• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A couple header questions

Car #4

Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
My 440 has Hooker headers. The right side header leaks so we replaced the gasket but it still leaks. I had a mechanic check it with a stethoscope and the leak is in the centre of the header. He thinks the header is warped.
Question 1: Can you plane that header down flat?
Question 2: Can you buy just one header or do you have to buy the pair?

Headers are sold as pairs. However you may be able to get a used one. The flanges can be flattened but some creativity may be required.

Is it still a one piece flange? If so, I'd cut between the end tubes and the center two.
Then, you might have to weld the divider between the center two tubes, and file them flat.
My hookers came in eight pieces. Ten, if you count the header extensions.
(Sc440 beat me).

So if I understand your theory, cutting between the tubes would let the studs pull the flanges tight to the head individually and hopefully negate any warpage?
It is now a one piece flange.

A large flat file is your friend. I didn't used to file the flanges but once I started doing it, no more leaks! Also check the welds around the tubes to make sure they are solid. I even filed new ones.....

A large flat file is your friend. I didn't used to file the flanges but once I started doing it, no more leaks! Also check the welds around the tubes to make sure they are solid. I even filed new ones.....
Almost crazy enough to sound like science fiction.

I always file new ones too. Too lazy to do the job twice.

Almost crazy enough to sound like science fiction.

I always file new ones too. Too lazy to do the job twice.
Never was lazy until my older years lol but always hated doing the same job twice and still hate that!

Common problem. What I've done in the past: Check header flange with straightedge to confirm it's warped. Remove gasket, place a couple of washers between head and header outside of the center ports and tighten down, strike center of header using a hammer and long punch, check with straight edge, reassemble and enjoy the quiet. Of course the money spenders won't condone such activity.

Common problem. What I've done in the past: Check header flange with straightedge to confirm it's warped. Remove gasket, place a couple of washers between head and header outside of the center ports and tighten down, strike center of header using a hammer and long punch, check with straight edge, reassemble and enjoy the quiet. Of course the money spenders won't condone such activity.
I've had headers that looked good with a straight edge that still leaked. After that, ALL of them got the file regardless of what the straightedge said lol

A file tells you everything you need to know in 2 seconds.

I've had headers that looked good with a straight edge that still leaked. After that, ALL of them got the file regardless of what the straightedge said lol
So are you filing without cutting the flange?

A file tells you everything you need to know in 2 seconds.
How do you know without using a straightedge? I’m not seeing it. Or are you filing with the length of the flange as opposed to across the flange?

How do you know without using a straightedge? I’m not seeing it. Or are you filing with the length of the flange as opposed to across the flange?
It's fairly straight forward.
20240904_115031.jpg

Back in the day of $125.00 cyclones we used double felpro gaskets.
But that was the same time frame as $10 used starters :rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back