• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Family Tradition

Man Prop, I share your dilemma. I'm a sucker for bright chrome with black but also think the grayed or charcoal look would look very cool with your new black stripes. good luck with that. BTW, I think 17's still look great on a Roadrunner, bigger than that, they start to not look right IMO. Have you tried the wheel simulator on this website.

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/
The closest you can get is a 70 RR but you can try all kinds of combinations with your black color.

Daryn

Thats a pretty damn cool simulator, Daryn!

thanks for the post!

Mario

Thanks a bunch Daryn...That wheel sim is pretty damn cool. I must have spent an hour playing with the different combo's. And like Ron said, how is your bird coming along?

So...Going with the 17's on the bird. They actually work out pretty well with the tire height/width I wanted for the car. I'm actually going with Coy's for the wheels. They are identical to MB's that Mario recommended (thanks again!!!!), just that they come with the backspacing i'm looking for.

Here's a Chevelle with the Coy's, 17" rims and a similar color combo on the car. I plan having a bit more sidewall on my tires than this guy. Pending the outcome of a supposed Major snowstorm, hopefully I'll have the car back Tuesday/Wednesday.

25162360011_large.jpg

I love the black with black matte stripes, your car looks amazing prop, also like the dark grey torque thrusts in 17s, with a tire that has a little more sidewall like you mentioned rather than the (rubber band tire look) will look awesome with the sinister theme that looks like your successfully pulling off. In my opinion 17s with the right tires doesnt look out of place at all on muscle cars, I put 17s on my 66 coronet convertible with a thicker sidewall and have got a lot of compliments from the older crowd that generally don't care for the bigger wheels. Well anyway just wanted to compliment you on your car and the tons of pictures you took (wish I had taken half the pics you did when I restored mine).

Thanks a bunch crlush..You know it seems everything else on the car was so dang easy to pick out, till I got to the rims. Tough decision. But I guess rims are like a haircut...not really the main flash of the car, but if they're screwy looking or way off course, destroys the look of the car. Good to hear they went well on your Coronet! Ever though our cars are a few years apart and have different bodies, I think they share the same general look/platform.

I think the rims/tires and stance really make or break the look of a car, like the pic of the chevelle above, the rims are sweet but theres not enough tire there like you mentioned, doesnt look bad but it doesnt look quite right, also would look better if it was a tad lower(mambe an inch) so theres not as much space between the tire and wheelwell. well im shure with the suggestions you have been getting that you will get it right, I really enjoyed reading about all the work you have done on your car.

Totally agree crlush...As for the low profile sidewalls, thought it was pretty hilarious one members put it as "riding around on rubber bands". Once I get these on, you guys please do me a favor and slap me one if the car ends up having a ricer look. Thanks again for taking the time to go through the thread, glad you enjoyed it. From what I can see on you avtar pic, you '66 Coronet ragtop looks great with the 17's.

Daryn, Hows yours coming, getting close?

Hey Ron and Prop,
Yeah thats a pretty cool simulator. I was also using it to try to figure out what color to eventually use.
As for my bird, I got a pretty nasty surprise from the body guy after they took off the paint and undercoating. Car went from a body tweaking/painting project to a complete rescue. Car was totally camouflaged everywhere. The guy I bought it from totally lied to me about the condition. Oh well, That's what I get for diving head first into something I had no prior experience in. I'm just glad I have the means to make the car right. I intend to drive it to Texas when I get it finished and "drop in" on him. At least to face him and call him an SOB in person. My car got new fenders, quarters, drivers floor. trunk floor, rear valance, core support, new hood and other pieces. They even put caulking on the underside and put coating on it to disguise the floor.
Ironically, the guy who is doing my car had another 69 RR in the shop so when all the AMD metal showed up, they were able to make all the critical measurements and original radius comparisons. The AMD metal wasn't even close in some places. they had to cut off pieces off my original metal and fabricate it onto the new stuff. The car looked like Frankenstein to get it to look correct, Lots of cutting and messaging. But you know what that's like right Prop?
Anyways, it won't be ready until at least probably September at this point. So, I traded in my truck and bought a Challenger. Now I won't feel stupid wearing my FBBO shirts while driving a Chevy truck. LOL Talk about sacrilegious!!

Wow! Sorry to hear it Daryn. Good to hear you're bringing her back to all her glory. As far as the criminal that pulled that fraud on you, if you want some company to go down to Texas with you, i'm game. Just to put a bottom feeder in his place for something like that would be priceless.

Good to hear you have an able body shop to tackle such a task as well as having an original '69 to base it off. I sure do know what you mean on that AMD metal Daryn...LOL. As we all seen on this thread and others, some stuff fits OK, other AMD stuff is like you have base material to start with and you have to modify it from there to make it work.

Congrat's on the new Challenger! Hope you enjoy it. They're great cars. I'll be honest and share I also have a Chevy truck. I'll be honest again and say I enjoy the truck and have had nothing but good luck with it. I see those new Challenger's sitting on that lot and think "man I wish". Problem is that I need a truck. For hauling, work, camping, hunting, getting in the woods and it takes everything I dish out to it. Had a new Dodge truck once back in the late 90's. Sorry to say it was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I brought it back under the Lemon Law...Ugggghhh

Can't wait to see your revived bird once she hit's the pavement come fall. I guess this way, at least you know now exactly what you got. It's just too bad that sack of meat ripped you off, making you believe the car was something it was not. With the pieces you have in place now, she'll be better than ever

Daryn, I to am sorry to hear of this mess, id like to say i cant imagine what kind of mood this put you in the day you found out... Something similar happened to me once with a 72 Chevelle, mine even included the frame.. Sucks is a nice way to put it, I am glad though your chins up ready for the battle and i hope with the rest of this project it gos as smooth as can be! By the sound of it, one nice new bird on the way.. I don't know if going there and calling him a SOB would be the way id go, I think i would have to drive in and tell him to come out and look just what his attitude toward people and greed created, THEN i would leave it up to your imagination to finish the conversation, at least 50 or so feet from the bird. Good luck my friend, and enjoy the Challenger.
thumbs.gif

Well, thanks guys, I appreciate all the "positive waves" (Oddball/Kellys Heros). LOL Yup, Loving the new Challenger. 5.7, manual 6sp with a 3.92 rear end. They really thought out the car well. Mine has the redline 3 coat paint with no stripes with chrome 20's. Very clean looking. I hear you on the need for a truck Prop. I needed one, and I too had good luck with mine. However, I just bought a house in Florida and am relinquishing most of the running of my company to my son. So, I don't need to haul stuff through a foot of snow anymore. I also heard all the horror stories on the dodge trucks of the 90's. Loved the looks of them tho.
As far as the deception of my car, I hold myself mostly responsible for being a trusting soul. I should know better, I mean, I'm in business for myself for Christ sakes. I'm not sure what motivates a person to go to such lengths to deceive another person, but I do believe in "what comes around, goes around". I'm sure that whether or not I ever go there and confront him, he will be somehow adversely affected by life in general. I just think it would be worth it to see his face when having to man up to his deception.

Car was looking pretty good last time I saw it. My guy didn't like the door gaps on the doors, so he added about 3/16 inch to the doors to close the gaps. The fit and finish should definitely be better than new. He's definitely a detail oriented type.
Anyways, enough of hijacking YOUR thread. Your car looks fantastic. You are making many of the decision that I would be making as far as color combos and wheels. As a matter of fact, I might still paint mine black, something I was deciding not to, because of living in this dirty town. Your black stripes are so subtle they kinda catch you off guard. Very cool. Keep up the great work and thank you for your concern. You too Ron!!

Daryn

P.S. Did you ever look at the Black Chrome 17's from Coy? I think they might look really cool on your car. Just a suggestion.

No, I haven't seen them Daryn...sounds cool though...black chrome.

I'm sure you're are right, what comes around...goes around. He'll get his in the end. Still a shame someone knowingly hoses a fellow person like that. I guess he's the one that has to look in the mirror everyday.

So....Little update with the car. After a circus act with the Year One headliner that I won't go into, the uphostery shop called today and said she's finished. Tomorrow morning, after several long months, the bird will be home. Pic's coming tomorrow!

Make that one more who cant wait to see it back home!! Sounds like a plan coming together..
thumbs.gif

Woo-Hoo more Pics!!!!

had me jonesin' for a few days there, guy. :pimp_daddy:

been lookin' forward to seein her back in her proper spot.

what's next when she gets home????

and btw....

:worthless_thread:

LOL Mario!! Same here.

As far as the next step...Mannnnn so many parts to install, don't know where to begin. I'm thinking install the dash.

dash,wiring harness,brake lines,fuel lines.......And you're off.

Auto Transport Service
Back