• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restomod charger pics

Feel much better now, just got off the phone with Summit and ordered a one piece windage tray-gasket setup and Summit is having 1 new Taylor Thundervolt wire drop shipped to my door! I love Summit, they always do what they can to please their customers.:headbang:. Should be here tomorrow so with a little luck I'll button up the bottom of the car Friday night.

Last edited:
I have heard that header wrap will do that. When I build a set I guess I'll have to look into ceramic coating. I am not sure when I'll do that. I am thinking I am going to need to adjust my motor mounts up a little bit before long to allow better oil pan clearance with my k-member. It's always something!

Sounds like things are looking up! Any chance of getting the headers coated instead of painted? Now would be the time if you could.

No, the plan from day one was to use these $150 swap meet Hooker Super Comps until I could afford some nice Ceramic coated ones. After my spending frenzy on the tranny swap they'll have to last at least another season before that happens. As for coating these ones goes, I can't justify coating them when it cost almost as much as new ones to do it so I'll just hold out a little longer and buy new coated headers.

- - - Updated - - -

I have heard that header wrap will do that. When I build a set I guess I'll have to look into ceramic coating. I am not sure when I'll do that. I am thinking I am going to need to adjust my motor mounts up a little bit before long to allow better oil pan clearance with my k-member. It's always something!

I knew that it would cause rust but didn't think it would be only 2 seasons before they're shot (don't think they'd be worth running after another year of that). Won't do that again!

Last edited:
A loooooooooooooooong night last night but I said I was buttoning up the bottom whether it took till 2:00 in the morning or not and it did. The windage tray was the real PITA last night, I couldn't get the steering link off of the pitman arm nor get the arm off the gearbox without possibly damaging something so it took some creative maneuvering to get the pan on but it's on even if it gobbled up allot of my time. Got the headers painted and installed with the starter and everything buttoned back up. Since my dipstick was broke and everything was torn apart down there I took the time to finish the mods to make the one Kahn sent me work, the braided hose makes header installation a little easier not to mention it's a hell of allot easier to pull out then the old one. Tonight I'll replace the castle nut I destroyed and get it back on the ground to finish up the interior and unless something else goes wrong Sunday should be the day!!!!!!!

Last edited:
What a great night, spent more time under the car than planned but I'm confident every wire and hose is anchored out of harms way and everything is as is should be. Got the Lokar dipstick installed that Kahn donated and love it, the stiff tube had to be bent every which way but loose to get it to clear everything making it stiff to get in and out but this thing is slick as can be (thanks Kahn). With all the fluids and plugs changed I turned the key and nothing................ haha then I pushed the clutch pedal in and it fired right off so the safety switch works. Then I put it in 1st and let the clutch out..... voila it moves forward then I try for reverse.... no reverse so I push the brake down and voila it goes into reverse so the reverse safety works as well. Everything is a go so I made an adjustment to the accelerator pump hoping to solve the small bog on takeoff that it had with the new carb so we'll see tomorrow.

I was rocking out all night and right after I fired the Charger up and moved it around this song came on and I thought........how appropriate, your getting some lovin baby!

[video]https://youtu.be/VxA3atHD2QM[/video]

Here's the Lokar dipstick, it's for a 5.7 Hemi.

DSCN9702.jpg

Had to turn the end down to fit the BB hole.

DSCN9712.jpg

Also had the make a new bracket to mount it.

DSCN9711.jpg

Then compare the length to get it set right which meant cutting 2" of the hose off.

DSCN9701.jpg

Here's my fix for the oil pan leak, pretty slick windage tray with reusable built in rubber seals (all one piece).

DSCN9703.jpg

And a couple pics of the bottom of the car.

DSCN9704.jpg

DSCN9710.jpg

Lookin' cool as usual, great work on the safety switches. Gotta love that windage tray, what a brilliant idea with the built in rubber gaskets.

X2 on the rubber to the road . . .

ALAS . . . . the brave Kraken gave up it's life so the Charger will live ! ! ! ! ( LMAO ) . . . .

Anxiously awaiting the cruise report . . . C'MON . . . it's 9AM already, have you driven it yet ? ? Huh ? ? ? Huh ? ? ? . . . . ( SMILE )

X2 on the rubber to the road . . .

ALAS . . . . the brave Kraken gave up it's life so the Charger will live ! ! ! ! ( LMAO ) . . . .

Anxiously awaiting the cruise report . . . C'MON . . . it's 9AM already, have you driven it yet ? ? Huh ? ? ? Huh ? ? ? . . . . ( SMILE )

Yeah but I didn't go to bed until 3:00 AM and just woke up so give me a few haha.

The under side of the car is as good looking as the top side! It all looks like it was meant to be there. As usual you do great work Devin. VIDEO, VIDEO, VIDEO!!!!!!! :)

Sorry guys, once I took off in the Charger I didn't come back haha. I absolutely love it! 6 gears of effortless shifting and more gears than I know what to do with........... I'm going to get in trouble with this thing. I didn't have time to button up the hole in the floor or even put the console or passenger seat in so it will only get better with those added to quite it down even more. I was concerned with the McLeod clutch thinking the dual friction (not 2 disc but 2 different materials) would be grabby but it works pretty nice and suspect it will only improve as it brakes in so that was a relief. The day was just awesome, my tinkering with the accelerator pump last night seams to have resolved the stumble, it doesn't appear to be leaking oil anymore and there doesn't seam to be any issues with the tranny so I'm pumped.

I was cruising up a hill on the way to a friends house hard on the gas and I looked down and I was doing 80mph and not even turning 2,500rpm IN 5TH, that's insane and I was only turning 1,500rpm doing 70mph down the freeway so yeah I might get in trouble with it. Now that I've ran the 3:55s I'm leaning towards 4:10s but I'll wait until I get the carb dialed in and get some more freeway miles under it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Lookin' cool as usual, great work on the safety switches. Gotta love that windage tray, what a brilliant idea with the built in rubber gaskets.

Thanks. Yeap, really like the idea so lets hope it works out.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like great news! Hope you get the chance to put the rubber to the road today!

Indeed I did and made a day out of it while I was at it, good times!

- - - Updated - - -

ride report please.....

All thumbs up, looks like this summer will be easier on the wallet............... ummmmmm unless I start getting tickets?

- - - Updated - - -

The under side of the car is as good looking as the top side! It all looks like it was meant to be there. As usual you do great work Devin. VIDEO, VIDEO, VIDEO!!!!!!! :)

Thanks 61, video coming soon.

It was just nice getting it out of the garage and washing it off finally.

Attachments

• 20150322_163742.jpg
    20150322_163742.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 163
Me too . . . I'm hooked . . .

Oh, got my 6-speed sitting in the garage waiting on ME to finish up my build ! ! !

WHooohooo . . . a little motivation goes a long way ! ! !

Thanks 747Mopar . . . great news on the car ! ! Can't wait to hit the Mopar Nats in it again this year ! !

Nice job on your hot rod , I really enjoyed following your thread as it helps me get motivated to finish my rod. Thanks again and enjoy your ride!

Auto Transport Service
Back