• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 low oil pressure

Ill try and take the video of the noise today. Looks like a PITA to take the oil pan off.
If you think getting the pan off is a pain? Better rethink trying to fix it in the car. In the last week my pan has been off, cam was damaged, new cam checked for spec and degreed, valve springs pressure checked, checked for coil bind, (required master cylinder removal, built a new windage screen, headers off and resealed, All in the car. Just depends how hard you want to work.
Doug

20240420_124541.jpg

20240424_171140.jpg

You have checked the flex plate bolts and torque converter bolts for clearance. Used the correct length starter bolt and stud? If so it stethoscope time. Move it around till the source is found.

Ill try and take the video of the noise today. Looks like a PITA to take the oil pan off.
Big block not that bad. Jack car up n put on stands. Disconnect one side of center link n swing out of the way. Unbolt pan n if I remember correctly, drops right out.

Change the filter to a Wix and fill it up with VR1 20w-50 (or equivalent) and get it warm and see what the oil pressure is. 10 LBS per 1000 RPM is the minimum standard. You want at least 50 lbs at 5000 rpm.
I had a thread here where I was dealing with a similar issue.
I had 39-40 psi at 70 mph which for me is around 2000 rpms. This is almost double the old suggestion of 10 lbs for every 1000 rpm. To me, that still seemed low by Mopar standards. I tried a standard volume oil pump in my engine under the false belief that the higher volume pumps eat power and delivered pressure that was excessive. Looking at a gauge reading LESS than you're used to seeing is not comforting.

I had a thread here where I was dealing with a similar issue.
I had 39-40 psi at 70 mph which for me is around 2000 rpms. This is almost double the old suggestion of 10 lbs for every 1000 rpm. To me, that still seemed low by Mopar standards. I tried a standard volume oil pump in my engine under the false belief that the higher volume pumps eat power and delivered pressure that was excessive. Looking at a gauge reading LESS than you're used to seeing is not comforting.
I concur with that. The HV pumps definitely put you at 70+ psi at speed. Standard pumps is 40 psi

I concur with that. The HV pumps definitely put you at 70+ psi at speed. Standard pumps is 40 psi
Now this is an area that can be tailored. Though not necesary. There is nothing the matter with 70 psi. The power loss is miniscule. How ever by using a lower pressure relief spring, adjustable relief spring plug, or trimming the length of the relief spring will lower the upper rpm pressure. The relief spring in my racecar pump is so short it rattles. The lifter bore clearance is .0015". Had to trim the spring to get the pressure down to about 75 psi hot with 25 weight oil.
Doug

Now this is an area that can be tailored. Though not necesary. There is nothing the matter with 70 psi. The power loss is miniscule. How ever by using a lower pressure relief spring, adjustable relief spring plug, or trimming the length of the relief spring will lower the upper rpm pressure. The relief spring in my racecar pump is so short it rattles. The lifter bore clearance is .0015". Had to trim the spring to get the pressure down to about 75 psi hot with 25 weight oil.
Doug
How much oil pressure would you have without the short spring? What makes your oil pressure so high? Just curious. My 440 runs around 80 psi with a high volume pump.
Thanks

How much oil pressure would you have without the short spring? What makes your oil pressure so high? Just curious. My 440 runs around 80 psi with a high volume pump.
Thanks
Close to 100 psi Lifter bores are a huge internal leak, especailly when worn.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back