• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newly discovered photo reignites Amelia Earhart conspiracy theory

I was in Guam many times supporting MX and Minute Man ICBM tests (Airborne telemetry 1983 thru 1996ish?)
We were downtown at a local establishment and the old time Guamanian bar-keep loved us, we'd bring him Beef, (Steaks) dart boards etc for his bar.
He told us of a WWII Japanese solider that had been hiding out on Guam and found in 1972 or 1974
Guy was a hero in Japan when he went back home
He was quoted as saying he thought the war was still going on because of the Jets taking off all the time from Anderson AFB (in support of the Viet Nam war)

I remember watching a TV show documentary on the History channel (I think), where they were interviewing US Marine Corps Infantry members that participated in the Saipan invasion during WW2. There was one "Mud Marine" who said they found a small safe inside a hut they had just captured after killing the Japanese occupants. They rigged the safe with a small explosive charge, just enough to blow it open. Inside the safe there was a small leather satchel that had supposedly had pictures of Amelia and Fred Noonan, and a bunch of documents written in Japanese. These Marines handed the leather satchel over to their Lieutenant and he in turn passed it up the Chain of Command. It was never seen again by these men, and they said they were given strict orders not to mention anything about it ever again......................

Who knows ?????

I've always had an interest in the Earhart story. So many 'why' questions came to mind. Like why did they have Howland island as a refueling stop in the first place, it's a flyspeck with a runway notorious for having birds on it, while they could have selected Canton island instead, where Pan Am had a big long runway and was easier to spot. Who benefited from a cover up, if any? Certainly the US Navy, who spent over $4million scouring the seas 'looking for her' and studying everything they could find about the Japanese Imperial Navy at the same time. Incidentally, Canton island (Now spelled Kanton) was the first place that both U.S.S. Swan and U.S.S. Colorado headed to to start the search.

So many people claimed to have seen her, and talked with Amelia, now using another name. There's some interesting stuff in the 1970 book 'Amelia Earhart Lives', by Joe Klass.

And more interesting, Amelia's Lockheed Electra had registration N-16020. If it truly disappeared in 1937, then why did another Lockheed Electra with registration N-16020 crash in the California mountains 24 years later, in December 1961? http://www.baaa-acro.com/1961/archives/crash-of-a-lockheed-12-electra-junior-in-california/

I've always had an interest in the Earhart story. So many 'why' questions came to mind. Like why did they have Howland island as a refueling stop in the first place, it's a flyspeck with a runway notorious for having birds on it, while they could have selected Canton island instead, where Pan Am had a big long runway and was easier to spot. Who benefited from a cover up, if any? Certainly the US Navy, who spent over $4million scouring the seas 'looking for her' and studying everything they could find about the Japanese Imperial Navy at the same time. Incidentally, Canton island (Now spelled Kanton) was the first place that both U.S.S. Swan and U.S.S. Colorado headed to to start the search.

So many people claimed to have seen her, and talked with Amelia, now using another name. There's some interesting stuff in the 1970 book 'Amelia Earhart Lives', by Joe Klass.

And more interesting, Amelia's Lockheed Electra had registration N-16020. If it truly disappeared in 1937, then why did another Lockheed Electra with registration N-16020 crash in the California mountains 24 years later, in December 1961? http://www.baaa-acro.com/1961/archives/crash-of-a-lockheed-12-electra-junior-in-california/
Earhart's bird was a model 10 Electra.....the Cali crash was a model 12.......tail #'s can be re-issued

The US Gov had several distinct pre-Pearl Harbor signals/sightings w/i 72 hours of the attack to at the very least place the fleet stationed there on alert and/or move some of the fleet out of the harbor. For whatever reasons, we could speculate, this wasn't done as one sighting should have scared the **** out of everyone. And it's a stretch to think AE would be doing any spying or asked to do, conversely the Japanese certainly could have thought she was. The planning to attack the USA didn't happen over the course of months, it was many years. There was a lot of Japanese "activity" in and around the islands AE was in. I think what's been recently reported could have happened; but how will we ever know for sure? I'm still wondering who really killed JFK!
Sure was not oswald

The US Gov had several distinct pre-Pearl Harbor signals/sightings w/i 72 hours of the attack to at the very least place the fleet stationed there on alert and/or move some of the fleet out of the harbor. For whatever reasons, we could speculate, this wasn't done as one sighting should have scared the **** out of everyone. And it's a stretch to think AE would be doing any spying or asked to do, conversely the Japanese certainly could have thought she was. The planning to attack the USA didn't happen over the course of months, it was many years. There was a lot of Japanese "activity" in and around the islands AE was in. I think what's been recently reported could have happened; but how will we ever know for sure? I'm still wondering who really killed JFK!
Sure was not oswald

I remember watching a TV show documentary on the History channel (I think), where they were interviewing US Marine Corps Infantry members that participated in the Saipan invasion during WW2. There was one "Mud Marine" who said they found a small safe inside a hut they had just captured after killing the Japanese occupants. They rigged the safe with a small explosive charge, just enough to blow it open. Inside the safe there was a small leather satchel that had supposedly had pictures of Amelia and Fred Noonan, and a bunch of documents written in Japanese. These Marines handed the leather satchel over to their Lieutenant and he in turn passed it up the Chain of Command. It was never seen again by these men, and they said they were given strict orders not to mention anything about it ever again......................

Who knows ?????

I remember that Bladecutter!

Uh,
I "don't follow" 69coronetrt

Are you saying you need "help" understanding my above post?
If so:
Simply put:
It is Authentic

Some more help for you....
Not FAKE/FORGED nor Photo-shopped

Conclusion: It IS Noonan and Amelia
Some more help for you:
I replied to another post about this very story years ago on the History channel
This "theory" that Amelia and Noonan were captured and alive

I hope this helps you.

Uh,
I "don't follow" 69coronetrt

Are you saying you need "help" understanding my above post?
If so:
Simply put:
It is Authentic

Some more help for you....
Not FAKE/FORGED nor Photo-shopped

Conclusion: It IS Noonan and Amelia
Some more help for you:
I replied to another post about this very story years ago on the History channel
This "theory" that Amelia and Noonan were captured and alive

I hope this helps you.

I could have told you it was an authentic photo. It doesn't prove a thing about the fate of AE. Re read post 5. Humans want finite answers when none exist. We will go to great lengths to "prove" evidence fit our theories. Humans love a good conspiracy THEORY.

Other research, and a little common sense, contradicts this THEORY. I suggest the work done by Aoki. Also, if the Japanese had AE and Noonan in custody, would not their return had been better compensation for the Panay incident seven months later? AE and Noonan were NOT in an area controlled by the Japanese military at that time but a convenient shifting of the calendar to fit time lines helps feed into the "barbaric Japanese" narrative. WHY would the Japanese military have even wanted AE in July of 1937? If for nothing else, negotiation leverage but what would they be negotiating? The Japanese would have more interest in keeping her healthy and alive as a future bargaining chip. She would have been more valuable and safe in Japan as opposed to Saipan.

Am I still bitter about wasting an hour on Al Capone's safe? Yep and it's caused me to be more skeptical and critical about claims of "new evidence" that surfaces, especially when it is overhyped for ratings on a network that jumped the shark a while back.

We are in the July sweeps period..........

Sorry Jimi,
I thought you posted the History Channel documentary.

No Jimmy is right. I posted it....................... I watched the show last night too. Interesting............... They went to Saipan too, but didn't mention the US Marines that found the satchel, ( or brown leather briefcase that was handed over).

Here's a link I found that talks about the briefcase found in Saipan:

http://www.ameliaearhartmovie.com/briefcasefoundinsaipan.html

Then I remembered a few other things that I thought were odd about the chain of events...............

If I'm not mistaken, the original flight plan was to fly from East to West. From Oakland, California to Hawaii and so on. (Just the opposite direction of what happened on the final version of the around the world flight, where she flew from Oakland CA, to Miami FL and on around the World from there). This was apparently done to use the prevailing winds to their advantage as they crossed the Pacific. It would also place the hardest part of the journey near the beginning of the trip when they were less prone to exhaustion, and help them with fuel consumption, theoretically extending the range of the Electra.

She ground looped her Electra on takeoff in Hawaii which was the very first stop. Her Electra was moderately damaged. It was then repaired back to airworthy status, but after it was shipped back to Lockheed by sea. Some say the plane was at Ford Island at Pearl Harbor just prior to the take off accident. Ford Island was part of the US Navy's base at Pearl Harbor.

Here's where it gets tricky....................

Some say the FDR wanted her to spy on the Japanese, and "secretly" asked her to change the course of the flight, by flying from the West to the East, just as she finally did. This would put her in the Pacific at the end of the trip, and since the event was World News, it would supposedly draw less attention from the Japanese.

Since the Electra was moderately damaged in the takeoff in Hawaii during the first "Around the World" attempt, the plane was repaired by Lockheed in Burbank, CA. Others have stated that Paul Mantz, (who was a Hollywood stunt pilot and friend of Amelia's) made some additional changes after Lockheed made the plane airworthy again. He is supposed to have upgraded the generators after this rebuild. (This becomes important later................)

There were numerous people who reported a twin engine silver colored plane at Saipan at the end of WW2. Not uncommon since there was a lot of military aircraft activity there during the War, by the Japanese and eventually the Americans. What is strange though, is that there have been numerous persons who stated that this particular plane was under armed guard by US servicemen shortly after its discovery. No one was allowed near it, and it was then partially burned a few days later.

The remains of the plane were supposedly picked over and that's when someone noticed the generators. They were apparently a match to the ones that Paul Mantz installed back in 1937.

Again I state.................... who knows.......................

No Jimmy is right. I posted it....................... I watched the show last night too. Interesting............... They went to Saipan too, but didn't mention the US Marines that found the satchel, ( or brown leather briefcase that was handed over).

Here's a link I found that talks about the briefcase found in Saipan:

http://www.ameliaearhartmovie.com/briefcasefoundinsaipan.html

Then I remembered a few other things that I thought were odd about the chain of events...............

If I'm not mistaken, the original flight plan was to fly from East to West. From Oakland, California to Hawaii and so on. (Just the opposite direction of what happened on the final version of the around the world flight, where she flew from Oakland CA, to Miami FL and on around the World from there). This was apparently done to use the prevailing winds to their advantage as they crossed the Pacific. It would also place the hardest part of the journey near the beginning of the trip when they were less prone to exhaustion, and help them with fuel consumption, theoretically extending the range of the Electra.

She ground looped her Electra on takeoff in Hawaii which was the very first stop. Her Electra was moderately damaged. It was then repaired back to airworthy status, but after it was shipped back to Lockheed by sea. Some say the plane was at Ford Island at Pearl Harbor just prior to the take off accident. Ford Island was part of the US Navy's base at Pearl Harbor.

Here's where it gets tricky....................

Some say the FDR wanted her to spy on the Japanese, and "secretly" asked her to change the course of the flight, by flying from the West to the East, just as she finally did. This would put her in the Pacific at the end of the trip, and since the event was World News, it would supposedly draw less attention from the Japanese.

Since the Electra was moderately damaged in the takeoff in Hawaii during the first "Around the World" attempt, the plane was repaired by Lockheed in Burbank, CA. Others have stated that Paul Mantz, (who was a Hollywood stunt pilot and friend of Amelia's) made some additional changes after Lockheed made the plane airworthy again. He is supposed to have upgraded the generators after this rebuild. (This becomes important later................)

There were numerous people who reported a twin engine silver colored plane at Saipan at the end of WW2. Not uncommon since there was a lot of military aircraft activity there during the War, by the Japanese and eventually the Americans. What is strange though, is that there have been numerous persons who stated that this particular plane was under armed guard by US servicemen shortly after its discovery. No one was allowed near it, and it was then partially burned a few days later.

The remains of the plane were supposedly picked over and that's when someone noticed the generators. They were apparently a match to the ones that Paul Mantz installed back in 1937.

Again I state.................... who knows.......................
Paul Mantz was a Friend of my Dad's. For those Who don't know, Paul Mantz is the Pilot Who flew the Twin Beech through the billboard & taxied it into the restaurant in Mad,Mad,Mad World. Also the Pilot Who flew the plane fabricated from boom & wings of a C-124 in the original
Flight of the Phoenix movie, in which He tragically died, during the last take of the desert flights...the ending scene of movie. The killer is that they had plenty of film already in the can, were done, but decided at last minute they wanted to do an unscheduled take. The scenes were actually touch & goes, not full stop take offs & landings....on the last touch, He bounced, which became more exaggerated...on third bounce, the fuselage/boom broke its back just aft of the wings trailing edge & then the bird began a series of endoes. The mechanic Who was with Him survived & that is His account of the events that took place during accident. I saw a sequential photo accounting....it was a hairy son of a bitch.

Earhart's bird was a model 10 Electra.....the Cali crash was a model 12.......tail #'s can be re-issued
It would have been odd to re-issue the same tail number for another Electra, a wild coincidence. The crashed plane had 1937 build dates on the generators.

But I liked your Paul Mantz stories. I knew about the fatality on the filming of that movie, didn't know that you or your dad knew him!

It would have been odd to re-issue the same tail number for another Electra, a wild coincidence. The crashed plane had 1937 build dates on the generators.

But I liked your Paul Mantz stories. I knew about the fatality on the filming of that movie, didn't know that you or your dad knew him!
Dad knew Him, but i did not. Dad was real broken up & livid with the film industry.
For the Lockheed, from the link You posted, report states it a 12 & Earhart's bird was definitely a 10.
First flight of the 10 was 1934,,,the 12 in 1936, so the 1937 generators make sense.

Auto Transport Service
Back