• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Facebook gave me a pop-up that locked my computer.

sam dupont

Local time
7:41 PM
Reaction score
it said I had 2 notifications, so I clicked. A big, flashing and beeping pop-up took over my screen. It said: don't try to shut it down as that would give my computer a virus. Instead, I was to call Microsoft tech with the number they gave me. I force quit and didn't call. Apple support was excellent. they helped me determine there was no malware or virus. FB is weird and creepy. I don't go there much, so if I try to sell something, I get accused of being a scammer half the time. Just because I sometimes have rare NOS parts, and don't live on FB, I'm a scammer.

It came from someone on Facebook but not from Facebook.

When I bought my computer in the 90's, everybody said: You're an artist, you need a Mac. What I have learned is Macs are easy, but I have learned very little about all the machinations one has to do with PCs. I have never had a virus or malware, so I have never had to install a patch or mess with things. So I am illiterate to some degree and I clicked on FB Notifications without a care. Losing control of my machine was shocking. Are these attacks commonplace?

Now, I will never click on Notifications again. MS didn't do it, but they didn't stop it either. I just bought something on FB and it was not packaged well and arrived badly damaged. So I am about to get THAT education. Think I will stick to eBay and FBBO

When I bought my computer in the 90's, everybody said: You're an artist, you need a Mac. What I have learned is Macs are easy, but I have learned very little about all the machinations one has to do with PCs. I have never had a virus or malware, so I have never had to install a patch or mess with things. So I am illiterate to some degree and I clicked on FB Notifications without a care. Losing control of my machine was shocking. Are these attacks commonplace?

Now, I will never click on Notifications again. MS didn't do it, but they didn't stop it either. I just bought something on FB and it was not packaged well and arrived badly damaged. So I am about to get THAT education. Think I will stick to eBay and FBBO
We are PC users here and haven't had an issue for years. The antivirus software now days for home users is pretty good. Internet security companies are working hard at preventing huge data breeches with business' and government. Bigger fish to fry.

That is why it is vital to use prudent applications when using one's computer. I never click on anything that I am unfamiliar with and either delete it or report it. Plus, I am using one of the best software products available that is not from some overseas firm and is strictly a USA product...PC MATIC!!! I haven't had an issue since dropping ESET which is a European concern. I even have Windows Security Software which comes with Windows limiting what it can and cannot do as it has proven to be valuable and unreliable. The best advice is to never open anything suspicious or click a link you are not familiar with. Amazing how so many fall for these Fishing scams every single day!!! cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I try to be careful, but I had no idea we are taking a risk when we click on Notifications. It says I have 3. I'm not that curious anymore

Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 11.47.45 AM.png

it said I had 2 notifications, so I clicked. A big, flashing and beeping pop-up took over my screen. It said: don't try to shut it down as that would give my computer a virus. Instead, I was to call Microsoft tech with the number they gave me. I force quit and didn't call. Apple support was excellent. they helped me determine there was no malware or virus. FB is weird and creepy. I don't go there much, so if I try to sell something, I get accused of being a scammer half the time. Just because I sometimes have rare NOS parts, and don't live on FB, I'm a scammer.
You get those occasionally when you clink a link or an ad. I have gotten those on this site as well. Turn off turn back on and all is normal. There are those type of things are more serious and you have to know how to get into the reset to a different time window to get rid of them.

The one I got from here was from one of those ads that pop up right above the threads. There are always various ads that appear in that spot

I'm a PC user (no cell phone either) and I don't get pop-ups/adds. I use 'F.B. Purity' for Facebook; 'FadBlock' for YouTube, and AdBlock for everything else.

I'm a PC user (no cell phone either) and I don't get pop-ups/adds. I use 'F.B. Purity' for Facebook; 'FadBlock' for YouTube, and AdBlock for everything else.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:I agree here with those three. However, for me, I only use AdBlock and it works everywhere even here...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I don't see them on FBBO. I don't see them anywhere, really. That's why alarms and flashing lights caused me to panic. Not knowing anything about Microsoft, (it was made to look like it was generated by them) I almost called the phone number. I have Adblock and Ghostery, that may be why I don't see ads. I think Safari has been doing a lot to stop that kind of stuff, judging by update information.

Clicking on FB notifications and having the malware pop up are just coincidence. It’s what you were doing when it took over. FB is likely not the source.

Do you do business with "jeweloid industries"?

I get them every once in awhile. I control, Alt, Delete and log off and back on and it's gone. Evil lives among us.

Auto Transport Service
Back