• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'd like to hear from those with lifts that they can't fully extend up, please?

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
But first - a slight aside, if I may:
I got under Fred the other evening to do the annual "adjust the clutch" thing...
Despite reading the FSM, I pretty much "common sense" it by making the wife work the pedal while I'm under there;
I witness the throwout bearing clearing the clutch fingers while she does this and guesstimate the spacing betwixt
(I don't have any sort of a feeler gauge that dang long...).

Satisfied there hasn't been any appreciable wear on the clutch and that it's right in the middle of pedal travel, where
I like it, I did a rudimentary check of neighboring things under there, witnessed all the oil drips and such - and made
my way back out of there, slowly.
Turned out, real slowly - as in "I can't do this much longer" slowly - and boy, did the concrete make me ache all over!
Fellas, I've reached that point, like I've written about before....

Anyways, I got out a tape measure and did some rudimentary measuring of my little garage vs. height of Fred and
came up with at best, about 5 feet clear as a maximum possible with the use of a lift.
So...
The question begs - is 5 feet clear worth the $$$ and work required to install a lift?
Does anyone reading this have a similar situation now? Was it worth it for you?

If you are 4’6” it sure is! :)
Honestly though, it’s better than lying in your back. But the hunching down would hurt my back fast. I would say at that height I would raise it just high enough to work on my knees. At least it would still be off the ground. The side work would still be great though.

Ok. I’m standing beside my hoist now. 4 post. The bottom of the tires are exactly at my head height. I’m 5’10”. So that gives me the extra probably a foot to the bottom of the floor pan. 5’ at the wheels would still let me stand up straight. Just.

image.jpg

It would be worth it if you got a nice solid roll around stool, or one of those fancy
reclining chair style creepers.

Ok. I’m standing beside my hoist now. 4 post. The bottom of the tires are exactly at my head height. I’m 5’10”. So that gives me the extra probably a foot to the bottom of the floor pan. 5’ at the wheels would still let me stand up straight. Just.

View attachment 1445113
Thanks, but I'm afraid I'm talking 5 feet to the belly of the car, not the bottom of the tires...

Last edited:
What about MaxJack? With 3” extensions the max lift is 50.50”. The top package includes this chair creeper.

95E9ED79-7587-4CF0-B947-5666C77D1938.png

CBFB2AC4-D7D1-4344-9CCB-27A9D6E2EDDE.png

Ed , what direction do your trusses run ?
Just thinking out loud.

As someone who's 6'8" so no matter what lift I have I'm going to have to hunch and bend, I have my 2 post lift up and functioning with an older 4 post I picked up cheap that I'm working on getting back into serviceable condition. And just using the 2 post is amazing, doing tires or even just working in the engine compartment, with being so tall I always have to bend in half to get into the engine bay but with the lift I can raise it a foot or two and then it's at a comfotable working height for me.

So I would say go for the lift and you will be surprised what a couple feet can do for you! The chair creeper is on my Christmas list. ;)

Ed , what direction do your trusses run ?
Just thinking out loud.
100_0953.JPG

garage12.jpg
The horizontal stringer ell-beam that goes across at each column is the killer height-wise....

100_0954.JPG
The door opener would be yet another casualty to buy some height as well...

Can you review/recommend?
Sorry Ed I have no experience with MaxJack except reading about them, years ago, while spinning wrenches on the concrete floor on my back in my old garage. But I did just read they have a new unit capable of 7000lbs. I would take that as more stable and safe for our vehicles.
My dream garage luckily and maybe just in the nick of time came to be recently with a full size 2-post lift.

Looks to me like you have more than enough height with the way it's designed and built....just those roll up doors are what is going to limit you I think.

How deep is your garage? Any chance you can shift the lift deeper into the stall so Fred's roof winds up past the roof truss?

How deep is your garage? Any chance you can shift the lift deeper into the stall so Fred's roof winds up past the roof truss?
As far as the garage door opener, I've seen double garage doors tied together with a steel bar & a single opener winds up mounted centered between them

Auto Transport Service
Back