• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restomod charger pics

I agree 747, thats a cool looking Charger! I hope you find out where the bumpers all go, thats part of the fun when we get them with everything untagged and in the car, the puzzle starts :)

Well fella's "I'm Done", I've reached the breaking point and am taking some time off. This car has fought me every step of the way and now thanks to an idiot at the paint store I've got a **** load of work to do "again". "No" I didn't paint it yet but ran into an issue with the clear on the trunk opening, I literally blew it all off with an air nozzle. I did some calling around trying to figure out why when I was told never, never mix brands which is exactly what my paint supplier told me I could do "urethane is urethane". So with an engine compartment done in the same manner it will likely just blow off as well along with the door jams....................... As you can imagine I'm pretty bent, mostly at myself for not knowing but still pretty fired up about a paint supplier actually telling me to do what the manufactures say to never do. I'm hoping to not have to redo everything but man I just don't think I'll be comfortable until I do. Did I mention he sold me PPG Deltron for my Charcoal rump stripe and flag "yeap" all wrong, "really" as a paint salesmen shouldn't he know what seems to be common knowledge in the Industry except of coarse for me. Enjoy fella's

Man I'm sorry to hear that, so the clear just didn't bond to the surface or? And don't feel too bad, my buddy asked me the other day if there was anything I've done on the car that went off easy "without a hitch" the first time, and I couldn't think of a single one lol. Everything has given me a challenge one way or another, just the name of the game with hotrodding I guess.

Regardless, sounds like a pretty braindead paint salesman..

Dude that blows (pun intended). On the good side, at least you didn't have the whole car painted.

Man I'm sorry to hear that, so the clear just didn't bond to the surface or? And don't feel too bad, my buddy asked me the other day if there was anything I've done on the car that went off easy "without a hitch" the first time, and I couldn't think of a single one lol. Everything has given me a challenge one way or another, just the name of the game with hotrodding I guess.

Regardless, sounds like a pretty braindead paint salesman..
What happened was this, when I painted the jams, trunk opening and engine compartment I had an issue with the white bleeding threw the orange (semi translucent base) in two areas that were in corners that as a result got hit a little more. I forget how much time you have to topcoat it but it's quite a bit so I gave it a little time and then dusted enough orange on it to hide the white and cleared it. I was well within the window but it didn't adhere at all "like I said"I literally blew it all off with an air nozzle. I'm not sure what to do with the underside of the hood, trunk lid and inside of the doors, I sprayed them next and got the clear on pretty quick and have had zero issues with them. I've thought about just making sure I wet sand the clear off the edges to ensure if there is an issue on the underside it will just be there and not effect the rest. Right now the engine compartment is the big question mark, I know it's very questionable but at the same time I hope to put a T56 in sometime soon which I would pull the motor and redo it. For now I'm just going to get it sealed so I don't have to worry about moisture "at least it will look like it's done, just white instead".

- - - Updated - - -

Dude that blows (pun intended). On the good side, at least you didn't have the whole car painted.
Yeah, thank goodness for that. That really would have sucked, maiden voyage at 75 mph #&*@ starts flying off everywhere. The paint job on the car would have been fine for the most part because I bought all House of Colors products for the job. I just hated to let allot of good clear I had laying around go to waste so I used it when doing the other areas.

Well I lied, turns out I can't stay out of the garage even if I want to. Tonight I wanted to resolve the ignition problem once and for all. I was getting a voltage drop from 14V to 9.9V while cranking the motor where it would try to fire as you let off the crank position and the motor was still turning for a split second. Since I have my battery in the trunk and the kit only came with a short negative cable I suspected it (steal is only about 40% as conductive as copper). I started out with a 12 gauge wire directly from the negative post to the negative on the ignition box "same thing" then the same with the positive "same thing" next I wired the positive directly to the ignition source on the ignition box "presto, we have a winner". After that I pulled the plug on the ignition switch out far enough to get an alligator clamp on it with 12V just to be sure it wasn't in the wiring and it fire again. So mark up another junk brand new part (Ron Francis ignition switch). With that resolved it starts very easily every time now.

- - - Updated - - -

O.K now the bad news, I couldn't stand the thought of my engine compartment going to #$&* so I did a little test "yeap" motors coming out next weak for a new paint job. You always got to find the good in everything "now I can clean my motor back up" haha, no seriously I wanted to get rid of the deep oil pan for a stock one and make a few other changes. Now for the good news, I tested everything and everything that was cleared quickly will not come off, not with a chisel, air or rough sand paper so I feel safe at least knowing where the problems are. The nice thing about it is the clear blows off leaving a perfect coat of base just scuff it put another light coat of base and clear again. I will never, never, never mix brands again, I blame myself for not checking it out myself instead of taking his word for it and he'll know about it for sure "I hate to see another go threw this". Monday I'll talk to House of Colors to see what my options are on the flag and rump stripe.

I hope everything goes better for you this time, you've earned it... good luck, I hate paint work...LOL...

Couldn't shake the Charger addiction huh? Lol glad to hear you jumped right back on the horse, definitely been more than once that I've had to take a step back from working on one part of the car to collect myself and make some progress on another part.

That really sucks about the paint problem, but like previously stated at least it isn't the whole car. I had do redo all of my suspension, rearend, k-frame, and a pile of small parts for the same issue you are having. There are so many little things like this that we as hobbyists don't know for sure and do ourselves anyway to save a buck. I always say "education costs money anyway you look at it". This is a prime example, but I know that you and I wont make the same mistake twice. Go get back up on that horse and keep plugging away. You are doing a great job.

Thanks Hunt, no offense Hunt but it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one to do this and your right "I won't do it again".

- - - Updated - - -

My wife hates that about me, when I was building our house I'd be doing drywall in one room then installing plumbing in the other "I get bored with to much of one thing". I'm headed to the garage right now to try and pull the motor so it's ready for next week, no help so I might just have it ready to pull "we'll see". I don't think I'll ever be able to stop until it's done then I'll just star improving from there, 6 speed, 4 wheel disc, TV for the kids, A/C and probably more.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope everything goes better for you this time, you've earned it... good luck, I hate paint work...LOL...
It will, I've learned my mistake and have no intensions of repeating it. I love painting and don't mind fender bender repairs just not the endless bodywork it takes to do a whole 17 ft car. How's the fire going "better I hope".

that funky t shaped rubber is for the clutch pedal

- - - Updated - - -

1963-74 MOPAR A, B & E-BODY CLUTCH PEDAL STOP BUMPER

Replacement clutch pedal stop bumper for various manual transmission-equipped 1963-74 Dodge and Plymouth applications. Manufactured in rubber as original for an authentic appearance.

It will, I've learned my mistake and have no intensions of repeating it. I love painting and don't mind fender bender repairs just not the endless bodywork it takes to do a whole 17 ft car. How's the fire going "better I hope".

Thanks, Much better now, nowhere near as bad of smoke, but still burning some thou... 330+ square miles now & still not 100% contained... it sucks, supposed to be 100% contained by Sept. 20th...

- - - Updated - - -

yeah I don't mind the occasional ding, dent, paint or body repair, but the whole car is a PITA, I've done like 60 now thou, most 26 were race cars thou too, not the same attention to detail... at-least I'm not doing much fiberglass on this car, just bumpers & hood...LOL... that's the real PITA to make look decent....

It's out, sucks but what are you going to do. I'm going to take advantage of it and check everything over while it's out and clean it up. After getting my bumpers back from blasting I was so happy with them that I pondered getting them re chromed until I priced it "no way" they'll get painted. They would need some filling but not much and allot of sanding, I really like the Year One Charger with painted to match bumpers so that's what I'm doing. Hopefully everything will be re painted this weekend so I can get it back together, I might wait until the whole car is painted before dropping the motor back in so the paint is plenty dry. DSCN8417.jpgDSCN8418.jpgDSCN8419.jpgDSCN8420.jpgDSCN8429.jpg

Well I lied, turns out I can't stay out of the garage even if I want to.

I know the feeling 747Mopar . . . good for you with sticking with it. Hope it all gets resolved quickly . . .

- - - Updated - - -

I always say "education costs money anyway you look at it".

Hunt, and I've also heard that when it hurts ( or costs money ) then you're more likely to remember it next time . . . Thanks for sharing with the rest of us here so we can go do it ourselves . . . and after it hurts, we'll remember it too !

I can imagine what they want for rechroming the bumpers! don't blame you a bit... Maybe later on you'll find a good set of bumpers for a decent price if you decide on going back to chrome..

I can imagine what they want for rechroming the bumpers! don't blame you a bit... Maybe later on you'll find a good set of bumpers for a decent price if you decide on going back to chrome..
$400 a piece from one shop and $700 for the other, the $700 job was a top notch outfit. As for finding a better set, it isn't that mine were bad it's that I did some pretty extensive cutting and welding on them to get them to fit the body tighter. Both have been narrowed 3/4" on each side, the back has 5/8" added to the bottom, 3/4" to the tops and 1/2" removed from the brackets so as you can imagine they need a little smoothing out (you can make out the mods in the pics).

Yep, chroming ain't cheap and if it sounds like "a good deal" it probably won't be when you get it back and see all the pitting from their crappy work.

Not a big fan of stock bumpers painted body color, but your modified ones should look great, really looking forward to seeing them on the car. Agreed they looked awesome on the "big time" year one charger too :eusa_drool:

Good & bad news, thanks to a little help from you guys I now have uploaded a video of the car running. Now the bad news, the audio is terrible so I'll make a new one using something else with the car outside. I have a good video recorder that's uses DVD's so I'm sure I could put it in the computer and upload it. Next time I say I'm going to get you a video "I know how" sorry fella's but at least I got it figured out.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have a clear quarter glass? I have one tinted "airtemp" window and one clear and would like to use the clear.[video=youtube_share;udSvRGbzHPU]http://youtu.be/udSvRGbzHPU[/video] I figured I'd learn how to edit so hears the crappy audio video "worst parts edited out". I will definetly make a better one outside but since my motor is no longer under the hood it will have to wait. P.S. I found a plug wire off after this recording "these MSD wires are ticking me off".

Man, regardless of the audio quality she sounds mean as hell and I can't get over how cool that exhaust is :icon_thumleft:

And re: the plug wires, I got a set of custom-cut firecores from a guy over on the dodgecharger forum that everyone talks about being the best set you can get. Priced decent, silicone boots, and cut to lengths that are supposed to be perfect for keeping them away from headers. I can get you his info if you end up wanting to switch

wowser...i know that might not be the best audio, but that sounds badass to me. the exhaust looks good. nice job. will be waiting for the next vid. thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back