• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restomod charger pics

Very cool indeed! Got me hooked,I'm looking for a box.

If you think about a Viper transmission let me know and I'll get you the number for the Viper salvage yard (about $1,500). The speedo is probably the biggest setback on this setup but I was already running a GPS unit so it wasn't an issue to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice job on your hot rod , I really enjoyed following your thread as it helps me get motivated to finish my rod. Thanks again and enjoy your ride!

Thanks Roadrunner, glad you enjoyed! Good luck with your rod and hope to it when it's done.

- - - Updated - - -

Me too . . . I'm hooked . . .

Oh, got my 6-speed sitting in the garage waiting on ME to finish up my build ! ! !

WHooohooo . . . a little motivation goes a long way ! ! !

Thanks 747Mopar . . . great news on the car ! ! Can't wait to hit the Mopar Nats in it again this year ! !

Me either, this Summer is bound to be a blast.

My heads been spinning with how I'm going to get mine done sooner than later since I got your call today Dev! Awesome to see all your hard work and talent payoff and know that the season is just starting so LOTS of time to enjoy it now! Given it sounds like it pulled fine through all the gears it will be interesting to hear your thoughts on 4:10's if you do go that route. My only consideration still would be would it render 1st gear essentially useless being too low (always starting out in 2nd?)

My heads been spinning with how I'm going to get mine done sooner than later since I got your call today Dev! Awesome to see all your hard work and talent payoff and know that the season is just starting so LOTS of time to enjoy it now! Given it sounds like it pulled fine through all the gears it will be interesting to hear your thoughts on 4:10's if you do go that route. My only consideration still would be would it render 1st gear essentially useless being too low (always starting out in 2nd?)

I know exactly what you are saying Goon and I agree....1st becomes useless but even more with my trans! Right now its already reserved for stump puller mode with my NV3500. 1st gear for me is 4.01:1 and with my 2.94's its pretty short. But I would like to bring my highway rpm's up a little and pick up a bit of midrange. I actually currently 90% of the time take off in second and use 2-5.

So 747...I may want to borrow those 3.23's!

Very Cool! Glad to see it all pan out for you. I'll admit it........damn I'm jealous! You've done a lot of hard work & research. Awesome that it works so well and you're enjoying every minute.

Have Fun!

I've never shifted an 833 so I can't make a comparison but would be willing to bet the throws are allot shorter and the pattern left to right almost doesn't feel like your even moving it far enough. I'm not going to jump the gun on the gearing but 1st doesn't seam short at all in it, I feel like I'm winding it up pretty good threw first and taking off in 2nd isn't even a consideration so we'll see. Next time out (who knows when seeing how we just got a pile of the white crap dumped on us again) I'm going to do allot of takeoffs and freeway cruising and try to get a better idea of where I'm at on gearing but I'm confident I can at least go to a 3:90.

- - - Updated - - -

I know exactly what you are saying Goon and I agree....1st becomes useless but even more with my trans! Right now its already reserved for stump puller mode with my NV3500. 1st gear for me is 4.01:1 and with my 2.94's its pretty short. But I would like to bring my highway rpm's up a little and pick up a bit of midrange. I actually currently 90% of the time take off in second and use 2-5.

So 747...I may want to borrow those 3.23's!

My 489 has 3:23s in it right now so when I put it together they're yours if you want them, no way I'll ever be able to run them now.

- - - Updated - - -

Very Cool! Glad to see it all pan out for you. I'll admit it........damn I'm jealous! You've done a lot of hard work & research. Awesome that it works so well and you're enjoying every minute.

Have Fun!

Thanks Prop, I have a tough time believing your jealous of anybody with that beauty of a RR haha. Don't know that I'd say hard work..... it was actually pretty fun up until I got to the starter problem that lead to the broken header studs, blasting and repainting the headers, antifreeze dripping on my face, running my plug wire threw the belts and everything else that stemmed from it but at least my buddy Goon left me a bottle of Kraken to ease the mood.:soda1::th_krazy:

I've never shifted an 833 so I can't make a comparison but would be willing to bet the throws are allot shorter and the pattern left to right almost doesn't feel like your even moving it far enough. I'm not going to jump the gun on the gearing but 1st doesn't seam short at all in it, I feel like I'm winding it up pretty good threw first and taking off in 2nd isn't even a consideration so we'll see. Next time out (who knows when seeing how we just got a pile of the white crap dumped on us again) I'm going to do allot of takeoffs and freeway cruising and try to get a better idea of where I'm at on gearing but I'm confident I can at least go to a 3:90.

I'm pretty sure when I looked into it 1st gear in the 833 and T56 were identical gearing or at least very close. Absolutely the 833 is a much shorter/tighter throw and pattern. I could be completely wrong and 4:10's might be the perfect answer and make for a lot of fun! Would definitely allow for some serious burnouts! After you have a feel for it whatever you decide I look forward to your feedback.

That Shifter and handle together look absolutely amazing! Love how that came out and will even look better which is hard to believe once you get it cleared! Like I said earlier it's a hell of a lot nicer than anything you could buy off the shelf and real wood not plastic! BADDDDASSSSSS!!

You may be right, I'm still playing with the new carb. Right now I can't get a good feel for the lower rpm's since that's where it seems to need tuning. Did you look at the T56 gearing or the Viper spec'd T56 gearing?

- - - Updated - - -

My 489 has 3:23s in it right now so when I put it together they're yours if you want them, no way I'll ever be able to run them now.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Prop, I have a tough time believing your jealous of anybody with that beauty of a RR haha. Don't know that I'd say hard work..... it was actually pretty fun up until I got to the starter problem that lead to the broken header studs, blasting and repainting the headers, antifreeze dripping on my face, running my plug wire threw the belts and everything else that stemmed from it but at least my buddy Goon left me a bottle of Kraken to ease the mood.:soda1::th_krazy:

I'm not sure what I'm going to end up doing in the rear end honestly. I sold my 742 case since slipping an auburn in there was going to cost around $600 with shims and bearings. I'm hoping to find a decently priced suregrip 3.23 or 3. 55 assembled. ...but if you don't plan to sell the gear set I'll take it. Will at least leave me some more options.

I may not be changing the gearing at all now, Ohio is proposing raising the speed limit to 75mph. If it happens that will likely help out allot but don't worry KB I still plan on building the 489 just so I have a fresh set of gears and bearings out back.

You may be right, I'm still playing with the new carb. Right now I can't get a good feel for the lower rpm's since that's where it seems to need tuning. Did you look at the T56 gearing or the Viper spec'd T56 gearing?

I wanna say both the Viper Spec'd gearing and A833 for my era B body have a 2.66:1 ratio for 1st.

just wow again. got some pics of the ORANGE GODDESS down loaded. your car is just flat out sexy. what a hell of a job on that shifter. the wood grain is killer. fantastic job. im gonna trylike hell to make it to the nats to see your ride.

just wow again. got some pics of the ORANGE GODDESS down loaded. your car is just flat out sexy. what a hell of a job on that shifter. the wood grain is killer. fantastic job. im gonna trylike hell to make it to the nats to see your ride.

Thanks allot USA! That would be great if you can make it and hopefully driving yours as well so I can check it out.

The shifter looks amazing, really nice.

View attachment 247277

Bad to the bone.

X2!!! I gotta say Dev, your quite the craftsman/artist when it comes to woodworking. It's quite obvious with this piece here and the other projects you shown us over the years. I have quite a bit of hardwood maple on my land in the sticks, including birdseye. I'll head up to Lake Superior and toss in a few logs for ya, maybe you could swing over to Erie and pick it up..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Prop, most of my skills if you want to call it that came out of necessity (wanting what I can't afford). You got to remember, I work at a sawmill so I see thousands of board foot a day haha. How do you tell it's birdseye? I ask because sometimes I can tell a log is going to be Curly and other times the log will show no evidence at all.

Sawmill's a tough job! Have a friend who's brother works at Wolf River Lumber. Pretty beat up fella. He got black mold in his lungs a couple years back and damn near killed him. Tough gig.

I had no clue I had some birdseye until I cut down a free standing dead maple. There's was bunch of 4 trees all standing like phone poles in a clump, but all dead. Anyways, cut the first one down, cut it in a few smaller pieces, then pulled it out of the woods with the tractor. Brother in law was sectioning all the timber up for splitting. We attacked the pile with some pretty hefty splitting maul's and noticed right away all the pecking marks in the grains. Being all the maple on the property are Sugar Maple (which the birdseye genetic defect stems from), we've been trying to identify from the exterior of the tree, if it's birdseye. What we got from some local loggers and the US Forest Service is that from the outside you may see small dimpling into the bark. The tree may also take a coke bottle shape to it's lower trunk. We have literally into the thousands of Sugar maples on the land. I haven't walked it all and marked anything, but going off the description, there is quite a bit of it. Cool looking wood!

Very nice looking wood indeed, Maple has always been my favorite wood because of all the character in it. I like it so much that I hate when we cut it because I'm usually out there watching the lumber and always have a tough time restraining myself from buying all the Curley and Birdseye so I try to stay in the shop while we're on it (allot cheaper). One thing that continues to amaze me is how very little Curley Cherry you ever see in furniture and cabinets because I see more of it than the Maple and it looks just as nice, I made my whole master bath out of it I like it so much?

Auto Transport Service
Back