• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

Have you checked to see the distance between the front of the bottom step and the step that will be above it? You want to have at least 6'8".

Thought this would go a whole lot quicker than it's going . . . but it's getting there . . .

Whoa . . . not going so fast, but moving along nicely ! ! !

Went and got some metal cut and ready to start making steps . . . each one has to be made by itself to make
sure that it fits in the opening . . . it is what it is . . .

sm_shop1468.jpg

Continuing on the progress, and every step take a bit longer to get to the top of the flight to work on it ! ! !

sm_shop1469.jpg

Some more framing, that was missing - and had to be added into the building . . .

sm_shop1470.jpg

I think at this point it was almost full circle already . . . or very close . . .

sm_shop1471.jpg

They get anchored into the wall - into a 2 x 6 stud - with 1/2" lag bolts . . . they're not going anywhere . . .

sm_shop1472.jpg

Wrapping back around the back of the silo again . . . to get it to the height needed . . .

sm_shop1473.jpg

Part of the problem has been the temps down here . . . this is "indicated" in my back yard - and the feels like temps
are reaching 115 - 120 degrees . . . sure sweating through a LOT of shirts this Summer . . .

sm_shop1474.jpg

Next step blocking is ready . . . ready to start building the next step . . .

sm_shop1475.jpg

And the look from the top is looking even better - full circle plus at this point . . .

sm_shop1476.jpg

Had another "ruh-roh" at this point in the building . . . Once the height is correct, the next step is to get the ability
to get over to the shop floor . . . this will be done by making a platform . . . easy enough . . .

As stated by @Coronet_Arch - 6' 8" of clearance is needed . . . kinda "forgot" to check this height where the platform
will need to go . . . what height did I have . . . not enough . . .

How will it be corrected ? ? ?

Adding 2 more step - this will raise the height of the platform over 14" and give the head clearance needed . . .

Once you get over the steps - it'll then be 2 steps down to the shop floor . . . oh well . . .

More Later . . .

Thought this would go a whole lot quicker than it's going . . . but it's getting there . . .

Whoa . . . not going so fast, but moving along nicely ! ! !

Went and got some metal cut and ready to start making steps . . . each one has to be made by itself to make
sure that it fits in the opening . . . it is what it is . . .

View attachment 1693446

Continuing on the progress, and every step take a bit longer to get to the top of the flight to work on it ! ! !

View attachment 1693447

Some more framing, that was missing - and had to be added into the building . . .

View attachment 1693448

I think at this point it was almost full circle already . . . or very close . . .

View attachment 1693449

They get anchored into the wall - into a 2 x 6 stud - with 1/2" lag bolts . . . they're not going anywhere . . .

View attachment 1693450

Wrapping back around the back of the silo again . . . to get it to the height needed . . .

View attachment 1693451

Part of the problem has been the temps down here . . . this is "indicated" in my back yard - and the feels like temps
are reaching 115 - 120 degrees . . . sure sweating through a LOT of shirts this Summer . . .

View attachment 1693452

Next step blocking is ready . . . ready to start building the next step . . .

View attachment 1693453

And the look from the top is looking even better - full circle plus at this point . . .

View attachment 1693454

Had another "ruh-roh" at this point in the building . . . Once the height is correct, the next step is to get the ability
to get over to the shop floor . . . this will be done by making a platform . . . easy enough . . .

As stated by @Coronet_Arch - 6' 8" of clearance is needed . . . kinda "forgot" to check this height where the platform
will need to go . . . what height did I have . . . not enough . . .

How will it be corrected ? ? ?

Adding 2 more step - this will raise the height of the platform over 14" and give the head clearance needed . . .

Once you get over the steps - it'll then be 2 steps down to the shop floor . . . oh well . . .

More Later . . .
Looking very nice!

Looks fantastic. I love the silo stairs. Awesome touch. I took the simple approach with an exterior staircase. I agree with not wanting to waste the floor space.

Believe it or not . . . The steps of the shop have been completed ! ! !

Took longer than I had expected - but the steps are completed . . .

The height of the steps got to the point that the welder would not reach, so to be able to get the welding done
the welder had to be hoisted up the step as seen in this picture . . . this allowed the welding to be done . . .

sm_shop1477.jpg

Working on this platform and trying to get this thing completed . . .

sm_shop1478.jpg

Don't have too much left to get this thing done . . . getting there . . .

sm_shop1479.jpg

My youngest daughter told me that this distance could easily be jumped . . . LOL . . . Think I'll continue to work to
get this completed . . .

sm_shop1480.jpg

Another view of the short distance that is left . . .

sm_shop1481.jpg

Here's the work on getting the framing fabricated for the platform . . .

sm_shop1482.jpg

Ooops . . . got a duplicate picture . . . enjoy . . .

sm_shop1483.jpg

Got the platform completed . . . working on getting it installed . . .

sm_shop1484.jpg

The view from shop floor of how this thing is going together . . .

sm_shop1485.jpg

And the final step has been completed and now . . . the steps are DONE !

sm_shop1486.jpg

Now that the steps are done . . . the work on the framing of the last walls can begin again . . .

More Later . . .

Man on a mission....awesome stairway Larry. :thumbsup:

Hey Mr Larry,
Haven’t seen many updates lately are you all finished yet?
Yea, I am a big nose, this thread has had me riveted, for quite a while now!

Hey Mr Larry,
Haven’t seen many updates lately are you all finished yet?
Yea, I am a big nose, this thread has had me riveted, for quite a while now!
Larry is a busy man, and always helping someone else when he's not at work.

He will get updates....rest assured. :thumbsup:

So Sorry - been so busy and can't find time to get caught up on pics . . .

Been a busy, plus hot and sweaty Summer so far . . . really humid ! ! !

Had to rent the lift again for another weekend to get some of the higher panel put in place . . .
Got started with a couple of the lower panels, that needed to be in place . . . and figure out the corner . . .

sm_shop1487.jpg

Then moved up to the top panels . . . need to get these in place . . .

sm_shop1488.jpg

Got the second panel in place . . . hoping to get all the top panels done with weekend . . .
Removing the plastic and hoping that it will no longer need to be put back up to protect the silo from the rain . . .

sm_shop1489.jpg

Due to the steps design flaw, like always, it cascaded up the silo and caused another head clearance problem . . .
oh . . . . I see my "motto" scrolled on the wall of the silo for someone to find later if they tear it down . . .

sm_shop1490.jpg

Had to remove a couple boards, and make a little more room to keep from busting my head on them . . .

sm_shop1491.jpg

Got it set in place, but think it might be getting another 1-2" cut out and raised up . . .

sm_shop1492.jpg

Down to the last panel as the one below it just got figured out - marked - cut - and installed . . .

sm_shop1493.jpg

Was wondering if this day would ever get here . . . one last panel . . .

sm_shop1494.jpg

Wrestling it into place was sure a whole lot of fun . . . but got 'er done . . .

sm_shop1495.jpg

Of course - they HAD to get stained with the red while they could be reached with the help of the lift . . .

sm_shop1496.jpg

Still plugging away at things . . . this stuff is all fine details and it takes "forever" to get anything done . . .

And hoping that the joints are sealed well enough and don't leak "too much" . . .

More Later . . .

Small shop re-design . . . fixing a "problem" that was not apparent to me . . . until now . . .

Oh well . . . things happen, and I found out about a small problem when I saw the carpenter bees
boring into the wood on my shop . . . and that's not going to fly . . . so we need a "fix" for that . . .

First, this is my solution to what to do with the roof as the silo tapers away from the building . . .
Follow the taper with the roof and get the area filled in . . . Really like the end results ! ! !

sm_shop1497.jpg

Now for the carpenter bees . . . you can see that a soffit has been added to the overhang . . .
That panel is HardiPlank - so basically, it's concrete siding . . . The facia of the overhang will also get Hari siding.
Entire building will be encased with Hari ( concrete ) panels and the carpenter bees will not be doing any boring
Sorry guys . . . ( not really ) . . ..

sm_shop1499.jpg

Here's the first section of the overhang to get completed and the roof trim installed . . . lots more to go . . .

sm_shop1500.jpg

Really happy and like the end results . . . it actually has gotten another coat of paint since this picture . . .

sm_shop1501.jpg

Picked up my windows and had to see what they were going to look like on the shop . . .

sm_shop1502.jpg

Time to start working on the front face of this shop and see what can get done . . .

sm_shop1503.jpg

Got a little bit of framing that needs to get accomplished first . . . so the panels can get installed . . .

sm_shop1504.jpg

Moving along . . . the heat and humidity have been so bad lately . . . but it needs to get done . . .

sm_shop1505.jpg

Getting another panel in place and moving along with this face of the shop . . .

sm_shop1506.jpg

And curious of how it'll look with the window . . . so far, so good . . . really happy with how it's turning out . . .

sm_shop1507.jpg

Will continue to work on the front of the building . . .

More Later . . .

Getting close to the front face being completed . . . Got to decide on something . . .

Finally getting the front face near completion . . .

Working on getting the panels in place . . . one panel at a time . . . and very much looking forward to not having
tarps and plastic covering the front of the shop too ! ! !

sm_shop1508.jpg

And another . . .

sm_shop1509.jpg

And yet another . . .

sm_shop1510.jpg

Getting there . . . with another panel getting installed . . .

sm_shop1511.jpg

You knew this was coming . . . can't stand to see the panels yellow . . . so they are now red . . .

sm_shop1512.jpg

Couple more panels are now in place . . .

sm_shop1513.jpg

This was a pretty fun one to get figured out and cut . . .

sm_shop1514.jpg

Two more panels have been installed . . . and . . . looking like there's only one more left to go . . .

sm_shop1515.jpg

Well . . . not quite . . . have this little sliver at the top that was not covered by the lower panel . . . Figures ! ! !

sm_shop1516.jpg

And . . . the bottom part of the front of the shop is now done . . .

sm_shop1517.jpg

Got my garage doors delivered yesterday and they are sitting in the shop . . . ready to be installed . . .

The opening at the top will have a window on the left ( in the center of the shop wall ) . . . but I need a barn door
up here to be able to get the equipment into the 2nd floor . . . if the window is installed, that leaves only about a
3 foot barn door - which is kinda tight . . .

So . . . the window looks like it will need to be make into an opening door as well . . . two doors that can swing
open - the window being one side - the remaining wall section the other side . . .

Not too sure how I feel about having a window built into an opening section of the wall . . . and to figure out how
to get these things hinged to allow them to be opened . . .

More Later . . .

Lot going on lately - break in the heat - End of the month approaching quickly . . .

Lot going on . . . and why the end of the month ? ? The concrete slab for this part of the building
was poured the end of September last year - aiming to have it all enclosed in a year ( less my
being sick for a month back in February ) . . .

Let's get started on the details . . .

Got all the garage door delivered - finally . . . and ready to be installed . . .

sm_shop1518.jpg

Also - the people doors are ready to get installed . . . wanted to set this in place to see how it looked . . .

sm_shop1519.jpg

Note - had to fix a "ruh-roh" where the cinder block opening was 1 1/2" too narrow ( dumb move on my part )
Sheesh . . . had to shave off 3/4" on the cinder blocks to get the door to fit in the opening . . .

sm_shop1520.jpg

And . . . this power has been running through this door since the blocks go laid . . . . that' won't work . . .

sm_shop1521.jpg

Had to find a way to get the power fed through the wall and out of the way of the door opening . . .

sm_shop1522.jpg

And for the first time in a year . . . no Power cable laying on the floor for me to trip over entering the building . . .

sm_shop1523.jpg

Getting all of the studs painted, sealed, and protected . . . as quickly as I can . . . and fighting with Wasps ! !
They have set up some rather large "condominium complexes" the the rafter that had to be removed . . .

sm_shop1524.jpg

Before the garage doors can be installed - the 8" blocks are in the way for the 6" walls and need a trim . . .

sm_shop1525.jpg

1st garage door is in place - new company - and having a bit of spring issues with them - working on it . . .
Appears the springs that they sent are not correct and they will not support the weight of the doors . . .

sm_shop1526.jpg

Had (3) of these doors given to me by my neighbor when they replace all their doors and windows in their house
with more energy efficient windows . . . lugging this up the spiral staircase was a "lot" of fun by myself . . .

sm_shop1527.jpg

Still got garage doors to be installed, back of the building to be completed, front barn doors to be built, the second
door to be hauled upstairs and installed . . .

More Later . . .

Additional updates from my work on the shop this past weekend . . .

Thanks to cooler temps . . . more work was able to get accomplished . . . Without sweating to death !
This Summer has been brutal with hot temps . . . and the cooler temps were very much welcome . . .

After some consideration, and measuring . . . it appears a little door "adjustment" will be needed to make this work,
not too much of deal . . . but it will allow my final result to be realized . . .

sm_shop1529.jpg

Without cutting the top corner of that door, this result would not have been possible . . . and this end result is
what really needs to happen for this shop . . . and yes, a deck will be getting built out there . . . later . . .

sm_shop1530.jpg

Now turning the attention to the back of the shop, all of the cwap had been out here "protecting the back of the
shop and really looking "ugly" to boot . . . so this needs to get cleaned up . . . to proceed back here . . .

sm_shop1531.jpg

Looking so much better with all the ( most of it ) plastic and tarp removed - those door look nice up there . . . too

sm_shop1532.jpg

Time to start hanging some panel on this side of the barn and start to get it all closed up . . .

sm_shop1533.jpg

Keep adding panels and keep getting closer to having the shop closed up . . .

sm_shop1534.jpg

Not too sure if he's wore slam out or just enjoying the cooler temps and beautiful days that we've been having . . .
The thing is . . . If I'm outside, he want to be out there with me . . . even if he looking at the back of his eyelids . . .

sm_shop1535.jpg

This was a very "fun" piece of panel to get cut and get hung . . .

sm_shop1536.jpg

This was a scrap from another cutting, unfortunately it was 7" too short - but that can get filled in . . .

sm_shop1537.jpg

Couple more piece installed and the back of the shop is slowly but surely getting wrapped up . . .

sm_shop1538.jpg

And the end of the month is quickly approaching as well . . . Also got a storm that is approaching and will have
rain in the forecast for probably 5-6 days in a row . . .

Got one tiny leak in the roof, where it meets the silo octagon that I can't seem to track down . . . frustrating . . .

More Later . . .

One leak? It's bound to have a couple of tweaks needed to address. Regardless, you have done an amazing job building this barn! :thumbsup:

The final updates from my work on the shop this past weekend . . . lots done . . .

Really surprised with the progress that was done this past weekend . . .

Saturday night the back got painted red . . . you know I don't like the building yellow . . .

sm_shop1539.jpg

Got these two pieces installed to get the bottom level all covered . . .

sm_shop1540.jpg

And the final piece of the siding that now will allow me get the doors installed up there . . .

sm_shop1541.jpg

And got it painted . . . the back of the shop is now mostly done . . . Looking GOOD ! ! 1

sm_shop1542.jpg

Working on the garage door . . . glad to be getting that installed . . .

sm_shop1543.jpg

And the door is now installed . . . Boy does that look good . . .

sm_shop1544.jpg

The inside of the shop is also looking very good now too . . .

sm_shop1545.jpg

Now it's time to come clean on something . . . Getting the door upstairs . . .

There was no way that I could have hauled the doors up the spiral staircase . . . No way . . .
so how did it get done . . .

Now I can share the "actual" way the door got upstairs . . . used my portable "elevator" . . . LOL

sm_shop1546.jpg

Pull it inside from off the fork lift . . . and it's now upstairs . . . This is how all my equipment will have to be
gotten upstairs too . . . and the reason that a barn door is needed in the front of the shop . . .

sm_shop1547.jpg

Finally - got you all up to date on my progress . . . . and where I am with getting this thing done by the end of
the month . . .

More Later . . .

Looking great, Sir. I’m jealous but, started on a new sheet metal roof for my garage, anyways. Getting the first sheet situated exactly where I wanted, left me sliding down the roof. To stop me from falling I had no choice but to grab the metal. 3 weeks later, after healing from 14 stitches, I am now finishing the metal trim. Can’t imagine doing all you have accomplished without a mishap or two.

Looking great, Sir. I’m jealous but, started on a new sheet metal roof for my garage, anyways. Getting the first sheet situated exactly where I wanted, left me sliding down the roof. To stop me from falling I had no choice but to grab the metal. 3 weeks later, after healing from 14 stitches, I am now finishing the metal trim. Can’t imagine doing all you have accomplished without a mishap or two.

Go to page 19 - post 377 . . . after 3 days of walking on the tin roofs it got slick on me ( probably the pollen ) . . . started sliding off the roof . . .

ALSO grabbed the metal to get me stopped - the ladder was at the bottom, but didn't know if the speed would cause it to tip . . .

After that . . . tied myself off to make sure that it didn't happen again . . . ( so sorry for the stiches . . . )

Auto Transport Service
Back