• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low alternator charge at idle

Is there any special modifications required to get the LED lights to work with our cars? I seem to recall when LED headlights first came out that some additional wiring upgrades were required.
LED Turn signals require LED compatible flasher units, the normal flashers rely of current to heat a thermal switch AKA a bi-metallic strip to make & break contact... LED's draw significantly less power so the lights never flash... Also LED are polarity specific and usually on a Mopar the hazard flashers wires at the flasher need to be reversed.... Headlights should just be a drop in deal...

Is there any special modifications required to get the LED lights to work with our cars? I seem to recall when LED headlights first came out that some additional wiring upgrades were required.
Nope... LED headlights just plug into the OE connectors, for the other bulbs like brake lights, turn signals the flasher unit should be chnaged to an electronic one.
A major advantage of LED headlights is they draw much lower current so they work just fine with OE wiring provided it is in good condition.
Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Nope... LED headlights just plug into the OE connectors, for the other bulbs like brake lights, turn signals the flasher unit should be chnaged to an electronic one.
A major advantage of LED headlights is they draw much lower current so they work just fine with OE wiring provided it is in good condition.
Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:
I did all this back in 17 and im only interested in the 4 lights on low conversion which I just figured out. Depending on your charging system it’s only going to cost you around 3 amps total to go to a 40 amp bulb and they are way brighter. Octane already has a 25w bulb which would be good for factory wired cars because they’ll only consume around 8 amps total to the Holleys 10 amps that could very a tad. 160 amp 1 wire alt maybe having me using even less AMPs. I’ll have to check it out one day.

I switched my cars over to the Toyota 4 Runner Denso style internally regulated alternators. I did it for a different reason however. The high output (15-15.3 volts) that all of the new electronic voltage regulators for 1969 and older put out. I did buy the bracket kits from AR Engineering, but some guys are just adding a couple different spacers to the OEM setup and getting it to work. Night and day difference in how these Denso's charge. Even at 800 rpm, they are putting out the correct full voltage. I had the Denso's tested before installing, and they actually put out more than 70 amps. I couldn't be happier with the upgrade.
Do you recall which year and optioned 4 Runner the alt would have come on?

EDIT Nevermind found it on google etc. Toyota 4Runner (1985 to 1991 with L4 engine)

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back