• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX

Yes.

Calipers Correctly Installed.JPG

Caliper Right Correctly Installed.JPG

Last edited:
I am looking for the correct color Argent Silver for my tail panel and light bezels. The original seems to be a lighter than the paint I have seen advertised.

Also, should the red (?) decal stripes be reflective or not? And should there be black paint inside the PLYMOUTH letters?

Here's what was on the car but not even sure if it's the original:
Tail Panel.JPG

This is the replacement panel that I am working on:
Top View.jpg

One other question is how to repair the broken studs on the back. The top and bottom studs on each end are broken off.
Pins Broken Off.jpg

For the studs I’d grind them flush and use an epoxy to attach a small machine screw. I have used Loctite brand for similar fixes with good results.

Not sure if the red is reflective…

I bought the red stripes YEARS ago and they are reflective. I cannot remember where the hell I bought them though. Yes, the Plymouth letters have black on the insides. I used the same dark argent that @Black_Sheep posted above.

It was a bitch to tape. Biggest part that sucks is you have to get the whole thing chromed and then sand off like 90% of it.

DSC09663.JPG
DSC09783 (2).JPG
DSC09784 (2).JPG
DSC09785 (2).JPG
DSC00008.JPG

For the studs I’d grind them flush and use an epoxy to attach a small machine screw. I have used Loctite brand for similar fixes with good results.

Not sure if the red is reflective…
Thanks for the help, I will fix the studs like you did.

Are you sure the '68 GTX tail panel was "dark" argent? It seems that some are lighter than others but I guess it could be the way the light hits it.

Must have been typing at the same time as MarPar as he answered my question.

Thanks guys.

Are you sure the '68 GTX tail panel was "dark" argent? It seems that some are lighter than others but I guess it could be the way the light hits it.
It is. You can see in my pics the first one looks lighter, but the other 2 look darker.

Must have been typing at the same time as MarPar as he answered my question.

Thanks guys.

My ‘69 GTX finish panel is light argent which is more silver in appearance. Reproduction and original ‘68 panels are darker and more gray in appearance than the ‘69. I think there are slight color variations in textured argent paints depending on the batch and how it’s applied.

Another thing that has me stumped.
Anyone know what this is?
What is it 1.JPG

What is it.JPG

At first I thought it might be the Idler Arm bushing but I checked and the bushing is still in place.

Ordered new Idler Arm and Tie Rod ends today.

Could be part of what remains of an original strut rod bushing... They use a steel sleeve to limit compression...

When I got the car a lot of the parts were in boxes, so maybe it doesn't even belong to this car. The guy did give me a windshield but when I uncovered it, immediately I knew it wasn't for this car.

I went with #12 wood screws as the screw nuts seemed to fit them very well.
It wasn't easy to get them vertically lined up with the existing pins, but with a little grinding here and there I finally got it.
Was only able to get one end done today but it should go easier now that I have an idea of what to do.
They are adhered with Gorilla Brand weld material as it had a slightly higher bond strength than the JB Weld.
Pins Replaced.jpg

I went with #12 wood screws as the screw nuts seemed to fit them very well.
It wasn't easy to get them vertically lined up with the existing pins, but with a little grinding here and there I finally got it.
Was only able to get one end done today but it should go easier now that I have an idea of what to do.
They are adhered with Gorilla Brand weld material as it had a slightly higher bond strength than the JB Weld.
View attachment 1593149

I like your fix. If you're worried about strength, you could get a piece of fiberglass drywall tape, place it over the screw, and epoxy over the mesh. More surface area for the bond. That's what i've been doing.
mesh.jpg

Well, I bought this sway bar kit and it arrived today: 1 1/8" Front Sway Bar 1962-69 Mopar B Body | eBay
When I test fit the bar into position, the U-shaped mounting brackets wouldn't line up. I checked my service manual just to be sure I was looking at things correctly.
Contacted the seller and waiting to here back from them.

Thanks. It appears that the brackets they gave me are not the correct ones. As the ones in this .pdf file have two components which change the angle of the bushing to match the bar.

Cleaned the stickers and clue off the tail panel.
Stickers removed.jpg

Used a sharpened chisel to get the majority off, then a torch with Map Gas to warm the adhesive and single edged razor blade to remove the residue.
Tried adhesive remover but it didn't work as well as the heat did.

From there I mixed up some ebony black base with clear coat and applied the first coat of black inside the letters.
Letters Painted first coat 1.jpg

Used this to get it in there:
Fluid Writing Pen.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks. It appears that the brackets they gave me are not the correct ones. As the ones in this .pdf file have two components which change the angle of the bushing to match the bar.
I just ordered some sway bar brackets from Energy Suspension. I still have the ability to return the sway bar kit, but really like the bar and the other kits are huge money. So once they arrive I will give an update.

Auto Transport Service
Back