• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restomod charger pics

:eek:ccasion14:looking real good :headbang:

Yes sir! that looks super good, glad things are looking up with your car..

For those of you who asked about smoothing the motor compartment and the hidden wires I took a few pics. My car was factory A/C so there's quiet a bit of welding on the firewall, electrical bulkhead, headlight vacuum hose grommet, A/C which has a hole for the blower motor, and then some. Also the seam around the shock towers was welded solid and then smoothed, other than that just welding screw holes shut. The electrical isn't anything fancy to hide the wires, all front end wires are ran in conduit under the fender as stated previously and the engine compartment wires just come out behind the intake where you can't see them. There's a little hole (grommet) to the left of the main harness for the dist wires (Mallory recommends running them separately and along a grounding plain "block") I also added another hole (grommet) while redoing the paint for the wiper motor so now they will only have a short run. I also included some pics of the braded wire protector I used from McMaster, really nice stuff. My only complaint was that it frayed on the ends but I just started shrink wrapping the ends which makes it look more professional anyways. View attachment 144515View attachment 144516View attachment 144517View attachment 144518View attachment 144519View attachment 144520View attachment 144521

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a few pics, not a bunch of progress to buisy celebrating my 11th anniversary with my wife and playing paitball with my cousin and his boys. I should post a pic of our paintball coarse behind the house "really unique" my property has huge sandstones when I say huge I mean some the size of houses which we use as forts and sniper rocks "really fun". As for the Charger I'm just trying to get it back together but am still waiting on another oil pan so I can get rid of this deep one before reinstalling it. I also decided against wheel opening trim so I spent some time really smoothing the rear fender openings and cleaning everything up for paint. Made a trip to Summit and returned the faulty ign switch, the one I had was a mini so I figure mini switch = mini contacts and bought the big one "we'll see how it does".View attachment 144526View attachment 144527View attachment 144528View attachment 144529

- - - Updated - - -

Did some work on the headers "after all the headaches I had sealing them up I figured I better look them over" as it turned out the one that leaked was low when looking at it with a straight edge. I welded it up and filed it to match. I thought I was getting a deal on some wheels and tires so I made a jig fore testing fitment "to tight" so no wheels. The thought of getting wheels got me thinking again "I'm like Hunt picking a color only with wheels". I can't make up my mind but have decided to stick to the original plan on sizes (18's and 19's). Now if I could just find the info RR sent me on the wiper switch terminal I.D's I could wrap up this harness.View attachment 144530View attachment 144533

- - - Updated - - -

What's the stud at the top for?View attachment 144534

Did you cut the header flanges? Did it help with sealing?

Did you cut the header flanges? Did it help with sealing?
Yes, I talked to the guys at Summit about gaskets and they told me it was a common problem and cutting the flanges would let each flange torque independently. Now that I had the motor out I found the real problems, #1 one tube showed low (the one that cutting the flange helped) but the real problem was a lip on the head that I didn't see that the header flange was torqueing against and not allowing to seal. My guess is that the thicker Percy gaskets were thick enough to still allow it to seal. I trimmed an 1/8 off the top of the header flange to clear it, I suspect this might also take care of the header hitting the trans pan as well. The best thing you can do is check them for flatness and test the fit before putting the motor in, if the motor is in check to see if your heads have that lip above the ports.

- - - Updated - - -

Progress, motor is back in. I'm close to being back to where I was a month ago only now my clear won't blow off. Sounds like my wife has another buisy weekend planned so who knows what I'll get done.

Thanks for the advice. i am looking for a leak or a lifter tick and have been reading your thread on the lifters also. Am going to dig in a little more this weekend. Cant wait to see that car done it should be awesome. Coming from someone in the buissness your work is well above what the average body man does Keep up the great work.

Last edited:
IMG_0642.jpgVN80521012738_american_racing_hot_rod_black_vn805_blvd.jpgWhat do you think of these, I love them until I see them on a car "you really only see the polished part". If I bought them I'd repaint them Charcoal.

I would love to say I found my wheels but I've already said that a few times but I really think these are the ones. They are close to the 427 wheels I like without being Fordish , they come in 19"s unlike most and are priced lower than the high end wheels and a little more than the 427's. They are made by U.S Mags.US_Rambler_Gunmetal_500.jpg

Its as hard to pick wheels as it is to pick the paint, Those look good 747!

- - - Updated - - -

I do like the top ones best myself..

- - - Updated - - -

You got that right Ron - at least it is easy to change the wheels if they don't work for you.

I like the second one by us wheel. Think they would look great. just my opinion though.

- - - Updated - - -

I do like the top ones best myself..

Paint is always pretty easy for me, let's see "which shade of orange am I going to go with". I love orange cars and also love different shades of grey, charcoal, silver, etc. As for the wheels I'm going to keep my eye open for a good deal but if I don't snag something up I'll try to get the U.S Mags.

I can say I agree . . . but what do I know, I haven't picked the color of my car yet or the wheels - that's still all up in the air.

Paint is always pretty easy for me, let's see "which shade of orange am I going to go with". I love orange cars and also love different shades of grey, charcoal, silver, etc. As for the wheels I'm going to keep my eye open for a good deal but if I don't snag something up I'll try to get the U.S Mags.

I loved this quote 747 . . . What shade of orange am I going with ? ? . . . made my day !

Good luck on the wheel choice too.

"that's still all up in the air"

SEE! Told ya its hard to decide! lol.. Had to do it, Good luck with your picks, :)

I'm feeling pretty good right now, a good night in the garage with my brother in law and everything is back as it was. I left the fenders off so I could mask off the pillars, cowl and other things I don't want over spray on but other than that it's ready to fire again. In the process I learned what it will take to change the starter, lift the motor about 2" on the driver side and it's in "not to bad". Another bit of good news was when I yanked the 7 qt pan in favor of a factory pan "motor looks great inside along with all cam lobes". Hopefully tomorrow goes this well.

+1 to the US Mags crowd, I think that wheel would look great on your car and it'll be pretty unique

Here are those shots of the wiper switch you wanted, but in the pic with the connector on I noticed one of the posts on the switch is not being used (at the top) if someone could chime in on why this is, it'd be much appreciated! :icon_thumleft:

20131023_165321.jpg

20131023_065326.jpg

Thanks Speedy, I know one of the terminals has it's own separate wire for the windshield washers on mine? One more thing down.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't going to update until the paint was on but I'm super excited so here's the progress. Last weekend was brutal, I finally reached that point of enough is enough "this thing is getting painted before it gets blistering cold out and nearly impossible to heat the garage warm enough". I worked until 2:00 AM Sat morning then back in the garage that afternoon until 3:00 AM Sun morning, back in the garage Sun afternoon for a few more hours then it was paintball until dark and back to the garage until 4:00 AM Mon. Wew, what a brutal schedule but it wasn't over I finished laying down the House of Kolors sealer KD3002 at 9:30 just in time to go to bed for work the next day (I took a vacation day Mon). What I managed to get done is the bumpers "ready for paint", rockers stripped and all redone in epoxy primer, the whole car gone over and sealed in white and while I was waiting on things to cure I finished up some wiring and installed a new ignition switch. The rockers were time consuming, I stripped everything off including the filler where it had some minor dings so I had to redo all of it. As you'll notice there was a slight change in plans, after having a few issues with the white wanting to bleed threw the orange I decided to seal it ahead of time so it's 100% cured and have already sanded it all with 600 grit "should eliminate any chance of it happening again". I've also been talking to the guys at House of Kolors to make sure I'm not going to have any trouble "very helpful". So here it is one color finally.DSCN8506.jpgDSCN8516.jpgDSCN8517.jpgDSCN8522.jpgDSCN8523.jpgDSCN8525.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention the changes to the booth, 4 more lights, sealed up the cracks, washed it and moved the overhead lights vertical with the car "much better". Didn't notice any dirt or blind spots.DSCN8513.jpg

MAN THAT CAR IS LOOKIN GREAT!!! it does feel good to get huge steps done .

Now for the trouble, no nothing went wrong but realized my plan for painting it isn't going to work. I had planned on painting it on stands so I can get under it to paint the rockers but 5'8" and a car on stands don't mix even thou I made it work this time. I think I'm going to use my mini touch up gun to get under the car with a 180 on the line so I can get all the way to the floor with it and leave the car on it's wheels. Even at that I'll need a stool (probably make a couple long bench's for doing the roof) and those sail panels really suck to paint. I'll be masking the car for the rump stripe and tail light panel after the orange is on now so it will be a long day in the garage. I'm really happy with my wife, she sensed my frustration and basically gave me all the time I needed to finally get it done. ONE WEEKEND AWAY FROM PAINT "I hope".

- - - Updated - - -

MAN THAT CAR IS LOOKIN GREAT!!! it does feel good to get huge steps done .
After all of the issues caused by the humidity and sitting around for a year ready for paint "IT FEALS GREAT". I don't even know if great is the word for it, I've been smiling ever since and chomping at the bit for next weekend to come so I can see some orange.

WAIT . . . that's not orange ! ! ! ! Oh, . . . . whew . . . . it's only the sealer, had me worried there for a minute 747mopar ! ! !

I remember your quote . . . what shade of orange will I use this time . . . ( smile )

Looking really good ! ! !

Auto Transport Service
Back