• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post up facts and things that hardly anyone knows...... (for entertainment purposes only. NO need to fact check)

Very few geologists these days hold to the old hypothesis of erosion over millions of years. Many geologists prefer the hypothesis of catastrophic overtopping of lakes. That's when you have an earthen dam that gives way suddenly due to erosion caused by the water within the lake spilling over the top.

Think about the Oroville Dam catastrophe, for example.

For an extremely thorough investigation of the formation of the Grand Canyon see the rather lengthy article link.

Last edited:
Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history.

Clubs - Alexander the Great,
Spades - King David
Diamonds - Julius Caesar
Hearts - Charlemagne

Very few geologists these days hold to the old hypothesis of erosion over millions of years. Many geologists prefer the hypothesis of catastrophic overtopping of lakes. That's when you have an earthen dam that gives way suddenly due to erosion caused by the water within the lake spilling over the top.

Think about the Oroville Dam catastrophe, for example.

For an extremely thorough investigation of the formation of the Grand Canyon see the rather lengthy article link.

[/URL]
I was going to link that article as well. Lots of room for people to be on all sides of the debate.
But ya, you're right.

Where is the example here of very deep channel erosion from a sudden rush of water? I don't see it.
Most of the geologists online today must be of the "very few". I'd welcome to hear what the many have to say..
How much water?? Nothing says how much but if it was LOTS.....well, what geologists today would know?

Where is the example here of very deep channel erosion from a sudden rush of water? I don't see it.
Most of the geologists online today must be of the "very few". I'd welcome to hear what the many have to say..
The Oroville Dam is the most recent example of spillover effect on earthworks that comes to mind.

The best examples of catastrophic erosion are in the article. There's one regarding the aftermath of the Mt St Helens volcano eruption.

The Clint Eastwood movie Fist Full of Dollars was actually a remake of Akira Korosawa's 1961 Samurai film, Yojimbo.

You know why the third Reich used so little concrete in its signature cities?
It was supposed to be a 1000-year endeavor, so they used stone/marble, as concrete rarely structurally lasts beyond 100 years.
Case in point, concrete normally expands as it hardens over time. The Fontana dam was built quickly in WW2 to supply nearby Kaiser Alum with power to make Alum and supply Oak Ridge in the Manhattan Project.
Fontana has been structurally deteriorating for decades. It is currently heavily wired and structurally monitored. The blue wire is one part of a large monitoring system offsite. There are two? other dams downstream before Chattanooga that are predicted to fail if Fontana fails. That would put Chattanooga under 10' of water. My source here were the techs installing upgrading the monitoring system onsite 2018 and prior. You can clearly see the shift of more than 3 inches at one of the main joints in the large dam hundreds of feet tall and wide.

View attachment 1703117
1722377307357.png

I'm not going to issue any warning points this time, but I will grant a long vacation** to anyone posting about massacres and genocide in this thread or General Discussion forum. Such topics belong in the Political Forum ONLY.

**Long Vacation: for the remainder of this year.

Auto Transport Service
Back