• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Family Tradition

Wow really sorry you had that happen! i hate having other people work on my car sometimes they have a different idea of what is acceptable. time will tell if his boss comes clean on this for you. if he does not we could get the B Body Mafia after him! Good Luck.

jeezus Will....

I'm really sorry that happened.

That sort of thing can really snowball when it starts, a new day is a good thing.

You'll get the train back on the tracks and put this behind you.

We have faith in you.

Thanks for the kind words fella's. I appreciate it. I guess we all need to have the bad days to enjoy the good ones, but I can still feel the rumblings of yesterdays fiasco. Matt, the glass company is called Tri-City Glass. They have been in the area for a long time and myself and the rest of the family has used them for years, so it sucks to see this kind of gap in their reputation and reliability. You're right Dave...time to get back up and dust myself off. I guess this would be a good opportunity to put together a video of a "how to" on wet sanding and machine buffing using the 3M perfect-it system..lol

Thanks again guys...

Damn Prop... I'm going through the same thing.. the guy broke it in the same spot as well. Sorry to hear about the damage to the car, that really sucks.. your car is a show piece and I know the amount of man hrs it takes to get it in that condition.

It's easy to get frustrated with that stainless trim whe removing and also when installing, even with brand new clips and straight trim.

A person needs to just walk away when you start fighting it.

if it's not reaching the clip to hook and hold, it just aint gonna happen. Many times the right thing to do is scout it out before even trying to fit the stainless, clear away any obstructions that will keep the stainless from reaching the clips and make sure the clips are straight and that they are set high enough for the stainless to reach.

in my best tom hanks softball coach voice...

"Pounding?.... There's no pounding in glass work!"

I have put a few gasket style windshields in before, easiest I ever did was on my daughter's 65 mustang.

I fit the gasket to the glass first, then ran a 1/4" rope in the groove all the way around and overlapped the rope tails at thebottom center of the windshield and taped the rope tails to the inside of the glass so the rope didn't fall out while setting the glass in place.

here's my pull rope

101_3396.jpg

bedding compound

101_3395.jpg

They had a nice groove for the initial application of bedding compound which is recomended for this particular application.

101_3398.jpg

I set the bottom edge of the gasket in place first and then leaned the glass in to rest against the window tray/opening. Then I centered the glass left and right and begain pulling the inner gasket lip into the inside of the pinch welded gasket flange. Top corners are tricky, they always are. and it goes better with 2 people, one to apply a little hand pressure outside of the car and one to pull the rope inside the car.

101_3404.jpg

101_3405.jpg

101_3406.jpg

I know our B-Bodies are a little different than this but the basic rope trick is good if it applies.

the guy doing mine I could hear pounding on it inside the house...LOL I said to myself its only a matter of time and sure enough as soon as it got real silent I went out to see if he was done or broke it and of course he broke it..but my car isnt nearly 1/100 as nice as Props beauty

Thanks for the post Dave. Quite informative! I did the same rope trick on both Dodge Darts I had..Works great. Better than working back and forth, back and forth and then back and forth a couple dozen more times till the window folds inside. Great pic's, thanks!

Thanks for the kind words 99ss. By any means you should be just as proud to display your Plymouth as I. The drive, determination and willingness a guy takes to bring a car back to life is what matters. Not like some folks tossing an endless bank account at a resto shop or someone cashing in their IRA to have a turn key wing car just to brag about. The meat and potato's of it is pouring your heart and soul into something you love and creating something you brought back to life. That's what counts brother. Yeah I have shiney paint and some other bells and whistles, but this isn't my first rodeo. Keep doing what you're doing by asking questions, learing from others and getting your hands dirty and you'll have the same caliber, if not better sitting in your garage. Again, be proud of what you got..She's your Plymouth and she's what you make of her.

Im sorry to hear of all this trouble Will, Un believable what one person can do to defile such a show piece, How that guy left in one piece is inspiring, to do that amount of damage is unreal and un-called for from a company that does work on cars and dealing with guys like you that went the extra everything to have a pure master piece. I know it wont stop you with this car though, You have the determination and fortitude it takes to make new again.. Good luck as always to you!

Thanks for the post Dave. Quite informative! I did the same rope trick on both Dodge Darts I had..Works great. Better than working back and forth, back and forth and then back and forth a couple dozen more times till the window folds inside. Great pic's, thanks!

Thanks for the kind words 99ss. By any means you should be just as proud to display your Plymouth as I. The drive, determination and willingness a guy takes to bring a car back to life is what matters. Not like some folks tossing an endless bank account at a resto shop or someone cashing in their IRA to have a turn key wing car just to brag about. The meat and potato's of it is pouring your heart and soul into something you love and creating something you brought back to life. That's what counts brother. Yeah I have shiney paint and some other bells and whistles, but this isn't my first rodeo. Keep doing what you're doing by asking questions, learing from others and getting your hands dirty and you'll have the same caliber, if not better sitting in your garage. Again, be proud of what you got..She's your Plymouth and she's what you make of her.

Thanks Prop, you have no idea how much weight those words carry especialy coming from you. Thank you for that :)

No sweat 99ss...You deserve them. A lot of us have followed your thread and watched the up and downs. I respect your drive, unfaltering dedication and positive attitude when the going gets tough. I look forward to the day you get her down the road!

Will that's terrible news...I'm sure you'll get her back in shape but still that flat-out sucks...wow...

You bet Dave! We'll see how round two of the windshield install rolls today. I'll be watching every movement they make on the bird

dang it will,i hate hearing that kind of news on your bird.Had something like that happen when i was going to have a friend help me put the windshield in my truck (he had more experience then me),i wanted to do the rope trick like dave showed but he wasn't sure about that so we did it his way.sure enuf we just about had it in,just a little more to go and CRACK!!! right down the glass top to bottom.i hope the glass guy makes it right for you. If it helps will,when i tell my wife what happened on your car i think she will be more pissed off about then you.she absolutely loves the way your car looks.let us know how round two goes.

Thanks Roger...That's funny....Don't go getting the Ol' Lady all fired up now. The dust finally just settled around this joint.

The head guy showed up today Steve. He was overly careful with everything, but that was fine by me. Better than the other day. Firearms were not needed.

All in all new windshield went in pretty good. 100% supervision this go around. Front trim snapped in pretty easily which I handled myself, along with the rear trim. Piece by piece she's coming together!

w1-13.jpg

w2-11.jpg

She's finally getting some fresh air....

w3-8.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back