• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collapsed Radiator Hose n Rebuilt 440

BumperMan

Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
Hello Guys
Just rebuilt my 440 for a GTX, had the radiator sent to Glenn Ray Radiators to be restored. Been trying to d-bug the motor since Fathers Day and noticed that the radiator hoses are collapsing after running the motor for around 10 mins. The first time I noticed both hoses collapsed shut the motor off opened the radiator cap and the hoses opened back up. Last two times I have ran the motor just the top hose is collapsing. This evening I was told to put the car on a hill take off the radiator cap and run it for around 5 mins with the cap off to make sure all the air was out. Did that ran the car for around 10 mins got back home checked it and the top hose was collapsed again.

Any idea what could be causing this? The temperature gauge seems to be reading find when running.

Thanks In Advance for the Help

I always jack my car up to get the radiator higher than the engine when filling the cooling system. You might try to drain it and refill with the nose jacked up.

I'd get a new radiator cap. Probably not allowing proper flow to/from overflow. You have to get the correct rated for your engine. Also check that overflow line not clogged.

I don't see how an upper hose can collapse, never seen it, but stranger things have happened! Stupid question, is the belt routing correct?

Use a pressure tester and pump up to 15 lb to get air out and get it to circulate

I run a spring in my lower hose to prevent collapsing but I've also never heard of an upper hose collapsing since on a hot engine it should have positive pressure through it. It's a good idea to drill a 1/8 inch hole through the thermostat plate to allow the engine to bleed trapped air past the thermostat even on a cold engine.

X2 on spring in lower hose and 1/8th hole in thermostat plate. I've never seen an upper hose collapse.

Go to CJ Pony Parts and order a lower radiator hose spring for a '65 Mustang. That's the same spring used in our Mopars and it will prevent the lower hose from collapsing.

Go to CJ Pony Parts and order a lower radiator hose spring for a '65 Mustang. That's the same spring used in our Mopars and it will prevent the lower hose from collapsing.
:yes: get one for a small block, they are longer and the same price. Also it is a good idea to buy a thermostat with a bleed hole like others have said.

If this is after you run the engine. Your radiator cap is not letting air back in on cool down. Nothing wrong with your hoses. See if the little air letter inner in the middle of the radiator cap is loose. Otherwise, change the cap.

ws27, I called Glen Ray radiators since they was the ones that restored my radiator and he said they have had some issues with the radiator caps they was sending out with the radiatiors they have restored. The guy said put some coolant in the radiator cap and let it sit for about a minute to see if that would help the problem so I'm going to try this tomorrow

Thanks guys for all your help

Auto Transport Service
Back