• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Ever Traded Cars?

Local time
1:31 AM
Reaction score
Around 2001 or so I traded my 68 Dart for a 70 Charger. The Dart had a rollbar, original paint, a 440 transplant, and ran 12's. The Charger also had a original paint and was a column shift plain jane 383 2bbl car. We were both ready for a change and were happy with the deal (even after it was done!).

Has anyone else out there traded cars successfully and have a story to share?

I traded a 67 Camaro, really nice square tube chassis car, tubbed & tinned
2,500-ish #s, alum head Brodix SBC 377cid/pg/9" ford/4 link/coil-overs/14"x32"s
that ran low 9s consistently, all day long
it was a dedicated racecar
for another dedicated real racecar
a Brogie 27t altered, all fiberglass body, chromoly tube chassis
with a really mild all alum BBC/pg/9" ford/4 link/coil-over/15"x33"s car
that wasn't finished, not painted, still needed to be wired & battery etc.
it was great for both of us,
I was tired of the Camaro had a couple of them, he wanted one
ready to run
& I wanted a project,
I got one for damn sure, still had my other 23t Altered/FC with a 23t body too
but wanted something different, to play with nostalgia racing
it eventually went low 7.0's@188-190, like 2,000#s with me in it
I didn't keep it long, but it was what I wanted
or thought I wanted at the time
I sold it & I bought with the funds from the 27t
an 87 TransAm Jerry Bickle pro-car, that had a SFI 7.50 chassis cert already
fiberglass everywhere except the roof & A-pillars
professional class cage & seat, full chromoly tube chassis
but an 'unfinished car' as a roller, (no engine/trans)
with all body, tin & Lexan work done
I turned into a T/S car...

87 T/A shitty photo
1988 Govn. Cup & Night of Fire Sac-Raceway my 85 TA 7.90 car #2 starting line.JPG

so I 'eventually turned' my low 9 second Camaro into,
a low 7 second T/S car from the trade/associated funds after & parts I had
It worked out for me pretty well, along with a lil' sweat equity later :poke:

Most my trades, normally;
I seemingly got the short end of the stick, usually just parts, not whole cars
many of them I was tired of, or they were used up
&/or I was helping one of my buddies out, so it was all good...

Last edited:
Traded a 70 Chevelle convertible for my 68 R/T. We did it sight unseen, which I know is dumb. Traded tons of pictures first. The other guy won. He managed to forget to take pictures of the inside of the trunk on the passenger side which would have revealed that the 1/4 panel had been smashed in to the point where it dented the trunk floor extension and will need to be replaced. I blame myself because I know it was a dumb thing to do. I thought he would be on the level since he also owned a 6 pack Super Bee. I guess honesty isn't brand associated.

Last edited:
In 1982 I traded my then boss my '66 Ford Raunch Wagon winter beater for his '69 Sport Satellite even up. I was a bandit in that deal. It was just a 318 auto on the column with a bench seat, but I wish I still had that Sport Satellite.

Traded lots of parts for parts over the years......but never traded a running driving car for another.

Traded a 70 Chevelle convertible for my 68 R/T. We did it sight unseen, which I know is dumb. Traded tons of pictures first. The other guy won. He managed to forget to take pictures of the inside of the trunk on the passenger side which would have revealed that the 1/4 panel had been smashed in to the point where it dented the trunk floor extension and will need to be replaced. I blame myself because I know it was a dumb thing to do. I thought he would be on the level since he also owned a 6 pack Super Bee. I guess honesty is brand associated.
"I guess honesty is brand associated."

I'd make a terrible used car salesman.
Deliberately decieving someone in a car deal ain't in
my playbook.
I've traded straight across a few cars. Pointing out the
good and bad in each.

I traded a solid 71 SSP 318 car with a 383 6bbl transplant for a 70 RR 383/833 original plum crazy car. Also solid. Both were daily drivers. I got the better end of the deal but was stupid enough to sell the RR. Doubled my money but still....

I traded a 69 Charger 500 project car to Troy from Texas for a 70 Charger R/T V code 440 Sixpack project car. Troy traded the car away and it has since been restored. I am still working on the V code Charger R/T. No complaints, the cars were worth equal money at the time,and both restored are probably still about the same money.

20210925_133419.jpg

Well, I once traded a 69 super bee 383 4 gear for a 76 dart sport with a slant. Oh ya a traded a 70 swinger for the super bee to get the ball rolling. Both trades with the same guy. Kim

"I guess honesty is brand associated."

I'd make a terrible used car salesman.
Deliberately decieving someone in a car deal ain't in
my playbook.
I've traded straight across a few cars. Pointing out the
good and bad in each.
Had to go back and edit my post. I meant to say "isn't brand associated".

Few years back I had an AZ 65 Biscayne 2 dr sedan. Super solid body with fairly good white repaint. Traded for a 65 Fury I 2 dr sedan. Low miles original with 1 half assed repaint.

It turned out we’d both been wanting to offer a trade but figured the other wouldn’t bite. Had a good laugh over it.

We both still have the car we traded for and thoroughly enjoy them.

Years ago I traded a Miata that I just stopped driving because of back issues for a 65 Karmann Ghia. The Ghia was a mess but looked cool and I had been wanting one so no regrets. It was basically a bondo’d turd with shiny paint. Here is a pic of it behind a scooter I rattlecan painted.
IMG_1475.jpeg

I traded a 2000 Pontiac T/A WS6 with 10,000 miles that ran 11 sec quarters for a 68 Coronet 440 Super Bee Clone in 2006. Just sold the clone last year.

IMG_0395.jpeg
IMG_0388.jpeg
IMG_0387.jpeg
IMG_0379.jpeg
IMG_0373.jpeg
IMG_0376.jpeg
IMG_0395.jpeg
IMG_0388.jpeg
IMG_0387.jpeg
IMG_0379.jpeg
IMG_0373.jpeg
IMG_0376.jpeg
IMG_0372.jpeg
IMG_0381.jpeg
IMG_0392.jpeg
IMG_0391.jpeg

I have traded partials. (Rollers & parts) Never a car straight up. I'm the only Mopar guy I'm my old neighborhood. So not interested in my buddies Novas or 55-57s. Also have a problem letting anything go. Lol.

I have a decades long trading story…..

My buddy had a 72 Sportster that belonged to a well known biker in my area. It was a basket case, a frame, trans and crankcase with one jug, and some other miscellaneous parts. I completely built the bike from swap meet parts and rode it for one summer, when Chucky Boggs wanted it back. I traded it back to him for a 64 Belvedere.

I repainted the belvy and installed a 440 I had from a 70 Charger, and drove it for a couple years, when I spotted a 67 GTX sitting in front of a house across the street from a job I was doing. It had a 440 with a 6bbl setup on it and a tri-power air cleaner on it from a 67 Corvette. It also had a spun bearing on the crank, which is why it was sitting. I drove tue Belvy to work one day and offered the owner a trade, and he accepted. I sold the 6bbl setup and used the money to rebuild the engine, and traded the air cleaner for all the soft seals and parts for my 66 Barracuda project.

About 25 years later, I decided that if I was going to get my dream car (1970 Roadrunner) that I better start looking. I wanted to trade even up for a running, driving RR when one popped up in the next town over. It was found by a guy I knew, and he offered to trade it for my GTX and some money his way, because it was a V code car.

I am now complete and satisfied with the RR and can now die happy. But I’m currently looking to trade my 66 Signet convertible commando car for a nice gen2 Dodge short box truck. I love to trade stuff.

CFE74704-E4B6-46B8-AECE-79519A504903.jpeg

DA318788-642D-489F-91FC-0F865070A0D1.jpeg

FDA0D885-FD14-4F70-B641-729A36504C52.jpeg

C4BDF9B5-6990-4F18-A1A1-819AD80686CE.jpeg

A184C8BD-CA49-49CA-9799-5C4E774092A2.jpeg

D2445518-2B4C-42EE-AA04-ABB60A5596CC.jpeg

My one and only trade was back in the 90s when I traded a 78 Camaro Z28 that was my wife's daily driver for a 18' Bayliner. She wanted something that got better mileage and I wanted a boat, so I did the trade. I inspected the boat but the battery was dead, so I got a lot of info word-of-mouth from the cousin of a friend that owned it. When I got it home and put a battery in, I learned that the outdrive motor was bad, so I replaced it and got the boat running. The first time I launched it I saw that the winch rope was rotten so I bought a new strap that I planned to install the next time I launched it. So, the second launch I pulled to the top of the ramp, removed the rear tiedowns, installed the plug and removed the safety chain on the winch. As I was backing down the ramp the winch rope broke and the boat slid back off the trailer about 10 feet short of the water and landed squarely on the recently repaired outdrive which stopped the boat from leaving the trailer completely, the nose sticking up in the air. Immediately there was about 1,400 people gathered around to watch the spectacle and inform me that you remove the chain at the bottom of the ramp. Miraculously, the outdrive was not damaged and the crowd helped me winch it back onto the trailer to complete the launch and go boating. There are more stories about this boat, none of them particularly good. The Z was solid and ran great, and to this day I regret that trade.

Traded a nice '65 Satellite I just finished for my friend's '66 Coronet 440, fact. 383 bench seat 4-spd. Loved that car but only got to enjoy it for a year and had to sell it to buy my first home in '94.

Auto Transport Service
Back