• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whose happy with their standby generator....

Update on an old post; I decided to go with a Kohler 20k , dual fuel, nat. gas or propane, standby unit WITHOUT auto switching. It fired right up and seems to run just fine using propane. I did run a permanent 120 volt feed which is used to keep the battery charged up when not running. Battery required is a small R51 car battery. I found the exhaust system a bit odd, the engine dumps all exhaust gas inside the unit and fans draw cool, outside air in one end and pushes it out the other end. I assume this helps keep the noise level down somewhat.

IMG_0749.jpg

Thanks Guys, it seems most are pleased with their Generacs so I will do some serious checking on them. Now to find a good dealer to deal with. Seems with the dual fuel units that use either gasoline or propane/natural gas is that LPG makes less power thus lower wattage output. Guess that means one needs to over rate power needs in order to not be short. Does that sound right?
That is a false statement. LPG has a higher octane rating than natural gas thus burning better ( more efficiency) and producing more power. Look it up.

That is a false statement. LPG has a higher octane rating than natural gas thus burning better ( more efficiency) and producing more power. Look it up.
I have looked it up and it is correct. While this Kohler gen. uses either LPG or natural gas, it does produce more power using LPG than natural gas, correct. My other duel fuel gen. uses gasoline or LPG, and it makes more power using gasoline.

In have two Generacs in my MA & NH homes. Both are permanently mounted. One I've had for about 10 years & the only issue I've had is with the choke solenoid issue & is still on the original battery. The other is 4 years old & has had no problems other than a battery replacement.

Update: The replacement battery I bought for the newer unit 1 1/2 years ago is dead. :rolleyes:

I have a 15KW generator powered by the PTO on my tractor. Run the power cord from my 240V welder through the dog door to it, turn off the main breaker and I am back in business. Used it twice last month.
Edit: Should have said turn off the main breaker first before doing anything with the Generator

Last edited:
Nice thread
I am planning to install a genset at my place since there are only about 6 houses on my road we are very low on the repair list. It's mainly the winter storms that get us knocked out for a couple days.
I'm tired of hooking up the small generator.
I have propane and will use that for fuel mainly due to maintenance and noise.
I believe I'll go with the generac and automatic transfer switch
Another reason why I like b bodies site for this kind of information

I have a Generac 8KW automatic that is about 10 years old. It runs my Furnace, well pump, refrigerator, a chest freezer and powers a few outlets and lights.
I have a service contract with a local guy and keep up on the service and software updates.
So far so good.

I just purchased a Generac 22kw whole house with automatic transfer switch. I went with
LPG since we don’t have natural gas lines on my road.

If you are in the market, you should get multiple quotes. While time consuming, it really helps with finding the right generator for the right price.

I have a 14 KW Kohler generator. Had it about 10 years. Only issue I had was first year it would not start when outside temp dropped to single digits. Found out we had the only generator sold in the Northeast without a throttle body pre heater. LP tends to condensate therefore freezing up and not starting. After heater installed never had a problem.

The one I bought came with the cold weather kit standard. The other quotes I got it was. $395 extra. I also got a much longer warranty included free. The company I went with also has enough staffing that they have 24/7/365 service.

It pays to shop around ! At least it did for me

Who's happy with their generator?

1728765084981.png

So far I have not had need for one due to our relatively stable nationwide power supply network........although with the advent of EV that could change.

I have several clients now looking for generators just to run plant for various other reasons. Looking at a 3-phase trailer unit capable of up to 120 Amp starting for a machine. I have a Rep who is looking into that for me right now.

Sooo, how many of you that are running on natural gas had to have a larger meter installed on your house to cover the use of the generator as well as the furnace and other gas appliances?

Hey @cosgig didn't know you were over here! Hope Ian and Nella are doing well. Put in a Generac after my power went out with my wife having pneumonia. Burned everything we had in the fire place to keep her warm. Out new Generac came on 6 times in the next 6 months and I knew we made the right choice. Good luck with your choice!

Hey @cosgig didn't know you were over here! Hope Ian and Nella are doing well. Put in a Generac after my power went out with my wife having pneumonia. Burned everything we had in the fire place to keep her warm. Out new Generac came on 6 times in the next 6 months and I knew we made the right choice. Good luck with your choice!
Hey Wayne, what’s happening, bud? Yea, I’m here too, just can’t get enough Mopar. The kids are both doing well. I was asking about the meter on the house because my neighbor is installing his Generac as we speak, and he had to get a new meter because of the additional BTU’s required by the Generac.

Whole house generators are a problem when they quit working during an outage. Ask me how I know. If you are fortunate enough to find an electrician that will back feed your panel to plug in a portable generator than that is the way to go. A 10kw tri fuel portable generator will run most everything in your house including your heat pump. Not all at once of course but when you back feed through your box you can select which breakers to turn on and off. If your portable generator quits during an outage you can swap it out for another. I have 2 backup 3kw generators new in the box to use just in case. I also have solar powered generators that are the first thing I use for short term power outages. The 2kw battery solar will run my well pump. Smaller 300w battery solar run tankless water heaters, freezers, lights, etc., and are easy to move around where needed. With the large Solar panels you can recharge them in a couple of hours or fire up the gas generator and quick charge them in about an hour.

I just had a 14kw Generac hooked up last week. Runs on natural gas. Had a big power outage two days later. Generator kicked on and worked flawlessly. One of the last big items on my list to get done before retiring. I’m liking it!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back