• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess there really is a first time for everything......Chevy engine on my 'Mopar' engine stand in my shop!!! Got a question or two....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:02 AM
Reaction score
Never thought it would happen and for sure not this late in life! At least it's one of the good ones....I think. It's a 327 with .030 over pop up pistons but so far I can't find a brand marking but haven't looked real hard yet. Anyways, are there any identifying numbers or markings on these things that will give a hint as to what it came out of?? A steel small block crank that's marked 327 came with it but haven't put a mic to it if that will tell me anything but not sure yet what crank is in the engine. Will be pulling the pan off soon to check what's inside and will pull a main and rod cap to see what the bearings look like. It's looks to be used but my old friend did squirt oil into the cylinders but never covered it while sitting on a stand in a damp garage so maybe it's just dirty from sitting for so long. And yup, this is the first time a Chevy engine has ever disgraced my shop LOL

Show us some pictures of it, please.
There is numbers on the front of the block, just in front of the passenger side head, that tell what it came in, along with the date of the casting on the side of the block.

1718815558687.png

Funny I was just hearing a story where a guy bought a 327 years ago and had it stashed away. He just brought it out to do something with it, low and behold , it's a 307 :rofl:

The good news is you can pick up most parts you need at Walmart, or Dollar General.

Wow, hardcore Mopar people!! Come on, we all like to play around with a Chevy once in a while... Lots of fun, until somebody sees you on one!!! haha

Most Chevy motors came out of boats. You'll typically find them attached to a chain, as they interchange nicely with these. View attachment 1681665
:lol: Lots of members here have blown up Mopar engines but so far, I'm guessing maybe I didn't push mine hard enough because even though I've hurt one 440 engine, I've never blown up any.....I did sell a 56 Chevy with a 265 and the guy that bought it blew it up real quick and then wanted restitution which made me laugh and I hurt a 454 in a boat that came apart.....

pretty sure there are numbers stamped in front of the pass side head........ I was playing with one not long ago, its still here

pretty sure there are numbers stamped in front of the pass side head........ I was playing with one not long ago, its still here
Stamped on the block in front of the passenger side head like a small block Mopar block is stamped on the driver's side front? I'll take a look....

Stamped on the block in front of the passenger side head like a Mopar block is stamped on the driver's side front? I'll take a look....
The pad is on the passenger side, front deck, behind the alternator. I only need the last 1-2-or 3 letters of the larger (Size) number. Sometimes on one (the large number set) is stamped and other times it will have the two sets. I can look up the "Suffix" part of the stamp and give you all the info on the block as far as year, size, and what it came out of.

From what I remember numbers will start with DZ if it is a Z 28 engine. Not sure if any came with a 327?
No. '67-'68 were "MP"/"MO" respectively and '69 was DZ. BUT, that is for 302's in the Z28 engine.

Edit, just expanding on what you said.

Last edited:
There is a stamp pad as stated. Casting numbers supposedly mean different things too. Lots of people swear by 010 as a seasoned, high nickel and therefore stronger block. No 4 bolt main 327’s so most people have gone to a 350 block to create one with a 305 crank. I think that’s how it was……..

Oh ya, watch out for the ease of attaining parts and the affordability of them. It’s hard to get used to.

And there's big and small journal cranks iirc

And yup, this is the first time a Chevy engine has ever disgraced my shop LOL
Set fire to the shop......a ritual burning....that should get rid of the demons. :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back