• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I heart '70 Coronets.

In particular, what parts are hard to find? I guess the hood and bumpers would be difficult to source...taillight lenses?
Get ready to pound out and frankenstein the sheetmetal, repro specific to 70 ain't all there!
Front bumpers are around here and there, rear are like bigfoot. Grills.
R/T & 500 3panel taillights are scarce, as well as rear finish panels.
Real ramcharger hoods. Deck lids. Valance. Potmetal quarter extensions.
Grills. Non-beat up front turn signals. Grills.
Thankfully, some brightwork and emblems are being repro'd.
Did I say grills?

There are many others, but I don't want to say because those prices will skyrocket if sellers read this!

1970 was the only year of the front bumper design which were supposed to look like bee wings and are the actual bumpers. They were not popular.

1970 was the only year of the front bumper design which were supposed to look like bee wings and are the actual bumpers. They were not popular.
That's what I've been told my whole life, but sales records say different.
The Coronet platform outsold the Satellite platform in all aspects if I'm not mistaken.
Go to the back of a classic Industries catalog

The wrap-around bumpers look like the emblem or cartoon Bee's goggles.

A 4 door with skinny tires looks very disproportionate.

A 2 door with wide tires and a performance hood looks downright mean and menacing, not to mention much like a jet or rocket.

Strikes me that the design department may have designed the facelift around the Bee-R/T and all the other variants were afterthoughts. There's just a bit of credence to this as you may recall that 1970 was supposed to be the debut of the 71 body style with slightly different platforms for 2 door and 4 door versions. Makes one wonder, doesn't it?

...and while I absolutely LOVE the N96 hood on 1969 Dodges (might be my all time favorite), I prefer the "pitch fork" hood on the 70 front end.

When I was 15, I said to my self, "I will have a car with a factory tail stripe some day".

It was the 70 Bee four years later, and I still prefer the tail stripe, although I'd own a C stripe car for sure.

That's what I've been told my whole life, but sales records say different. The Coronet platform outsold the Satellite platform in all aspects if I'm not mistaken.
Pulled from allpar.com for 1970:
Belvidere,Satellite 92,383
Road Runner,GTX 51,152

Coronet 103,395
Super Bee,R/T 18,121

That surprised me, the polarizing face of the base Coronet sold more than grandma's basic hot rod from Plymouth. Overall sales kept up more than I would have guessed, especially since Plymouth was the econo division. If you count platform, though, that would include Charger, and then its game over for Plymouth (foreshadowing).

Last edited:
but I like your 70 much better:thumbsup:

70 Super Bee Advert. #1 Hardtop & Coupe.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back