• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Belvedere 318 poly granny cruiser (one day i hope)

Fenders ready for paint.. will 400 them one last time then shoot, waiting for some more paint to show up though
2024-08-09 18.02.51.jpg

Finally painted my fenders.. spent a month working on them (weekends and such) thought i had them straight and smooth... and they look like a bag of walnuts. Really mad bout that but it fits my MO...
Knocked down the orange peel last night and wish i had left it, not the bad **** stands out more. But.. they are good enough for a beater. I will never know how bodyguys make **** straight..
2024-09-02 09.34.42.jpg
2024-09-02 11.03.48.jpg

And after using a denim pad/leveling compound
2024-09-04 18.05.49.jpg
2024-09-04 18.06.02.jpg

Also going to yank my tailshaft off and check the governor.. The car seems to be starting in second when in drive, but 1st in 1st... and the gov is the only part i didn't look at/take apart cause what are the odds it has issues after 60 years?

Today i learned a big lesson about pre-fitting body panels.. fenders looked perfect off the car... put them on and the passenger one got bent at somtime in the past and the bodyline was 1/2 high and out... i got it close but it will never be right.. will have to keep a eye out for fenders. These ones came from one of those AZ junkyards.. no rust but not good..

Got the lower valance ready for primer..

2024-09-08 14.54.39.jpg

2024-09-08 14.54.51.jpg

soo.. fun continues.... Went to put my grill in tonight and nothing fits... i took a tape measure and my width from fender to fender (hood opening edge) is 1/2" too narrow for my hood.. and i beleive it's my passenger fender since the gap for the grill is too tight on that side. Just unreal... I don't get how a fender can be this damaged without it showing on the skin..
When i first mounted the fender it was bent up and out at the bodyline in the back, i got it much better.. but not perfect..
This is a pic of how bad it was, i literally bounced my fat *** off the top and got it back down where it's supposed to be. rear spacing seems fine (checked with tape measure and measured hood)

So... either i shim out the front a lot which i have never seen on a mopar.. or i take the fender off and try to bash the inner mount (where the 4 bolts go down the inner fender at the front ) and try to bring it out some.. I had to shim it but if i take that fender off it's gonna go badly. Kramer has a fender that would be like $700 with shipping that is in "OK" shape..

Soo.. just venting... my sister is going to come over one day soon to help me put the hood on, i will align it with the cowl then i can actually see what's going on with the fenders. I'm the it's the passenger one though since th grille is too tight on that side also.

Whats funny is the skin of the fender looked near perfect, it must have gotten crushed in shipping or something to bend the mount..

1726013954975.png

Yeah, looks like it got squished some.
Yeah... i got the body line almost perfect but that front pinch i don't know what i'm gonna do yet.. replacement fenders are crazy expensive if you find them, and no telling what you will get since this was one. If i shim it, it will work but, i will know....

You started with a really nice original car . I would have fired it up and been driving it for the last two years!

Not trying to be critical... It's just when you are 75 your options are limited . Drive it or die with it in pieces.

Have fun ...

You started with a really nice original car . I would have fired it up and been driving it for the last two years!

Not trying to be critical... It's just when you are 75 your options are limited . Drive it or die with it in pieces.

Have fun ...
If the motor had been savable i would have.. it was locked up and when i took it apart it looked like it had never once had a oil change, then sat for 40+ years.. **** was hard as cement inside. Also had tons of rust to fix and such...

Using another body, maybe one person pushing the fender in at the body line till it matches up and the other down low to tighten the fasteners? Kind of body and fender chiropractic maneuvering.

Using another body, maybe one person pushing the fender in at the body line till it matches up and the other down low to tighten the fasteners? Kind of body and fender chiropractic maneuvering.
no... i got the back part lined up (basically put a ton of my weight on it to get it down into position in the back)... my problem now is at the front.. the opening for the hood at the grill is 1/2" too narrow.. gonna figure it out once the hood is on and i can see how **** lines up..

Auto Transport Service
Back