• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much Total (centrifugal) Timing for Stock 318 Build?

Dibbons

Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
My 273 bracket racer was set up for 35 degrees BTDC total timing (I think that was recommended back in the 1970's for a Mopar small block.

Now with a basically stock 318, I would like to ask what total timing some of you out there in the real world are running in stock built 318's? Thank you.

No need to worry about the lower radiator hose being in the way, I have x-ray vision.

timing marks red motor.JPG

Stock low compression and stock cam? I would start with 35 at least unless you have some compression. No kind of a mild cam?

I have a stock build (low compression/stock cam) so I am asking about similar builds.
Stock builds are not much different than what the factory built if you build like the factory did. Thing is, each build is different and replacement pistons are usually never just like what the factory had. Same way with head gaskets unless you make a point to get the same compression height pistons and head gaskets and do not mill the heads and on and on. In my experiences, I generally start up conservative and go with less unless the engine doesn't respond very well and when that happens, I'll start moving the distributor up some until the engine responds well....so long as there are no carb issues. If it starts up good and with a smooth idle but sounds like it labors when you crack open the throttle, I'll bump up the timing a bit and see if that makes a difference....

32-35° Listen carefully for detonation the closer to 35° you get.

When I purchased the vehicle, one cylinder had a small hole burned right through the top of the piston. Never saw anything like it before. Lost the piston somewhere along the way and no foto to share. No idea what camshaft was installed on the motor when I purchased it and found the damage.

I'm running 35 right now, it's a little too much for 87 gas or 93 on a hot day.

I'm getting a FBO plate and will try 14 initial and 32 total.

Can tell ya about a 72 teen with 360 heads, 480 lift cam and a few other mods that ran a 13.51 (backed it up) @ 102 that liked 50 total!! That was my 2nd time to deal with a low compression engine that liked a lot of timing. The first time was with a 440. Scratched my head a lot with the first one and accepted it with the teen lol

Auto Transport Service
Back