path to recovery quickly @jprather . Hopefully you don't lose the Charger. Good luck on your quest to improve runoff control. Remember, gravity is not just a good idea, it's the law!

In my experience, FEMA policies are a bank requirement when acquiring a mortgage. The bank has been the entity to tell me a property is in the 100 year flood plain and requires flood insurance, which is determined by the title company involved in the purchase. I have one rental that required it, and the cost increased an average of 20% a year until it was ridiculously unaffordable. There are no alternatives, so I made a concentrated effort to retire the mortgage and dropped the policy. If it bites me in the *** it will be my fault, but the city that the property is in has made multiple improvements in controlling the nearby river since the last flood in '96.

1725640430794.png

Sorry to hear about the flood. Good luck with the clean up.
May I offer the following: From the looks of this photo the drain at the end of the swale was either too small or blocked by debris. I would consider removing the pipe and recreating the swale to the stream beyond. From the looks of the other photos there is a lot of area draining to this low point.

View attachment 1722622
Sorry to hear about the flood. Good luck with the clean up.
May I offer the following: From the looks of this photo the drain at the end of the swale was either too small or blocked by debris. I would consider removing the pipe and recreating the swale to the stream beyond. From the looks of the other photos there is a lot of area draining to this low point.
yes you are correct, there is a drain pipe that runs UNDER both properties to my right ( down hill side ) . have calls into state to see if the can help, never had a problem with volume, the 3rd property to my right is where the drain pipe exits, how ever, it was abandoned several years ago and the creek path is very over grown, i think this caused a back up / slow flow in the pipe with debris being caught as soon as the water exited the pipe.
just below the closest stump to the right in pic the is a 24 inch drain pipe about 9 feet down, so the water there is 9 foot deep in this picture

Auto Transport Service
Back