• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The first Mopar you ever drove!

... was also my first car, purchased with paper route money at age 15 for $150: 69 Charger 318 column shift.

When my LTD got smoked by a drunk driver I bought a 1970 Charger SE from a guy that would come in the parts store where I worked. It was rusty AF but the 4 barrel 383 ran great and the interior was mint. It was my daily driver for a couple years until midwestern road salt finished it off. I t was a great car that never missed a beat no matter how hard I abused it. Thus began my love affair with Mopars…

1951 Dodge Wayfarer business coupe! Paid $150 for it got it running then sold it. Got to drive it once or twice around the parking lot. Was only 13 or 14 at the time. Here’s a pic of one like it but not mine . Found on the web for sale now! but did have that blue. Not the nice patina though! Sold it and a bit later drained my little bank account for a very hurt 1969 charger with the 426, But the guy hurt it racing. Never got to drive that one before selling. Couldn’t afford to fix!

IMG_0236.jpeg

My first car was a 64 Sport Fury I bought in 68 and sold in 72. Very cool car (well, not temperature wise - hot as hell in summer months). Wish I still had it.

64 Ply 2 retouche_zpsp0jo13mx.png
64 Ply 1 retouched_zpswtamkow3.png
64 Ply 3 retouched_zpswywszybn.png
scan0005.jpeg

68RR 383, column auto, bought in Scottsdale AZ in 1969 for college transportation (AZ State). Had aftermarket A/C. Girlfriend loved the bench seat :)

Oct71_home.jpg

1982 Dodge 3/4 ton regular cab long box 2wd pick up powered by a 318. Everything was nice and clean but it had a rust hole about 3" circle clean through the bed by the driver rear tailgate/corner post area. Only rust on the entire truck, like someone spilled the acid from Alien right in that spot and it ate a hole clear through.
That truck had a nice ride, smooth power, quiet inside(considering the era) and was a real horse.

Buddy, if I had the room, I would buy that truck! I love those and the Warlocks. I’ve only got a 3 car garage, with 4 vehicles. The Promaster won’t fit in the garage, the Grand Cherokee and the Plymouth, aren’t sitting outside. The D150 is outside, but it’s not taking the other two’s place either. I told the little lady, we’re not moving anymore. I went from an 8 to a 4 and now a 3 car, with 2 storage spaces. It’s actually a very good price! When I wrote the original response, I totally forgot about my sisters 67 Fury 2.

Dad’s 1968 Dart. Four doors, slant six and plenty of rust poking thru by the time I got behind the wheel. But who cared, I was mobile! The picture is probably on a trip to Niagara Falls around 1971 or so. Dad’s checking the oil and I’m trying to look cool.

IMG_0366.jpeg

Canadian version of a 1955 M37 (military power wagon?). My father dragged it home surplus, from the Canadian Forces. When I was about 14, I got it running and proceded to teach myself to drive a non-syncronized transmission while driving around the neighbourhood. When the police finally showed up, the officer concluded (wrongly, lol) that I did not need a license since it was a military vehicle. So I continued with the double clutching practice around the neighbourhood. Sorry, no photos.

mine was a 68 road runner i bought from my brother i was 16 at the time

GF at the time, Sharon Brown’s Dad loaned us the 68 or 69 Dodge Polara or Monaco not sure which. Awesome power, super lite steering and brakes. And Sharon too!

Buddy, if I had the room, I would buy that truck! I love those and the Warlocks. I’ve only got a 3 car garage, with 4 vehicles. The Promaster won’t fit in the garage, the Grand Cherokee and the Plymouth, aren’t sitting outside. The D150 is outside, but it’s not taking the other two’s place either. I told the little lady, we’re not moving anymore. I went from an 8 to a 4 and now a 3 car, with 2 storage spaces. It’s actually a very good price! When I wrote the original response, I totally forgot about my sisters 67 Fury 2.
It's a great truck! One time on the way to Carlisle I pulled up next to a guy in a 460 Lincoln Continental, he floored it and tried to race me,I went by him at over 100 mph,his eyes dam near bugged out of his head when he realized that I was towing a double axle U haul trailer! I had about 2000 pounds of car parts in it!

It's a great truck! One time on the way to Carlisle I pulled up next to a guy in a 460 Lincoln Continental, he floored it and tried to race me,I went by him at over 100 mph,his eyes dam near bugged out of his head when he realized that I was towing a double axle U haul trailer! I had about 2000 pounds of car parts in it!
1953 Chrysler Windsor. 6 cylinder, two door, semi auto transmission.

There is no doubt, the quickest vehicle out of any American manufacturer, in 78, and it’s a truck. I bought a big block (400)long bed swept side . Within a year and a half, I surprised a lot of mustangs, Camaros, and the other so called hot cars. Really didn’t take much, the usual. The biggest problem, traction. I’d have to start out kinda easy and I knew when I could lay into it. I really wish I had a place for it. Take care sir and I hope it gets a good home.

I took my DL driving test in this car on my 16th birthday. This pic is about 15 months later after a few mods to get me to HS faster.

62-Polara-500-Original-2.jpg

A few subtle details, it has a Crane/VariCam cammed 2x4 long cross ram 413, big 11" front drums, a swaybar, 3.91 SG, a cool can, dash mounted Sun tach, Wink Mirror, and you can barely make out in the pic a rear FG lip spoiler, and single wiper, as it went faster than a dual.:eek:

Last edited:
There is no doubt, the quickest vehicle out of any American manufacturer, in 78, and it’s a truck. I bought a big block (400)long bed swept side . Within a year and a half, I surprised a lot of mustangs, Camaros, and the other so called hot cars. Really didn’t take much, the usual. The biggest problem, traction. I’d have to start out kinda easy and I knew when I could lay into it. I really wish I had a place for it. Take care sir and I hope it gets a good home.
The truck pulls as hard from 60 to 100 mph,as any Mopar I have owned. It has the 68 spec 340 camshaft, and an 800 cfm thermoquad carb. The transmission is a loadflight,which is the small block equivalent of a Hemi torqueflight. When you stomp the fun pedal, it kicks down to second gear and that big thermoquad carb is wide open,it will put you in the seat. It pulls hard when it is already rolling!

Yep, trucks were the ticket in the late 70's. We would street race our street cars then when the cops were looking for the cars we would go home, grab the pickups and race them. My 400's ran pretty good with a 4 barrel added. I wanted a LRT but the longbox hauled the snowmobile a lot better.

photo 3.JPG

The truck pulls as hard from 60 to 100 mph,as any Mopar I have owned. It has the 68 spec 340 camshaft, and an 800 cfm thermoquad carb. The transmission is a loadflight,which is the small block equivalent of a Hemi torqueflight. When you stomp the fun pedal, it kicks down to second gear and that big thermoquad carb is wide open,it will put you in the seat. It pulls hard when it is already rolling!
There is no doubt in my mind. I built a 360 for a 85 dually crew cab I built. It would haul anything I wanted, pull my car trailer with ease and when we went camping I’d load the camper, everyone could ride in the cab, and off we’d go. One time I was building a bridge for the Lake county forest preserve. I couldn’t get the treated 6x6’s delivered early enough. I loaded that truck to the top of the bed with 20 footers and hauled them with no issues at all. If I’d have known, I would have used the car trailer but it was 30 miles to the house, so that was my easiest option, to expedite it.

First Mopar? Let's see, that was a long time ago. My sister had a nice 65 Belvedere 4 door but I was too young when she owned it.
Probably my 65 Dart. First car, bought it when I was 15. It was a 270 2 door post. White with a red interior. HP 273 with a 3 on the tree. Now I found out it was one of just a few with that combo.

Auto Transport Service
Back