• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets talk about oil pump relief valve springs

Regarding the high-performance/increased clearance engines, the "8lb they" dates at least as far back as 1962 Mother Mopar. TSB lifted from Hamtramck Historical attached for perusal.

63-48 page1.jpg

tell me where the oil pressure is to be at. mine was reading from engine builders in tech magazines like Joe Sherman, David Vizard reading speed talk on and on over the years. so you can tell me what it is supposed to be. the 15 engines I built over the years for myself never blew up and I never was overly concerned or stressed out about the oil pressure.
I can only tell you what works for me......Im not a racer....i just want a reliable, stock appearing engine for an "occasional" street encounter, where sometimes, maximum effort is required. The engine is 0.030" over bore, running a Mellings HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP, with standard spring. I use Clevite tri metal bearings (full groove upper and lower) @ 0.0025" so the rod bearings are oiled all the time and Clevite tri metal rod bearings @ 0.0025". I ise APR HARDWARE holding it together. The pistons are TRW forged 11.0:1 @ 0.005" (with full floating pins) clearance and Perfect Circle low tension rings (top moly faced). The rotating assembly is balanced. The cam is a Crane equilivant to the MOPAR 292° and 0.509" lift and Crane 1.6 ratio rocker arms. I use 7 gts. of Mobil One 10W-30 w/ a pint of ZDDP added; engine uses a windage tray. Cold oil pressure is: ~80 psi @ 2000 RPM; HOT oil pressure at 1200 RPM is ~60#; HOT oil pressure at 5000 RPM is ~ 75 psi. The lifter bores are UNBUSHED; block rocker arm oil feed hole is stock. I really don't care what anyone else does or how they build their engines.....I've built Ford (406, 427, 428, 460) and GM (350...Pontiac, Olds, Chevy) 427, 455) using the same criteria ......I'll stay with what works for me.......just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

HED

What is your oil pressure hot and cold RJ?
In response to your question:
"Cold oil pressure is: ~80 psi @ 2000 RPM; HOT oil pressure at 1200 RPM is ~60#; HOT oil pressure at 5000 RPM is ~ 75 psi". The hot idle RPM of ~ 1200 is due in large part to the cam. FYI....the rear gear is a DANA 60 with 4.10:1. Ignition is: Prestolite dual point distributor recurved: Static timing: 15° with 20° Distributor = 35° all in at 2600 RPM. I DO NOT USE VACUUM ADVANCE. I also use: Champion U-11G or Champion HO-8A spark plugs gapped at 0.032" Both types are NON PROJECTED CENTER ELECTRODES; both types are platinum electrode.
Hope this answers your question..........
BOB RENTON

Some of you would have a heart attack if you put a pressure gauge on new stuff.
Doug

Just did a fresh oil change yesterday on the 383 for the upcoming race season. 20 50 Castrol classic with a wix 51515R . Fired it up and was rewarded with about 95 cold at 1500.. and this baby is well used..
Had a great sleep last night!

Auto Transport Service
Back