• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought me a used euro lemon

I'm not really clear on the whole dealer's license thing. You said the guy was a private seller, but since he sold more than six cars a year he had to use his friend's license. Do you need a license to sell a car as a private seller in Texas? If not, and he sold the car to you as a private seller, do you have any paperwork that shows the transaction was performed under this friend's business license, like a receipt from a brokerage or dealership, dealer name on title, or on the title transfer? If the only information that is on the record shows the car was sold by the seller, then he and his buddy are just going to deny any affiliation with the sale.

In Texas you can sell up to 6 cars a year as a private seller. Anything over that you need a dealers license. I purchase the car from the "private seller" but all the paperwork shows that I purchased from his friend that has an actual dealers license.

*UPDATE*
I got home this morning and went through all my paperwork with the car. No where on the paperwork did this guy show ownership or even sign the paperwork over to me. His friend with the license did all of that. From my understanding this is not right, and I am going to build my case off of this shady deal on their part.
PLUS the mechanic called me today, ready for a long list? Keep in mind I only paid 7k with ttl for this car.
Tranny needs an overhaul

Valve cover is leaking
Timing cover or seals are leaking
Coolant temp sensor is leaking
WRONG ball joints and control arms were installed
Pass. side CV axle knuckle broken off and have no grease
Both turbos leak
Driver side motor mount is broken

My total to fix the tranny, then engine mount and CV axle is $6026. I would still have to address the coolant sensor and oil leaks. Maybe fix the turbos depending on how the oil leak has effected them.

Go after the guy with the dealer license. Call the guy and tell him all you want is your $7000 back or you are calling a lawyer. The dealer should be bonded.

Go after the guy with the dealer license. Call the guy and tell him all you want is your $7000 back or you are calling a lawyer. The dealer should be bonded.

I'm telling to guy right now that he has until Monday to pay for all the repairs or buy the car back plus mechanic fees I already paid. If not then I am going after the dealer to give him one chance then hitting the court house steps like Rocky Balboa Tuesday morning.

digress - What part of N GA are you in? I lived in Cartersville and actually bought my coronet in Kingston.

- - - Updated - - -

OH AND the guy said he was retired and cars were just a hobby. Turns out the guy used to own a used car dealership here in town. So he knows exactly what he was selling me.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Now if you were in Florida, you could deal with this guy for just a few hundred bucks, there are people in Miami that own let's call them "after sales warranty service businesses". They get the job done quickly, cleanly and there are no witnesses.

Thats a big problem in va where i live with guys selling cars using dealers plates they get or rent off dealers and they are supposed to be selling them at lots not from their house . testate of va apparently dent rawly do a lot about it though they will post cars on craigslist you will see the plate in pictures with these guys and some times there will be no plates same phone number different cars , if you want good examples look at washington dc craigslist over half the cars i see are sold by these type of people ,

Really? Really?

Well after 1500 phone calls and my suspicions are correct. They way I was sold the car was illegal and being that the car is a junk box I can take him to court.

But being that George W messed up the court systems the dealer may get a fine for using lending out his license and the cops will give him the opportunity to make it right but they usually don't because it's cheaper to pay the fine. And I can only take the "seller" to small claims court meaning if I win and am awarded money he can take forever to pay me.
Awesome.

So that leaves me with a busted *** car and so many mental scenarios on making them swallow their own teeth. Being that I have a wife and kid I'm just going to have to suck it up and keep said scenarios in my head.
Real pieces of **** those two.

Anyways, thanks all for the help. I'm still going to go through with the formal complaint and probably court, if for nothing else then to waste their time. :hello2:

It's BS that the dealer can loan out his license to some crooked a$$hole so they can sell some crapmobile to an unsuspecting buyer. I wonder if it's just Texas or if this is happening in other places too. I would be getting in touch with my state legislators and ask them if they think that this law needs to be toughened up a little to stop this kind of underhanded scam. Good luck to you.

If nothing else the judgement will be on them. They will have a more difficult time getting loans with that on their report. if buying any real Estate, they would need the judgement satisfied. I would refile the judgement every year to keep it active. be sure to get a judgement on both the dealer and the person you dealt with. I'm sure your state has a licensing dept, I would file a written complaint on the guys license number.In Nebraska a person, upon obtaining a judgement, can also Institute Garnishment proceedings. Maybe research that in your state. Once you get a judgement, make sure it gets posted in the paper. Dealers hate that.

It's BS that the dealer can loan out his license to some crooked a$$hole so they can sell some crapmobile to an unsuspecting buyer. I wonder if it's just Texas or if this is happening in other places too. I would be getting in touch with my state legislators and ask them if they think that this law needs to be toughened up a little to stop this kind of underhanded scam. Good luck to you.

This just became illegal here in June last year. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

If nothing else the judgement will be on them. They will have a more difficult time getting loans with that on their report. if buying any real Estate, they would need the judgement satisfied. I would refile the judgement every year to keep it active. be sure to get a judgement on both the dealer and the person you dealt with. I'm sure your state has a licensing dept, I would file a written complaint on the guys license number.In Nebraska a person, upon obtaining a judgement, can also Institute Garnishment proceedings. Maybe research that in your state. Once you get a judgement, make sure it gets posted in the paper. Dealers hate that.

I was wondering if it would show up on his stuff. But according to the investigator I can only go after the seller not the deal. Its the state's deal to go after the dealers.

I am planning on sending both names, pics and info to the local news. I'm going to wait until Monday so it's a slow news day.

it is the state's deal, but they respond to complaints. The state doesn't need a judgement to Investigate a Dealer. They will examine all the paperwork to see if the Dealer did anything wrong. Whereabouts in Texas are you, may I ask?

This just became illegal here in June last year. lol.

Good deal. I'm betting that the legit dealers (there are a few) got tired of these crooks using their dealer's licenses to scam people and maybe helped get this law changed. It's not like their reputations were too good to begin with.:eusa_naughty:

Right, I'm going civil against the seller but filing an official complaint with the DMV of Texas who sends an investigator in. I've documented everything and still have the original texts stating the physical address where I looked at the car which is 45 minutes from the dealers lot.

I'm in San Antonio

- - - Updated - - -

Good deal. I'm betting that the legit dealers (there are a few) got tired of these crooks using their dealer's licenses to scam people and maybe helped get this law changed. It's not like their reputations were too good to begin with.:eusa_naughty:

And this doesn't help. Car dealers are the only people I have ever met that are worse then roof salesmen. lol

I only ask because I became aquainted with a nice former DPS officer down that way, that may have more ideas of how to make the guy's life miserable.

Funny you should say that, last night I was trying my hardest to think of a friend that had officer friends. But sadly none of them do.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Legal only tho. :icon_shaking:

San Antonio doesn't do emissions testing? I thought all major metro areas had that in Texas. Houston and the surrounding counties all have it. A vehicle has to be 25 years old to be exempt from it and then it has to pass a visual for emissions equipment but it doesn't have to actually be 'cleaning' anything. IE, smog pump has to have a belt on it but that's it. Good luck with the ahole....

update

Wells Gents, I have some good news.
After pursuing all legal actions on this POS I found one last option. Texas DMV has a dealers license fraud unit. I submitted paperwork last month. Well last week the investigator calls me and says he has begun working on my case and I sent him all the info I could. Long story short the dealer called begging to fix or buy the Audi back. Told him to come get the stupid thing and write me a check. I did loose about a grand trying to get it fixed but got all the money I originally paid for the car. The "private seller" called threatening legal action because I tried to fix the car but that lasted all of five minutes until he realized it was out of his hands.

The dealer gets to stay in business but hopefully the private seller gets out of the game since his name is now in the system He was a real **** sucker.

Man, it feels good when the little guy gets a win. A $1000 lesson sure does hurt a lot less then the $12000+ lesson I was facing. The car being sold illegally was the only thing that saved my hide. Otherwise the "As Is" in Texas would have stood.

WHEW.

Thanks again for all the help, advice, and ideas. As usual it is much appreciated.

Congrats, that's great to hear. Put that towards your house.

Congrats, that's great to hear. Put that towards your house.

Funny you should say that, we actually deposited it directly into the house fund.

My wife made me a freaking sweet deal though, she said i could take 90% for the 'Net if I gave her 10%. Life is full tough decisions. lol

good to hear it went your way, dealers hate fraud units. Happy to have helped!

Auto Transport Service
Back