• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone bought a finished car?

ezra

Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
I see a lot of people say after a lengthy restoration that if they could do it again, they would buy a finished car to begin with since it would be a lot cheaper.

For me, as my mechanical ability and more importantly tools/resources are low, it's the only way to go. I think half the fun is in the nostalgia of taking an old car and stripping it and redoing it, but it's just not in my future, financially or otherwise...it would take 15 years. Downside with a finished car is that you don't really know what you're buying or know the car as well, and there's the element of not being able to appreciate it as much.

The other option is to buy a project car and then have a professional restoration company strip it and build it (any Mopar specific companies?) but that's almost terrifying because it surely would be extremely expensive, and once you're in it you're more or less committed to having to pay their prices when the resto inevitably goes over the estimate.

So who here has done both (restored/had one restored and bought a finished car) and what are your impressions of each? Which do you prefer?

I see a lot of people say after a lengthy restoration that if they could do it again, they would buy a finished car to begin with since it would be a lot cheaper.

For me, as my mechanical ability and more importantly tools/resources are low, it's the only way to go. I think half the fun is in the nostalgia of taking an old car and stripping it and redoing it, but it's just not in my future, financially or otherwise...it would take 15 years. Downside with a finished car is that you don't really know what you're buying or know the car as well, and there's the element of not being able to appreciate it as much.

The other option is to buy a project car and then have a professional restoration company strip it and build it (any Mopar specific companies?) but that's almost terrifying because it surely would be extremely expensive, and once you're in it you're more or less committed to having to pay their prices when the resto inevitably goes over the estimate.

So who here has done both (restored/had one restored and bought a finished car) and what are your impressions of each? Which do you prefer?

I have done both. I just traded into a "done" car this summer. As all of you know, there is no such thing as a "done" car. There are always things that you want to change or improve on. I have a much deeper attachment to the car that I did myself, and I know what I have there for sure. The '71 was traded into, and the '75 is all me.

75rr.jpg

cars.jpg

I have moderate ability and moderate finances. What I try to do is find the most solid and unmolested "project" I can. What I usually look at first is the quarter panels. I know I could weld in a floor if I had to, but the finish work on quarters is just not going to happen. I also look for poor paint. Just like a house, a good solid car with faded paint is a lot cheaper than a shiny one. Even though good quality paint job prices have skyrocketed in the past few years, you can offset the cost for a few years, plus you are more likely to see any problem areas with the body, and not have to worry about messing up the new paint to fix them.

I could also change an engine if I had to, but for me right now it made better sence to pay a shop $180 to do it in two days. Any thing smaller than those types of tasks I'm generally OK to do myself.

I thought about it and made the right decision !

For me, the decision was pretty easy. I have had a few Mopars in my life and when they were gone I was feeling just fine. I have built and then let them go without remorse. My project now is the one I always wanted. The decision was easy. Do it my way and do most of it myself. I take pride in everything I do in life. I am just that way. My curse is that I care and care how people see me. My car is the one I always wanted and I intend to keep it forever. Doing it myself creates a bond with the car. It has won every show I have put it into. I get asked a zillion questions about it when it is at shows. I can answer each question and explain what the heck I was thinking when they see all the changes I made to it( You would not believe how many changes I made to the car). It's a pride thing. At the time I started I had the cash to sign a check and wait for the finished project. The economy has stopped me in my tracks for the moment, but I always say that I would rather have one of the best half done cars out there than not have one at all. I have also changed direction as the build progressed. A shop just sees the finish line and may not consider any devation to a project. Will the car be a passion or a project ? I guess it comes down to that for me. A passion that is a 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury.. Hope this helps !!! Moose

64 Small pix.jpg

Car 039.jpg

I am 6 yrs into my 71 RR. Paid $4750 for it. Lots of work since then as money and time allow. New gas tank, sending unit, fuel lines. filter, regulator, carb.
New wheels, tires, shocks, wheel cylinders. seats: front and back.
rear springs too. Of course fluids, new radiator, Tranny rebuilt, Frame straightened and subframe connectors installed.
Now I am onto paint, replace one door and fender already.

I love my 71 RR and have no plans to sell it when done.

BUT- if I had been patient= The Darth Vader Cordoba AND the nice 73 Dart with a 318 on Moparts would be in my garage and I would still have money left over for gas.

I would have enjoyed driving those cars instead of working my 71 RR.
I never had my heart set on a 71 but having worked on it for a few years and developed a vision it has become like a child U raise and nurture.

My next car will be a DONE car. I can tweek it without having to rebuilt it!
I'll just wait longer for the cash or take out a bigger loan. LOL
But I plan to keep the 71 Runner.

will never do a complete restoration again, i find cars that are done to perfection.
this last one i got was completely done, i just dropped in my motor and trans. saved a ton of money building one.
YORKCARSHOW2010BESTMACHINE65DODG-5.jpg

YORKCARSHOW2010BESTMACHINE65DODG-4.jpg

FINISHED605B1TSCORONET012-1.jpg

FINISHED605B1TSCORONET006.jpg

i saved $40,000 by doing it this way. Starting from scratch,i'd have $100,000 into this race car. I have less than 1/2 in it now.

FINISHED605B1TSCORONET009.jpg

all the hard work was done.i got to do the fun part.

B1CFUPDATE014.jpg

I have one I bought done and one I am building. I could probably have 3 SRT Challengers for what I have in both of these cars. Like mentioned earlier, the economy pretty much stopped me in my tracks but I had almost everything bought before it did, now its all about time.
I did not want to have the car of my vision and not know anything about it. I am lucky enough to have a friend who has a shop with just about everything you could want to do this type of work. he agreed to "tutor" me through this build and I agreed to pay him his shop time etc. It will be less than if I paid someone to build the whole car but it still cost me a ton. I will have a one of a kind car when done.
I would not build another car I think, unless My friend agreed to the same deal....I got too spoiled with all the equipment and tools he has that I could never think about gathering...one because of the cost and two because of the space.
Buy as done a car as you can afford. As you drive it and learn it,and time goes by, you will maybe want to build one or find you are happy the way it is.

finished or not

Even though no car is ever finished,I know what you mean,ive had alot of cars projects to 1000 pointers.I tend to run in cycles i'll restore a couple then i'll buy a done 1,even though i tend to tear into them also.I think yes you do save money buying done cars.

I bought my Duster as a (basically) done running driving car. It ran, but it didn't drive and had a LOT of issues.

I bought it over the internet.

Countless hours and dollars later, it's a dandy ride

Yea, Id be buying a finished/ better condition car if I had the chance...Think I bought my satellite in the worst condition possible.

Invest wisely cause the rest will be expensive to finish- but you do take more pride in a car that you have worked on than a turn key :)

I have done both. I just traded into a "done" car this summer. As all of you know, there is no such thing as a "done" car. There are always things that you want to change or improve on. I have a much deeper attachment to the car that I did myself, and I know what I have there for sure. The '71 was traded into, and the '75 is all me.

Love your 75 roadrunner!! I have a real soft spot for them.

I don't have the tools or the skill. Based on some of the auctions, I'd buy a finished car for sure. There are some real buys. Caveat Emptor though. My driver will never be what some of those rotiso's are. There are some sweet deals out there. Just buy the right car. That includes the color.

Auto Transport Service
Back