• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jack are you hauling?

Hilljack68

Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
Seeing as those factory bumper jacks are less than optimal, I was just curious to see pictures of what type of jacks you guys are carrying around in your trunk. I'm sure not putting my 3-ton floor jack in there. I know the trailer queens don't really need one, but for the cars that actually see the pavement... what are you using? Thanks.

I like to have a late model scissors jack in every car.

Prayer.......honestly on both of my cars one has no spare and the other has an original bias ply and a bumper jack.......rolling on luck and a prayer and the fact I am usually 30min from home and I can have the old man come with a tire if need be hopefully haha!!

:thumbsup:

There are many different styles and they are relatively easy to stow.

I prefer ones with a flat top unless the pinch weld is the only lifting spot.
I have one that has a flip top to covert between the two.

I also prefer the ones with a folding lug wrench as the handle rather that the ones with the weak hook on a long rod.
I've been known to use those at the shop with an air ratchet/gun.

There are even some htat have 12v motor operation from the cigarette lighter.

I have a bumper jack in the '73 and a small floor jack in the '69 (the bumper jack broke). I've used bumper jacks for decades and only had one problem. I'm very careful when using a bumper jack. It also takes some practice to get the angles right as the weight of the car shifts when using one to raise a vehicle. When I was 17 I used a bumper jack to raise my first car ('73 Firebird) and as the car went up the weight shifted until the jack and the car fell over. I learned my lesson.
I like bumper jacks. It's a real pain to raise the '69 with a small floor jack. But it is kind of nerve wracking to raise a vehicle with a bumper jack and I don't rely on the bumper jack to hold the vehicle up any longer than absolutely necessary, I have a jack stand ready to go under the car the moment the car is up high enough.

I use a cheap aluminum Harbor Freight floor jack, I put it in a bag, when I drive distance. I also have the bumper jack but will never use it (more for show). I also have towing on the insurance.

I have towing on my insurance-no jack or spare.
Mike
I have as well....but I won't call them out for a flat. Over here you change your tyre at the side of the road like a man. Only pretty lady's in heals with painted nails would not be embarrassed to have to ask the recovery driver to do something as simple as change a tyre! To be honest I don't think my wife would be able to change a spare!

I have AAA also but most car insurance policies have roadside assistance also. Check your policy.
When was the last time you saw a person with a BMW, Mercedes or a super car changing a flat?

My problem with bumper jacks is that you have to raise the car at the bumper exceptionally high to get the same lift that a scissors jack provides on the frame in front of the spring hanger. Does not change the balance nearly as much either.

Back when I was about 15, I saw the 18 year old girl down the street using a bumper jack to change the rear tire on her 74 cutlass.

As soon as she got the wheel off, the car started rolling forward (no chock).

I ran as fast I as I could the distance of three houses and driveways and grabbed the rear bumper.
It was all I could do to hold it from moving and I yelled for her to put the wheel back on.

I chocked the front and helped her finish the job while we had a good laugh.

After that I started to get introduced to her 3 year older than me friends that were in between boyfriends.

That's a pretty cool benefit at that age!

I have a small floor jack.

I'm with YY1.The pic-a-part yards are full of scissor jacks.I get them from the mid/late 80's M body Mopars.Cost about $5 to $10 with handle/lug wrench.Somewhat heavy duty-er than the foreign small car jacks. Plus the have the Mopar Pentastar !
Don't want to jinks anyone but when was the last time you had a flat that you needed a spare?

I carry a sissor jack in the Bee and the Bird! The Bird came with one.. :lol:

If that doesn't work, my Hagerty coverage has guaranteed tilt and load service.
superbirdcleanup20182019 1359.JPG

I have a phone and my credit card, the rest is magic.

I'm with YY1.The pic-a-part yards are full of scissor jacks.I get them from the mid/late 80's M body Mopars.Cost about $5 to $10 with handle/lug wrench.Somewhat heavy duty-er than the foreign small car jacks. Plus the have the Mopar Pentastar !
Don't want to jinks anyone but when was the last time you had a flat that you needed a spare?

Mid 80's in a junkyard?????? Wow come to NY....rot boxes from 99 and newer are the only thing left in the yards here. The rest are gonesville and rotted since 94ish lol.

:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back