• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restomod charger pics

Explosives for splitting wood!?! Devin, ill tell you what family and friends keep telling me for years, "You need to get out more buddy'!!! :) :) :)

I forgot to mention how the MC worked out didn't I? This is my first V8 standard so I can't make a good comparison but it's definitely not buttery easy like my Dakato but seams about as I would expect out of a performance car but maybe easier. The pedal movement is what's nice, 1"- 1 1/2" of pedal is all it takes to disengage the clutch. I've even shifted without even using the clutch without so much as a hint of any problems although I won't make a habbit of it.

As for the gearing I keep hearing the stump puller comments but if you look at the mph when shifting @ 6,000 it's not bad at all and puts you at 113 mph in 4th so I don't think it will be bad at all maybe a whole lot of fun!

I really wish I could make that trip but with a family all vacations are focused around the little ones and I couldn't imagine them in a car for that long (bad things).

We found a new way to split firewood last weekend too, turns out explosives work for that too only problem is it takes hours to find it all.

- - - Updated - - -

Man that video sure makes me want to!
Nice! That doesn't sound bad at all :icon_thumleft:

Yeah I really need to sit down and calculate the range of each gear and see where it would end up, I'm just busy with all the efi research. I have a feeling 4.10 might end being the ticket though!

Oh yeah, that long of a road trip with little ones is asking for trouble haha guess you'll all just have to fly out and stay for a week lol!

Niiiice! That is one way to do it lol. But the noveske shop really is a bunch of great guys, hung out and had a couple brews with them after work and it looks like we're having a lunch bbq tomorrow. Plus their rifles are absolute works of art as well

Bad *** work my friend!! All you have to do to eliminate the scoop problem is drop 2 fours with a blower on it. Then you don't need the scoop! Everything comes right thru the hood. See the fast and furious charger. Nasty!

Build it like you you like it brother!!

IT's a 73 400 BB with the rotating assembly out of a 70 440 (cranked clearanced to fit 400) that had to be bored .060" over do to rust so it's a 456". It's fairly tame as for cam selection but it does wonderful for everyday driving with plenty of power (lots of fun). Headed to Summit right now to pick up the new gears so hopefully I can pull a late nighter and get the pig ready to drop in. Thanks

Good hunting Dev! I have a 73 400 myself, I look at it everyday and wonder if ill slip away from the 383 before my car is finished and use it... I do think from what ive heard here a build like that would be in a good way.. time i have, but the money end scares me to death lol!!! :)

Good hunting Dev! I have a 73 400 myself, I look at it everyday and wonder if ill slip away from the 383 before my car is finished and use it... I do think from what ive heard here a build like that would be in a good way.. time i have, but the money end scares me to death lol!!! :)

I did allot of reading before building my motor and the 400 is the best foundation to build a wedge from (using factory stuff), physically smaller and lighter but has a bigger bore than the 440. If you can score the rotating assembly from a 440 it's actually really cheap to build, clearancing the crank is the only additional cost but if one has a lathe it's only about a 15 minute job to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Boy my wife is really throwing a wrench into the works, got my gears but between her honey do list and outings I can't find the time to do much of anything! Here's the whole weekend worth of progress on the gears, I know pathetic but maybe at this rate I'll have it done by next year haha. Got the center section torn down and the new bearings installed but that's about it.:BangHead:

DSCN9999.jpg

DSCN9998.jpg

DSCN0001.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

On a good note I'm getting more comfy with the standard, stopped in to check on the guys at work today and was challenged to a burn out............... Uhh no.... O.K why not:grin: I lit them bad boys up from a roll all the way out of the parking lot and did I mention you have to make a 90 on your way out........ I could hear the tires the whole way around the turn while in a nice slide haha... I love it!

747.....isn't that spelled Honey-dues? I like the strategy of thinking about the 400 over 440...especially the "lighter" aspect. If i stay Mopar, it'll be either a vin 340 or comtemp 360 w/ aluminum heads. I've expanded my horizon to consider 66-67 as well as 68-89 Coro...70 won't werk fer me...too katty. I think i already mentioned, most are gonna hate me. but i'm most likely going w/ a 4.6 alloy V-8 Ford 4 cam 4 valve six bolt main, 450 lbs in stock linkin dress...baby Cosworth sorta.....so Fo Mo Par....so if i do a 68-69 4 door, people might not vex me as much....oh but it will be fast....i only need enuf pwr to keep from lugging down in drift action i like is tight stuff below 100mph want to auto-cross it also....i'll prob'ly throw ballast in the *** too to neutralize weight bias. The 116/117 inch wheelbase is the cat's *** great on a line, breaks with predictability and is very tolerant of sloppiness, delivers pure to finesse...bone stock w/o even a front sway bar....good brakes properly biased is a focus....i think 4 piston in rear is too much, i'll look into a single floaters arrangement, up front for the sake of purism and since Bendix is heralded in A/C brake world, i'd like to heve the OEM Bendix 4 piston. Sounds like You're having a ball....glad Your getting to enjoy your work. jsb

Video or it didn't happen!

Are you calling me a fibber? I actually did shoot a video but it was so dam boring cruising down the freeway at 1,500 rpm that I didn't post it. I really need to get a better one but they always come out crappy, either bad camera angle or getting stuck behind slow turds.

O.K. Here's a short video of the first trip down the freeway. I'll make a new one after the 4:30s are installed (shooting for the weekend.

[video]https://youtu.be/ctvHG5EyS7g[/video]

Here's a small video so you can see the smooth shifting of this Viper tranny, it would have a tighter pattern if I hadn't lengthened the lever to get it rightin my hand but still really nice.

[video]https://youtu.be/hK-BQl5Kb3k[/video]

Last edited:
Nice Dev! You looked like you were moving pretty good and I got pretty jealous and excited watching you row through that nice short shift and hearing the revs in a reasonable range!

Look forward to a shoot with the 4:30's

Niiiice 747.....i love the flat spoke steering wheel...kinda; Jag reminiscent. Car is pretty flat in the turns. What do you have stuck on the corners under neath. I told You i want to do linkin IRS and go tubular arms up front ,heim located , but stay w/ torsion bars. i love em, lots of travel. Did You do coil over in front? @ rear what is set up. and did You go rack steer? Brakes?

Got me envious! I wish my trans shifted that smoothly...one of these days I'll find a way to make a vid so you can see the difference haha.

Got me envious! I wish my trans shifted that smoothly...one of these days I'll find a way to make a vid so you can see the difference haha.

You've got to remember a TKO 600 is what made me go this route haha. That thing shifted horrible, this is a Cadillac in comparison.

You've got to remember a TKO 600 is what made me go this route haha. That thing shifted horrible, this is a Cadillac in comparison.

Well the TKO probably is a step up compared to my truck trans....1st to 2nd....I gave up, 3rd to 4th....wait for it, wait for it, ok now you can go in...

But overall for the $400 price tag of mine its better than the factory 3 speed i would have been stuck with.

Niiiice 747.....i love the flat spoke steering wheel...kinda; Jag reminiscent. Car is pretty flat in the turns. What do you have stuck on the corners under neath. I told You i want to do linkin IRS and go tubular arms up front ,heim located , but stay w/ torsion bars. i love em, lots of travel. Did You do coil over in front? @ rear what is set up. and did You go rack steer? Brakes?

Not allot of fancy parts here! I'm a big fan of the simple tried and true torsion bars so if it ain't broke don't fix it. I went with a complete suspension kit that replaced everything accept the LCAs, all polyurethane bushings, new ball joints, tie rod ends, steering sleaves, torsion bars, leaves, shocks, tubular upper arms, etc. I did however order stiffer bars and leaves which I credit the handling too, it rides nice but is stiff enough to stay level in the turns. I had plans for sway bars but after driving it I'd just be wasting my money because it doesn't need them.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the TKO probably is a step up compared to my truck trans....1st to 2nd....I gave up, 3rd to 4th....wait for it, wait for it, ok now you can go in...

But overall for the $400 price tag of mine its better than the factory 3 speed i would have been stuck with.

For $400 it's hard to complain. The big difference between us is I had a summer under my belt with a snappy shifting 727 making the switch extremely painful!

I'm posting this very reluctantly because #1 it's embarrassing and #2 It's very painful. Today I come home from work and the kids are at my moms (lives right across the road) and wanting to eat with her so I figure tomorrow being Friday I'll get the Charger on blocks while they're eating. I have 8X8 blocks about 20" long I use to sit the car on when working on things that require it to be weighted down like pinion angles so I jack it up and get blocks under all 4. I then proceed to remove the driveshaft when I hear a squeak.............. you know that one you hear when the parking brake isn't quite holding a car? I look at the tire and see it's on the edge of the block and scoot out of there to reposition the block when blam it comes crashing down seconds after I got out from under it :cwm10:. My first thought was O.K. what did I damage? The car rolled off backwards landing on the side exit exhaust shoving them into the quarter panels and doing some serious damage (both sides puckered out with cracked paint). So after I started cussing up a storm I realized the good Lord just spared me my life and I should be greatful to be alive right now and not so concerned with the dam car. I did jack it back up before leaving and saw where I screwed up, I always jack the rear first because of how far under the jack has to reach and then when jacking the front it pulls the rear tires forward even in gear (need to adjust my parking brake). Three second away from being trapped under a 3,600 lbs car is an eye opener for sure, what an idiot!

Looking at the damage makes me sick to my stomach :puke:. I won't waste anytime fixing it nor tackling the vibration issue I'm still chasing down.

Auto Transport Service
Back