• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

I had an old Delta portable planer kick'n around that hadn't been run in ages. I thought about replacing it until I saw the price of a new modern one, or at least a better quality one. That said, I decided to take the old Delta apart and getting going again with a few modern upgrades along the way. I replaced the old original 3 flat blade cutting head with a true Helical 40 blade cutting head. I also installed a vacuum chip collection hood that captures and collects nearly all of the wood chips coming off the cutter head. Yesterday I started making up a set of portable in-feed and out-feed tables for it that physically attach to the planer itself. I'm not quite finished with them yet though. I still have to make a hard top surface for the tables.

IMG_8021.JPG

IMG_8061.JPG

IMG_8060.JPG

Cutting head replacement was a drop in?

That's cool.

Cutting head replacement was a drop in?

That's cool.
With the old Delta 22-540, Yes... The bearings come pre-mounted on the shaft, so it only takes about 15-20 minutes tops to swap out the head. I tore the entire machine down to the last nut & bolt however, because I wanted to refurbish the entire unit. That said, I spent a little more time on mine ensuring that everything else was cleaned, polished, lubricated and operating like new again.
Planers from other manufacturers may not be so easy though. Some of todays trendy popular brands are nothing more than pretty overpriced painted turds that were not designed to be serviced. You can expect to be working on one of those for hours.

From my seat today. My brother is in the scraper tractor. I am happy to be running the D8H today instead of working on it. 1246 cubic inches is bit loud w a 8" pipe.

20240417_103635.jpg

20240417_103642.jpg

20240417_162455.jpg

Last edited:
Ran another old starter that I had, in pieces, over to my rebuilder. The one I dropped Tuesday apparently had the solder melted out of the armature connections and would have taken hours to repair and no guarantee it would be good. If you want to run OE be sure to grab any spares you can.... as he can no longer get armatures and a limited supply of brush plates are left out there.
20240418_123630.jpg
20240418_123104.jpg

Rolled grass all afternoon, didn't even get high.. just cold and tired. Spring eh... floater suit and ski mitts for 5 hours.
1714072660892.jpg
1714072664773.jpg
1714072669476.jpg

If you want to run OE be sure to grab any spares you can.... as he can no longer get armatures and a limited supply of brush plates are left out there.
Don't forget the main stud and the large 'penny washer' for the solenoid part inside.

I had issues with a burnt main stud. Luckily my motor rewinder friend was able to silver solder it up good as new.
Lasted a long time after that.

Packaged up a pair of my rebuilt Bendix disc brake calipers, and got the packages over to my local UPS Store, on the way to my buyer.
Walked, the morning walk around the neighborhood, and also put a couple of miles on the bicycle.

Worked on daughters car, bushings and links, no more clunk clunk.
Then to mine to local cruise in
It was a good day.
IMG_3091.jpeg
IMG_3096.jpeg
IMG_3096.jpeg

Got the new winch installed on my trailer. Going to need it in a couple weeks.

IMG_3685.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back