• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets talk about oil pump relief valve springs

Yep,
I remember seeing the wide grooved mains for the Max Wedge....
Some even grooved the crank....& found it was a good way to break cranks...
Yep, and I think it was 1963 when mopar went to those bearings and the 1/2" pick-up. Guys were spinning bearings left and right on their big block mopars, chevies and ford's. Ford and chevy went to priority main oiling and 4 bolt mains. Mopar just simply quit on the wedges in early 1964 and thru all their effort at the hemis.

A big part

Yep,
I remember seeing the wide grooved mains for the Max Wedge....
Some even grooved the crank....& found it was a good way to break cranks...
I think Hemi's have always been full groove bearings.

I've always relied on the 10psi per 1000rpm rule of thumb. As long as the pressure hits that I don't worry.

The original bulletin that came out back in the '60's concerning the "10lb" rule had nothing to do with idle or low rpm pressure. Just another thing that thru the years has been taken out of context.

The original bulletin that came out back in the '60's concerning the "10lb" rule had nothing to do with idle or low rpm pressure. Just another thing that thru the years has been taken out of context.
What did Chrysler determine was normal pressure at hot idle for a big block back in the day?

if you research they say 8 lbs per 1000 rpms is plenty. if the factory was worried about low pressure at idle they wouldn't have the idiot light come on at 4-7 lbs. never seen or heard an engine blow up while idling. beware the hv pump comes with a HP spring and when you stay into it it can drain your 5 qt oil pan dry. windage tray and a extra 1/2 quart of oil will normally cure that.

if you research they say 8 lbs per 1000 rpms is plenty. if the factory was worried about low pressure at idle they wouldn't have the idiot light come on at 4-7 lbs. never seen or heard an engine blow up while idling. beware the hv pump comes with a HP spring and when you stay into it it can drain your 5 qt oil pan dry. windage tray and a extra 1/2 quart of oil will normally cure that.
I rarely run it at full throttle for more than a few seconds and do have a 6 quart "hemi" pan with windage tray on this motor, so thinking I am good.

Ff
What did Chrysler determine was normal pressure at hot idle for a big block back in the day?
Factory street wedge 45psi, except for 6bbls that used a 65lb spring. Other than 63 and 64 maxwedge that used wide groove mains and 665p rod bearings that had .001" more clearance in them. There were bulletins put out that began before the milodon era for converting to outside pickup and evoluted from there. I remember reading them and having them. Unfortunately I didn't keep any of that thinking I'd never get back in this again after I quit it in 1974. oiling was a big deal. It was the main component to keeping the engine alive.

I never heard the "8psi" back in the day. But, one must keep in mind the 8psi engines never hot idled at a stop light for half an hour. All that is taken out of context when applied to a street engine.

I never heard the "8psi" back in the day. But, one must keep in mind the 8psi engines never hot idled at a stop light for half an hour. All that is taken out of context when applied to a street engine.
back in the day it was said 10 psi, later they came up with 8 psi was plenty.

I don't recall those numbers being used as "ok" in the day I was back in. I still say it's all taken out of context by today's mopar culture.

The factory spec was 20 psi on 383.
Also note the word, MINIMUM.

20 psi minimum at 500 RPM, 45-65 psi at 1000 RPM for all V8s except Hemi, which called for a minimum of 15psi @ 500rpm, that's straight out of the '68 FSM.

He asked about HOT idle. Well.........altho the FSM doesn't say it, that's cold start up. Because the FSM also gives a bypass range, of say on a 383, of 45-65 which is why it's usually around 55. I don't believe you are going to have 45-65 HOT at 1,000 rpms.

The two brgs on the right have the wide groove

img375.jpg

Ran across this chart on Driven's website for oil viscosity for different bearing clearances and oil temp. I have no idea what my oil temp is, but using the middle of the road column, at .0035 main bearing clearance I should probably be running 15w-50 or 20w-50.

viscosity_chart_only.png

Ran across this chart on Driven's website for oil viscosity for different bearing clearances and oil temp. I have no idea what my oil temp is, but using the middle of the road column, at .0035 main bearing clearance I should probably be running 15w-50 or 20w-50.

View attachment 1684023
You need viscosity to fill the "gap". Unfortunately it's all a double edged sword;...damned if you do , damned if you don't. I still suggest trying some 30wt rotella; cheap test. I get concerned about oil film strength. I know there's some modern oils with high strengths but seriously doubt their intent was to fill those big gaps. Race clearances and street clearances are two different things.

The $64,000 question is: WHO ARE "THEY" AND WHAT IS THEIR PROOF OF THEIR PREMISE?.......or is it a just another unsubstantiated comment or relieving in hearsay? Let's see some pix or calculations to support your prenise.......
BOB RENTON

The $64,000 question is: WHO ARE "THEY" AND WHAT IS THEIR PROOF OF THEIR PREMISE?.......or is it a just another unsubstantiated comment or relieving in hearsay? Let's see some pix or calculations to support your prenise.......
BOB RENTON
tell me where the oil pressure is to be at. mine was reading from engine builders in tech magazines like Joe Sherman, David Vizard reading speed talk on and on over the years. so you can tell me what it is supposed to be. the 15 engines I built over the years for myself never blew up and I never was overly concerned or stressed out about the oil pressure.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back