• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What movie scared you as a kid?

The day the Earth stood still (circa 1951) and The Thing (original one with James Arness also 1951). Yes, I’m getting old.

The one movie that kind of scared me was "The Entity" because my parents said it was based on a true story.

The Other 1972.

Creepy Evil Kid Movie
Two twins cause mayhem in their small community after their father's passing, but only one of them is truly evil.

The Other has that great slow burn pacing that was so popular at the time. It's also darker and bleaker than just about any other horror film I can think of from that era. Children, elderly people, and even infants are put into harm's way more than the usual teenagers or twenty-somethings in these kinds of movies. Chris and Martin Udvarnoky are both excellent child actors who make each of their characters unique and well defined. It's also nice to see stage legend Uta Hagen in a rare and very powerful film role. It's a shame she never did more on film, because she's wonderful here and the heart of the film.

In the parts I remember the kid cuts his brother's finger off to get his ring. One time they couldn't find a missing baby. The dad goes to pour himself a drink from a wine cask to find it empty. The baby had been stuffed inside.

d

They showed us this Freshman year of HS (84-85).

Last edited:
Scary movies never really bothered me. Then or now.

The original Exorcist ranks up there as the creepiest as a kid back then

Blair Witch Project for recent one gave me the Willie's though

This one too

This one with Scott Glenn makes me think of The Keep, he was the protagonist in that one. That was pretty scary as a kid, especially when the Nazis removing the crosses open up into the chasm and the evil demon has his first "encounter". I love Tangerine Dream's soundtracks and this one was a perfect movie score.

I'm a huge horror movie enthusiast but they have to be a lot better than all the cliche'd "cat jumps out of trash can", "buddy's hand slaps on shoulder" loud-noise + jump-scare crap that you see in most movies nowadays. It has to have a plot, good story, characters you can identify with, and suspense...something you rarely see with modern horror movies.

For movies that were scary back in the day, the first 2 Halloweens, The Thing and The Fog (I'm a big John Carpenter fan), Carrie, The Shining, Evil Dead, Jaws, The Amityville Horror, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Alien (I think this was the first horror movie my brother and I were able to go to with our father due to the age restrictions), It's Alive (the commercial for this one, with the camera slowly panning around the crib with creepy music until you see the clawed hand hanging over the edge was particularly scary for me, though the movie itself was a bit less scary)...and Trilogy of Terror, the one story with the creepy pygmy headhunter doll that comes to life and tries to kill the woman who bought it.

For modern horrors definitely worth watching, check out Mama, Midsommar, The Babadook.

Last edited:
This was around the year 2000. I just watched The Blair Witch movie and was driving home late. I drove past our new home in the forest that was under construction. All the lights were on. It took some balls to go turn everything off. The Exorcist is scary if you're a Christian because it's based on things in the Bible. I remember a few months ago the parody website Babylon Bee had an article where the dad assured his children there was no such thing as a monster in their closet but it could be a demon.
You're a Christian???

Trilogy of Terror (1975) with Karen Black. Creeped me out as a kid, wouldn't reach under any furniture for a while, lol.

TT3.jpg
TT1.png

Nope. But I was raised as one. Did that little headhunter have a carving knife he was sweeping under the door? Maybe that was some Night Gallery story.

We saw The Exorcist in the theater even though we were not old enough. Some guys I thought were pretty tough were hanging out in the lobby to avoid the movie.

It's unrelated but I saw people walk out of Saving Private Ryan crying.

Last edited:
Did that little headhunter have a carving knife he was sweeping under the door? Maybe that was some Night Gallery story.
That's the one, from Trilogy of Terror. I honestly can't remember the other two stories, but I can clearly remember that pygmy headhunter short after all these years!

That's the one, from Trilogy of Terror. I honestly can't remember the other two stories, but I can clearly remember that pygmy headhunter short after all these years!
I remember that one and think one of the other two stories was "The Doll'.
Seeing that doll waiting for you at the top of the steps in the low light.

Wait Until Dark.
Audrey Hepburn, Alan Arkin, Richard Crenna, Efrem Zimbalist Jr.
Scared the crap out of me @ 10 Years old.

the angry red planet...i was dropped off at day care and they field tripped us to the local movie theatre at 4 years old. way to young to see a movie like that.

Not a movie, but the Outer Limits scared the crap out of me.

outer1.jpg

outer8.png

Auto Transport Service
Back