• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 post or four post lift?

Pouring a slab in back of the house for a lift. Been watching craigs list and can get either 2 or 4 post used fairly readly for 1-2k . Leaning towards a two post, but guy has a four post for sale of 1,ooo right now. Is the jacking of the car on the lift to work on wheels/brakes that much of a pain, or is the roll on worth it hassle ?

When I built my backyard shop in 2006, it was in the plan to eventually install a 2 post lift. I vaulted the ceiling to give me 13'6" of clearance at the ridge. Over the years since, I have delayed getting the lift for many reasons. Just last week I said F*** it and made the decision to do it.
This thing is fantastic. I've had it one week exactly and had 5 vehicles on it so far. I have a rolling oil drain and 2 tall jackstands for supporting mufflers and pipes. I see the 2 post as being far superior because it allows total freedom for any type of repair. Who wants to work around the drive on platforms that 4 post lifts use. Jacking up the car to get the tire off? Really? The 4 post units may be fine for exhaust, trans and other stuff but tire and brake, suspension work, etc require you to work around more obstacles.
Screw that...

- - - Updated - - -

I see after reviewing a few responses that some of you actually bought cheap lifts without naming names. I can understand trying to get a good deal but what us your life worth? I can see the engraving on the Tombstone..."He said he got a GOOD deal"
Saving a few bucks on paint or upholstery ? Sure... The worst that can happen is the stuff wears out quicker. You are willing to spend less on a car lift that you STAND under than you did for your seats or paint job?
I am in no way a Safety Freak. I work construction and see the crippling impact that CAL-OSHA has on our industry. I just imagine the hours of work, the thousands of dollars we invest. Cars can fall when lifts fail. The best you could hope for in that instance is that the damage is limited to the car, not YOU.

I'm just starting to look at 2 & 4 post lifts and read a lot of comments, I personally have seen two cars fall off of 2 post lifts & 1 almost fall off, also one thing that I think of all the time is I if you accidentally opened your door on the post ? paint job on my 68 Bee is over $12,000, that's why i'm leaning toward a 4 post

I'm leaning towards 4 post because I'll have the ability to move it if I have to.... I know I wouldn't want to make a hobby of it but it will be nice to be able to move it if I decide I need to make room for another project... like I need one.

2 post if you only intend to use it for maintenance, 4 post if you plan to use it for storage. Storing a car on a 2 post long term is not good, but a 4 post is not very useful for most maintenance outside of changing fluids.

2 post all the way. I don't have a shop, so mine's outdoors I built a steel support frame, 2x6 rectangular "H" pattern for the base, and 2x2 (overkill LOL) for triangular braces. On my pickup, I made a connector across between the bottom of the carriages for additional bracing on the towers. That too may be overkill

id9n5w.jpg

Had this awesome and cheap 4 post for 7 years now ! Comes with 4 casters so you can move it around the garage ,, with a car on it !!! I also went with the bridge jack . Highly recommend you get one if you go with a 4 post.

I have a 4 post with the rolling trolly jack,I agree a 2 post is better for all mechanical jobs but i need a lift to store a car underneath, last week I replaced the leaf springs on the 66 belvedere,not much of a problem but if I had a 2 post I would have needed a couple of those tall jack stands, Te way I did it I didnt need to take the wheels off.20150907_170001.jpg

Personal preference. For me its a 4 post Bendpack 9klb that will do my lb cc dually[ dodge of course!!] with a 4500lb capacity rolling jack to lift up one end or the other. To me the 4 is more stable, you can more easily move them and there are no sagging body issues on our old cars like you can get with a 2 post.

Auto Transport Service
Back