• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX

Okay, I'm stumped on this one.
Of course, I neglected to take pictures way back when I took it apart.

This picture shows that I am about 2" short of where I need to be. The steering column is adjusted all the way out, any farther and the bracket slides
off the retainers.

View attachment 1601022
They should or will go in either way. But the wrong way and it has all kinds of slop in the steering because the shoes are too narrow and move around in the coupler body.

Saved the pic and ordered the kit.
The seal was pretty much shot anyway and now I will know for certain it is done right.

Do you happen to have a diagram/source for the horn button contact. The brass looking circle that has some kind of backing on it?
The backing material is all cracked and fallen off of mine and I cannot remember how it when in there.
Does this show what you need?

thumbnail_IMG_8752.jpg

They should or will go in either way. But the wrong way and it has all kinds of slop in the steering because the shoes are too narrow and move around in the coupler body.
Pulled it back apart. They were in the wrong way and there was no spring to be found either.
Glad I have experienced guys on here to help!

Rolled it outside today so I could rearrange the work area.
These are the wheels and tires that came with the car. I was surprised they still hold air.
Left Side View.JPG

Left Quarter view.JPG

Dark Argent Silver paint came today so I got the tail panel sprayed. Also installed the GTX emblem from the original panel.
Dark Argent Silver applied.jpg

GTX emblem installed.jpg

Looking at ordering a complete decal kit from this place: 1968 Plymouth GTX COMPLETE Decals & Lower Body Stripes Kit | eBay
Includes the tail panel and lights decals.

Car came from the factory with blue sport stripes. Not exactly sure what they looked like because the fragments that were left are so old.
Stripe color.jpg

1706917487408.png

1706917506670.png

Both taken from the internets, but if IIRC this is what they look like.

Did you scuff and prime the chrome? The color looks good…
The previous argent paint was well adhered so it only took some sanding in places to get rid of nicks and scratches.
The dark silver paint actually fills pretty decent and dries quite quickly. Everything you would expect for nearly $40 a can with shipping. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1602672

View attachment 1602673

Both taken from the internets, but if IIRC this is what they look like.
Thanks, I was wondering if that was the blue, since it's the only one I can find on '68s.
The guy selling the kit called it Peacock Blue and said that it was very rare. I am trying to get him to send me a picture so I know what I'm getting.

Got the sway bar installed today. Ended up using the brackets it came with.
Sway Bar Installed.JPG

Still need help with how to install this:
1707019782168.png

Steering coupler kit came:
Coupler.jpg

Got the parking brake cables hooked up and adjusted.
Still waiting for stripe kit to get here but started installing tail lights.
Left Tail Light.JPG

Need to find where I put the trunk locking mechanism. I still have 9 boxes with parts in them. Numbered each one and wrote everything down in a notebook but still have parts hiding somewhere.

Steering coupler kit came:
View attachment 1605012

Got the parking brake cables hooked up and adjusted.
Still waiting for stripe kit to get here but started installing tail lights.
View attachment 1605018

Need to find where I put the trunk locking mechanism. I still have 9 boxes with parts in them. Numbered each one and wrote everything down in a notebook but still have parts hiding somewhere.
You sir are not alone... Check your sock drawer... :rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back