• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newly discovered photo reignites Amelia Earhart conspiracy theory

I watched the show too. It does make perfect sense to me that when we intercepted the Japanese encrypted messages about Amelia and Noonan, it was decided that we couldn't get involved due to the fact we could tip off the Japanese the we broke their code. Lots of preparing for war in those days.
It would have Ben easy to make her the sacrificial woman flyer in those days.

But who really knows after all these years!

Have you noticed the AE disappearance remains as much a mystery as before despite the very thorough posts by members who have read much about it? I can say i learned several details here I had no clue about yet still a total mystery...

I could have told you it was an authentic photo. It doesn't prove a thing about the fate of AE. Re read post 5. Humans want finite answers when none exist. We will go to great lengths to "prove" evidence fit our theories. Humans love a good conspiracy THEORY.

Other research, and a little common sense, contradicts this THEORY. I suggest the work done by Aoki. Also, if the Japanese had AE and Noonan in custody, would not their return had been better compensation for the Panay incident seven months later? AE and Noonan were NOT in an area controlled by the Japanese military at that time but a convenient shifting of the calendar to fit time lines helps feed into the "barbaric Japanese" narrative. WHY would the Japanese military have even wanted AE in July of 1937? If for nothing else, negotiation leverage but what would they be negotiating? The Japanese would have more interest in keeping her healthy and alive as a future bargaining chip. She would have been more valuable and safe in Japan as opposed to Saipan.

Am I still bitter about wasting an hour on Al Capone's safe? Yep and it's caused me to be more skeptical and critical about claims of "new evidence" that surfaces, especially when it is overhyped for ratings on a network that jumped the shark a while back.

We are in the July sweeps period..........

Well,
After reading many books on the So Pac campaign, all I can think of is perhaps a Rogue Colonel from the Japanese Imperial Army captured them.
And, it was 1937
Japan HATED our Foreign Policies especially with China
Also, if "you" were stationed out in the Pacific in 1937 on some Island in the Marshalls (I've been there BTW) you are literally "ON ANOTHER PLANET"
It is and was that remote both then and now.

My apologies to YOU 69Coronetrt for a "snippy" reply
All good points you have,

I am convinced that the U. S had Amelia fly over certain routes to perform reconnaissance on Japanese movements in the Pacific

Great read. Thanks for all the info on this guys. Not having cable, i miss out on a lot of this stuff.

Thanks. I appreciate your interest in the war and readings you have been doing. I got hooked on WWII about 25 years ago with an interest in all facets but mostly the Pacific. I'd be happy to recommend some current writing on the subject if you are interested.

I go back to posts 4-5 showing the intended flight path map. NONE of that territory was under Japanese control in July 1937. What would be the purpose of reconnaissance when the known Japanese controlled islands were further north in the Marshall Islands?

Most of that flight path area was occupied/ populated / commercialized by Allied countries or friendly natives. There would have been a significant number of eyes already on the ground or in local waters that would have offered a more credible, consistent or expedient report than a fly over by a civilian pilot. What could or would she have seen with a quick flyover when qualified AAC or USN pilots would have been available to loiter on a daily basis?

The premise of surveillance doesn't stand up to scrutiny in my opinion.

we knew in the '20s that there would be a war in the Pacific with Japan...and from the books I've read about the Pacific, our maps and charts of the area were decades old. Maybe EA was supposed to be making some current ones.

Great read. Thanks for all the info on this guys. Not having cable, i miss out on a lot of this stuff.

HA HA
NOT HAVING CABLE
WHO CARES!
YOU LIVE ON PISMO BEACH.......

I wouldn't even own a watch if I lived where you lived!
Uh, can you say: "Living the dream"?

Cool!
BTW Tori
Some good books out there....So Pacific campaign, the buildup with American Policies supporting China on the Yangtze River, the annoyance of Japan with our Colonialism policies .

Thanks. I appreciate your interest in the war and readings you have been doing. I got hooked on WWII about 25 years ago with an interest in all facets but mostly the Pacific. I'd be happy to recommend some current writing on the subject if you are interested.

I go back to posts 4-5 showing the intended flight path map. NONE of that territory was under Japanese control in July 1937. What would be the purpose of reconnaissance when the known Japanese controlled islands were further north in the Marshall Islands?

Most of that flight path area was occupied/ populated / commercialized by Allied countries or friendly natives. There would have been a significant number of eyes already on the ground or in local waters that would have offered a more credible, consistent or expedient report than a fly over by a civilian pilot. What could or would she have seen with a quick flyover when qualified AAC or USN pilots would have been available to loiter on a daily basis?

The premise of surveillance doesn't stand up to scrutiny in my opinion.

hmm,
I do disagree 69Coronetrt on that "Flight Path" plan
That was certainly a Recon mission
This comment of your is the "smoking gun":
What could or would she have seen with a quick flyover when qualified AAC or USN pilots would have been available to loiter on a daily basis?
WE, America, had no clue what was out there...Im not going to debate it with you
I've been out there
Fiji
New Caledonia
Tahiti
Guam
Wake
Midway
Saipan
It took forever to GET there flight time wise
We were cruising at 500+ knots
FL380
We had NAVI
They were so remote back in 1937
We knew nothing of that area, and who was going to FLY there?
A single NAVY aircraft?
"That is precisely why AE was in that area at that time"
Recon
So:
In my opinion, you do not wish to accept the fact that the Japanese Navy buildup was already beginning in that region.
I disagree but I value your vast knowledge in many many areas 69Coronetrt
I have respect for you
On this one, I stand w/ conviction

Glad you did your reading
Peace out man

Last edited:
HA HA
NOT HAVING CABLE
WHO CARES!
YOU LIVE ON PISMO BEACH.......

I wouldn't even own a watch if I lived where you lived!
Uh, can you say: "Living the dream"?

Cool!
BTW Tori
Some good books out there....So Pacific campaign, the buildup with American Policies supporting China on the Yangtze River, the annoyance of Japan with our Colonialism policies .[/QUOTES]

shhhh,..... stop yellin' bro. :) yer harshing my vibe. We don't raise our voices around here,...... just our umbrella drinks. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
hmm,
I do disagree 69Coronetrt on that "Flight Path" plan
That was certainly a Recon mission
On this one, I stand w/ conviction

Glad you did your reading
Peace out man

Ok one last shot.....

The actual flight path was not on a straight line as portrayed in the flight path map.
She took off east of Lae, over the Solomon Sea to Choiseul island (SE of Bougainville) then headed north east to Nukumanu Atol. Nukumanu Atol was a critical point in the flight as that was a landmark that had to be sighted BEFORE DARK.

The daylight flight path took her over allied (Mostly Australian) known and controlled friendly territory. If she was doing reconnaissance work after Nukumanu Atol, she was doing it in the dark and, probably, too busy watching the stars for navigation instead of the sea for ships.

Her daylight reconnaissance mission would have been limited in distance and over friendly territory. What could be the expected results of such a limited reconnaissance mission?

Lae to Nukumanu Atol is approximately 800 surface miles.
Lae to Howland is approximately 2,556 Surface miles.

The operational distance of a PBY, put into service in late '36/ early '37 was approximately 2,500 miles. If desired, a PBY could have covered the same daylight route with longer linger time plus the ability to rest and refuel via tender along the way. There would be no hurry or concern about landing on water for a PBY. Plus, it could have been positioned further north to skirt the edges of the Marshall island group where the potential for Japanese ship movements could be expected.

AE and Noonan didn't know where they were. How could they be expected to credibly report on any suspicious movements by others?

Yes, a lot of the flight territory was eventually under Japanese military control, but not until at least 4.5 years after her flight when the Japanese were far more capable militarily and less distracted by China politically. The route, timing, actual flight factors, and other potential avenues of reconnaissance cannot suggest the AE flight was a viable recon flight.

Thank you for your service and I am envious that you have seen some significant islands and places I never will.

https://earhartsearchpng.com/earhart-lockheed-electra-search-project-6/

http://irene-amelia.com/id95.html
raw.gif

Most likely this is another one of those hyped up TV series that will end with no conclusive findings. Oak Island, Hitler, etc, etc.

Ok one last shot.....

The actual flight path was not on a straight line as portrayed in the flight path map.
She took off east of Lae, over the Solomon Sea to Choiseul island (SE of Bougainville) then headed north east to Nukumanu Atol. Nukumanu Atol was a critical point in the flight as that was a landmark that had to be sighted BEFORE DARK.

The daylight flight path took her over allied (Mostly Australian) known and controlled friendly territory. If she was doing reconnaissance work after Nukumanu Atol, she was doing it in the dark and, probably, too busy watching the stars for navigation instead of the sea for ships.

Her daylight reconnaissance mission would have been limited in distance and over friendly territory. What could be the expected results of such a limited reconnaissance mission?

Lae to Nukumanu Atol is approximately 800 surface miles.
Lae to Howland is approximately 2,556 Surface miles.

The operational distance of a PBY, put into service in late '36/ early '37 was approximately 2,500 miles. If desired, a PBY could have covered the same daylight route with longer linger time plus the ability to rest and refuel via tender along the way. There would be no hurry or concern about landing on water for a PBY. Plus, it could have been positioned further north to skirt the edges of the Marshall island group where the potential for Japanese ship movements could be expected.

AE and Noonan didn't know where they were. How could they be expected to credibly report on any suspicious movements by others?

Yes, a lot of the flight territory was eventually under Japanese military control, but not until at least 4.5 years after her flight when the Japanese were far more capable militarily and less distracted by China politically. The route, timing, actual flight factors, and other potential avenues of reconnaissance cannot suggest the AE flight was a viable recon flight.

Thank you for your service and I am envious that you have seen some significant islands and places I never will.

https://earhartsearchpng.com/earhart-lockheed-electra-search-project-6/

Looks like you may be "on target" 69Coronetrt....
The pic seems to be "before" she went missing
Ya know...
Look at her casual/relaxed pose on the end of the dock...

If they can get some DNA, then maybe. That will be the only way it is a definitive discovery and end all the speculation. Until then, we wait..

Auto Transport Service
Back