• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling 440 WITH headers?

I am going to say no you can't pull the motor or refresh it with the headers on. Yeah it sucks getting starter and headers in. It can require a hammer and die grinder, at the least.

Engine out, then engine back in.

73 R.JPG

602 U.JPG

Seriously, it’s not that difficult to R&R headers. If your physical limitations are holding you back, work on it for an hour or two a day so you don’t over do it. When I replaced my Hookers with TTI’s last winter I got most of it done in a weekend while working at a leisurely pace. Do you have someone who can help you?

Seriously, it’s not that difficult to R&R headers. If your physical limitations are holding you back, work on it for an hour or two a day so you don’t over do it. When I replaced my Hookers with TTI’s last winter I got most of it done in a weekend while working at a leisurely pace. Do you have someone who can help you?
I do. Just not wanting to go thru all of it again. Thanks

Every day I walk out to the shop and look at the things that didn't get done by themselves !!

Evidently you can do it on these cars. Tube frame and no torsion bars.
Also 426 Hemi exhaust ports point down, not out to the sides like the other mopar V8's.

Stare at these for a while and see all there is to see.

80B5D9B7-C83B-46EA-8BEA-0107C475B363.jpeg

7A08A61E-8486-4782-B12F-DFBE97E1CEBB.jpeg

How the hemi ports face is insignificant. Installation or removal is no easier. A fully assembled engine - hemi, RB or otherwise - had to be narrow enough to fit between the frame rails and shock towers for assembly on the line. If you check, you will find that an assembled hemi is pretty damn close to the same width as a big block.

When removing the 440 with Hookers Long headers a couple months ago on a 70 RR, it was removed from on top. I had to unbolt the headers and suspend them with bungees before removing the engine. I tried all different ways, but Hookers suck. Someone said that TTI headers are easier to install and remove the engine. Can someone confirm that. When I put the engine back in, it is coming in from the bottom.

What zyzzyx did seems to be the easiest way. Nice pics.

When you put the engine back in, please post some pics.

Just for info, my RR is going to have the QA1 handling level 2 with a new K member, coil overs and rack and pinion steering. Its going to be interesting but I am always up for the challenge.

Good Luck.

For that matter you cant even pull a low deck 383 with the headers on it. Torsion bars and steering box become issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back