• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curing Muffler Drone - what muffler choice?

I wonder about capped glass packs in place of the pipes

I didn't even know there was a calculator when I did mine. I just copied what someone else did and went with a fixed 28 inches. It might not be fully optimal, but I noticed a big reduction in drone. Either way you go, make sure you or your exhaust shop weld up both vertical hangers as well as horizontal connector tabs between these and the main exhaust. The first shop I had do mine only did one vertical hanger and in less than a year one side broke free and would rattle at certain RPM's. I didn't realize that's what it was for several years and that noise drove me crazy until I was under the car one day. My new exhaust guy secured it correctly and now I could do pull ups off of that thing.

I'm glad this topic is getting some interest because back when I did mine people thought I was nuts and looked at me like I was building an alien spacecraft. Science!
Others maybe. Not me!

One of my hotrods had a terrible harmonic at 1800 RPM, I took the back seat out and covered the area above the mufflers with Kilmat
sound deadening, made a dramatic difference.

Of all the muscle cars I’ve heard (and a few I had) having a stock exhaust, the RR/GTX was the best sounding of all, MO. Buddy had a ’69 GTX back in the day that sounded sweet, nice tone, not obnoxious, but enough to make a statement.
I totally agree and from my experience the OEM exhaust tips have a lot to do with it, really shapes the sound.

One of my hotrods had a terrible harmonic at 1800 RPM, I took the back seat out and covered the area above the mufflers with Kilmat
sound deadening, made a dramatic difference.

I did the same and added some FatMat to the trunk divider panel and package tray for good measure. It all helps…

I have an exhaust shop at home, that i do custom stuff in. You can use a small glasspack muffler at the end of the pipe. I have used a 8 inch one on both sides and it does help more then just the pipes do. Im assuming the sound waves travel through the pipe and get canceled out inside the packing of the glasspack.

Auto Transport Service
Back