• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restomod charger pics

Your freakin nuts! I just prefer to see how fast I can get to 100mph and then I'm good...... I've only been to 125mph, I know I'm a pussy but does jumping my KX 250 well over 100 ft or holding a wheelie until the bikes topped out in 5th count for anything haha? I guess that's where I got my thrills but that's also where I got this messed up back too.

The weather "WAS" beautiful but it's been raining damn near all day today so it's a mess now. Weather permitting I think I'll be ready for the maiden voyage with the 6 speed next weekend so we'll see but the mud has to dry up first.

My dad's been pretty busy so he brought me 2 pieces of scrap Titanium home for me to play with so I milled this out, still need to weld the 2 pieces together but this is the roughed out handle and grips. Since I don't just have Titanium rod laying around I'll have him weld the top plate and bottoms for the handles on when he welds the 2 halves together. In the end you'll only see the handle and maybe an 1" of the lever because of the console and boot so not much polishing up to be done.

20150314_152510.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Last night I tackled the starter but am still not sure if there's even a problem other than what I found, the starter is up against the starter pocket in the block causing it to torque down a little crooked. For the most part it looks like it's mostly just some bad casting flash in that area so I had to use a long porting rotary file to knock it down but still needs some more work.

I also chopped the tips off of my exhaust last night and added an 1" to both sides hoping to get some suet off of the car before I put them back on. Tonight I'll get the driveshaft installed if my dad picked it up on his way to work and with any luck I'll get it on the floor again to button up the wiring (still need to get a safety switch mounted to the clutch pedal and tie the reverse lockout into the brake light wiring).

More progress, got the shaft and got it installed, hooked up the reverse lockout to the brake switch, figured out how to do the clutch pedal safety switch, made my Curly Maple pistol grips and got the passenger side fresh air vent taken care of (used a driver side vent to plug the hole since I'll be using Vintage air).

Here's my little gift from Goon, got to try it out while working on the Charger (I like it).

DSCN9679.jpg

Here's the grips (still need to be cleared)

DSCN9683.jpg

This is what I found on the starter, it's hitting the block causing it to bolt on a little crooked. A little rotary file took care of it although it still sounds a little different it seams to work perfect.

DSCN9680.jpg

The new driveshaft.

DSCN9684.jpg

DSCN9685.jpg

DSCN9686.jpg

DSCN9688.jpg

After trying to figure out how to get around slicing the wires for the brake switch to operate the reverse lockout I finally remember these things from the original harness and robbed a harness of one. Now I can just plug it in Voila!

DSCN9690.jpg

Sometimes you just have to step away for a minute, mounting a safety switch to the clutch is something I've been trying to figure out as to where to mount it and what kind of switch to use. Well I crawled back under the dash and Duhhh............ there was a perfect place (already drilled) to mount a factory brake switch above the clutch pedal stop. All I had to do was enlarge the holes to 1/4" and bolt an extra bracket I had laying around on and it was done (need to stop at the parts store and get another switch and it's done).

DSCN9692.jpg

More progress, got the shaft and got it installed, hooked up the reverse lockout to the brake switch, figured out how to do the clutch pedal safety switch, made my Curly Maple pistol grips and got the passenger side fresh air vent taken care of (used a driver side vent to plug the hole since I'll be using Vintage air).

Here's my little gift from Goon, got to try it out while working on the Charger (I like it).

View attachment 245297

The new driveshaft.

View attachment 245300

That was some good stuff there 747Mopar - nice and warm all the way down ! ! ! !

ARGHHHH . . . and those are the tires I was suppose to bring back with me to "test fit" those 20"s under the Khan-vertible ! ! !
( at least it came to good use - gave you a place to set down the drive shaft ( SMILE ) )

Looks like you cleared a lot of the list yesterday,

New driveshaft looks like a really nice piece and those grips look better than anything you can buy off the shelf that's for sure! Can't wait to hear about the first drive with the 6 Speed now it's comin' on fast!

Glad the Kraken was there to help the motivation!

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, 747, khan, you notice anything different to goons avatar. looks like hes one of us now. lmao

hey 747, what do you think of these for holding the driveshaft, i see you have the u-bolt design. just wondering if you heard anything on these. thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

WHAT!?!?!? USA you sneaky bugger!! lmao

CHEERS!!

bah ha ha ha ha ha

Attachments

• 85800_part.jpg
    85800_part.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 217
hey 747, what do you think of these for holding the driveshaft, i see you have the u-bolt design. just wondering if you heard anything on these. thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

bah ha ha ha ha ha

Nope never saw those but the one I have looks pretty beefy already, you blowing yours out is what prompted me to upgrade to matching Spicer 199's (1350s) and the U-bolt style yoke so thanks for taking one for the team haha!

- - - Updated - - -

wow, really nice.

Thanks Postcar.

CHEERS!!

Congrats Goon now you can look in the naughty forum haha!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like you cleared a lot of the list yesterday,

New driveshaft looks like a really nice piece and those grips look better than anything you can buy off the shelf that's for sure! Can't wait to hear about the first drive with the 6 Speed now it's comin' on fast!

Glad the Kraken was there to help the motivation!

Thanks Goon, yes the driveshaft looks great and I'm very happy with the way the grips came out as well. I almost took it out today but when I got home my dad needed the running lights on his Jeep fixed so I didn't have time to mess with it. Soon very soon but the starter is still a possible problem.

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, 747, khan, you notice anything different to goons avatar. looks like hes one of us now. lmao

Yeah . . . I noticed, when you sent me the PM and asked how long it would take him to notice . . . the answer is 4 days !

( very nice gesture on your part USARR . . . well deserved by GOON too - Congratulations )

- - - Updated - - -

CHEERS!!

USARR has been know to do that in the past . . . wait ! ! . . . he's the one that gave me mine too ! ! !

USARR is alright in my book ! ! !

Yeah . . . I noticed, when you sent me the PM and asked how long it would take him to notice . . . the answer is 4 days !

( very nice gesture on your part USARR . . . well deserved by GOON too - Congratulations )

- - - Updated - - -

USARR has been know to do that in the past . . . wait ! ! . . . he's the one that gave me mine too ! ! !

USARR is alright in my book ! ! !

What goes around comes around, Goon's the one that gifted me with my membership so it couldn't go to a better guy.

Congrat's Goon! Heck of a nice thing for USA to do....

Looking forward to seeing that new tranny rolling down the road Dev. Pretty awesome job you've done thus far. It's been a pleasure watching it unfold here and your other thread.

With an absolutely beautiful day I was hell bent on going for a cruise today for the first time, I finally got ahold of somebody at Quicktime that seamed to know something and was told I had to run an OEM starter Errh. I picked one up on the way home with the intention of getting it done in time for a ride "Yeah right". Changing the starter turned into unbolting the motor, pulling the plugs, jacking it up, removing the header and then the killer I found a broken header stud and what better place to find it but the very last one. With it buried under the break booster and close to the steering column it was bound to be a bare and I was already thinking about pulling the head.... A quick trip to a buddy's house landed me a sweet 90 degree Milwaukee drill, I had to cut my drill bits down to an 1" long and in no time I had antifreeze dumping on me (love it) and then got the bolt out. What a load of crap, after that I felt so fortunate to get it out I just called it quits.

DSCN9696.jpg

DSCN9697.jpg

DSCN9698.jpg

In this pic you'll see why I need the OEM starter, the mini hits the block and you can see how much more meat there is on the mini where it faces the block. The only thing I can figure is they moved the starter down a fuzz meaning it also had to be moved in to keep the contact right and tightening the clearance to the block.

DSCN9699.jpg

DSCN9700.jpg

I bought this years ago for filling the outdrive of my boat with oil but it works great for filling standard tranny's.

DSCN9695.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Congrat's Goon! Heck of a nice thing for USA to do....

Looking forward to seeing that new tranny rolling down the road Dev. Pretty awesome job you've done thus far. It's been a pleasure watching it unfold here and your other thread.

Thanks Prop, always a pleasure to have you on for the ride. With any luck I'll be able to post a video by the weekend of this thing in action.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats Goon!

I can't wait to see a video of this thing.

Thanks KB! That's the plan, you and some of the other Overdrive guys helped motivate me to tackle this ASAP for sure.

So what about a Mopar mini starter? I see the one you had was a summit brand but what about an actual Mopar starter? Probably not worth exploring after your experimental surgery...but for future reference I would maybe check with Quicktime.

Thanks for counting me as motivation but its a two way street...your car is just such an inspiration it keeps me thinking of ways to make mine better too!

So what about a Mopar mini starter? I see the one you had was a summit brand but what about an actual Mopar starter? Probably not worth exploring after your experimental surgery...but for future reference I would maybe check with Quicktime.

Thanks for counting me as motivation but its a two way street...your car is just such an inspiration it keeps me thinking of ways to make mine better too!

Thanks, I specifically asked if I could run a Mopar mini starter and they said no. Watching you and USA run around with overdrives just killed me, I had to join the club haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Today just sucked, I bought some more header wrap to touch up my pipes but after seeing the rust after just one year I chose to take it all off. I'll get them blasted and repainted but as you can imagine this meant pulling the other one and.........another broken stud. So I figured I'd make sure the starter sounded better and it sounded much better. Then I figure I better make sure the headers will fit around starter...... what a PITA but it fit after dropping the steering linkage and allot of cussing. Then I notice Half of a plug wire on the ground.. yeap I didn't get it out of the way and while cranking the motor over it got caught in the belt and ripped the wire in half (freakin great). I'm really getting sick of all the set backs especially after all of the hard work is done and went so well but I'm still pushing for the weekend. What really sucks is the wife's patience is growing thin with all of the "little" added expenditures that I always seem to find so I'll just throw an oddball wire on it and worry about it later.

Hang in there man! Building/modifying these cars is like trying to cross a swamp. Wade through the muck and the mud till you find a little spot of high ground, then jump back in again, trying to find your way. Eventually you'll get across to dry land. Once you're there, life is grand.

Hang in there man! Building/modifying these cars is like trying to cross a swamp. Wade through the muck and the mud till you find a little spot of high ground, then jump back in again, trying to find your way. Eventually you'll get across to dry land. Once you're there, life is grand.

Indeed it is, I'm just a little too anxious to try out the new setup. Looking forward to getting in the garage tomorrow night and getting it all sorted out.

Auto Transport Service
Back