• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restomod charger pics

Here you go Tallhair, sorry no coloring but you should get the idea. One is with the proposed wood panel (curly maple)down the center and the other without. The one without the wood panel I thought about making the armrest out of wood instead or just have him stitch up the armrest in leather with the double French seams and orange stitching. I plan on having him stitch them up to match the seat with the same pleating and all.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my small amount of progress for the day, both panels cut out and fitted "ready for upholstery". I ended up having to make a square punch for the retainer holes, keystock drilled out and then filed sharp "worked great". Also here is a pic of a 1970 Charger door panel, they offered the center in wood which is kinda what I was thinking but now I'm leaning towards no wood panel.View attachment 156595View attachment 156596

What did you use for stock to make your panels? I just heard about using ABS plastic sheets which would be a big improvement over the original fiber board but the guy making them said nothing about a source.

I used a fiberboard, the upholstery shop gave me the material for making them. It's pretty close to the same thing only it's oil treated to prevent shrinking and drying out. I will be wrapping the edges in aluminum sheeting to prevent breaking and pull threw of the retainers. I would prefer something else but with it having to fit into the chrome channel at the top I have to keep it thin and this board is made just for this.

I think the lower one looks more balanced with the horizontal detail. What about walnut? I'm thinking a finer and darker grain would compliment the black leather and your custom dash.

Well,, the dash is already curley maple but is stained with a Mahogany color so I've got to make it match.

Yes, im afraid im guilty on that one myself, that and i had the curly maple stuck in my head!

O.K here's a refresher haha. I'm liking the 68 coronet door panel for the insert. I think the black goes pretty well with the stain???? Now next question, should I also trim it in aluminum our just radius the edges "I'm leaning towards no aluminum on the doors". DSCN7416.jpgth.jpg

747 I think we are two of a kind. I was just talking to my son about making door panels for the Coronet instead of buying them. I was considering 1/8" plywood for the panels with white vinyl covering and black stitching. I'd just copy the original stitching on mine but I really like the idea of the wood insert in the doors for yours. How about cutting out the panel where the wood would be and screwing the wood right to the door. essentially making it a two piece panel.

Great idea on the door panel backings guys. Craftboard backing really will warp up on you after time. As long as the clips don't get pulled out they hold their shape well, but good luck with keeping them all intact.

That's a nice option but I've aready got enough work lined up with him to pay for the whole interior. Thanks for sharing

- - - Updated - - -

747 I think we are two of a kind. I was just talking to my son about making door panels for the Coronet instead of buying them. I was considering 1/8" plywood for the panels with white vinyl covering and black stitching. I'd just copy the original stitching on mine but I really like the idea of the wood insert in the doors for yours. How about cutting out the panel where the wood would be and screwing the wood right to the door. essentially making it a two piece panel.
That's an idea I'll have to consider, I've been trying to think of how to prevent wrinkles where the wood would be fastened down. I was thinking about just puuting a spacer under it the same thickness as the padding so it can't compress "no wrinkles".

- - - Updated - - -

Great idea on the door panel backings guys. Craftboard backing really will warp up on you after time. As long as the clips don't get pulled out they hold their shape well, but good luck with keeping them all intact.
The board I'm using is oil treated, supposedly it won't dry, shrink and warp .

i like what you are doing,just wanted to show that they do make abs panels,your car is awesome!!!!!

Gotta ask, what are you using for your door panel base and how are you going to hold the fabric material on?

Gotta ask, what are you using for your door panel base and how are you going to hold the fabric material on?
Haven't seen you in while RR, I've got the wipers all done and working perfect "thanks for hooking me up with the switch". Good question, if I remember next time I'm at the upholstery shop I'll ask what it's called. He gave the material to me for the panels, it's made just for this use but is a little better than what was originally used "won't shrink and dry out". The uphostery shop is doing all the covering but I've watched them do allot of panels and they just use a contact cement like the factory did. When doing the stitch work they put thin foam with fabic on one side on the backside of the leather, then they sew threw the leather and foam to make the patterns. The fabric on the backside up the foam is what allows the string to pull the leather down in giving you the patters, pleating or whatever. Once they get it stitched up they just glue it on. The board is much like what was used just oil treated, still not 100% sure if I'm going to use it or plywood but so far it looks like pretty good stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

i like what you are doing,just wanted to show that they do make abs panels,your car is awesome!!!!!
Thanks a million for the compliments CDR.

O.K here's a refresher haha. I'm liking the 68 coronet door panel for the insert. I think the black goes pretty well with the stain???? Now next question, should I also trim it in aluminum our just radius the edges "I'm leaning towards no aluminum on the doors".View attachment 156797View attachment 156798

Thanks for the refresher! I was gonna ask but was running late from work and had to get out the door. It may look better with the trim to tie the panels to the dash a little better since it's trimmed and they are obviously in close proximity

I think your right, I found a pic of the 68 coronet door panels with the wood trimmed in stainless and it looks really good that way. Looks like I know what I'm doing now except the stich pattern, going with the wood isn't going to allow room for the pleating so that's out.

Progress, I know what you're thinking "this isn't progress". Look at it as new grill trim and a complete weatherstripping kit because that's exactly what it will be in a weak. Now if I could just get it out of here, freakin rain and warm weather really sucks "I wish it would stay 32 degrees all winter long".DSCN8876.jpg

Progress, I know what you're thinking "this isn't progress". Look at it as new grill trim and a complete weatherstripping kit because that's exactly what it will be in a weak. Now if I could just get it out of here, freakin rain and warm weather really sucks "I wish it would stay 32 degrees all winter long".View attachment 158505

Ahhh I hate the rain were getting but 32 all winter! sorry...
puke_zpsf3c91fe3.gif
72 sounds much better lol...

- - - Updated - - -

Thats some great work with the wood!!

Auto Transport Service
Back