• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What wheels and tires came on base 69 hemi roadrunner?

I bought these today.
Looks like 3 of the 5 have the correct centers for a hemi car.

Screenshot_2024-08-27-07-56-04-59_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

No worries John. It was more than a couple weeks ago, lol.
When do you go in for the cat surgery? (Prayers, dude, for great results!)
Thank You Sir!
One today and another in a couple weeks!
Incorporated Duct and Glaucoma surgery as well.
Maybe I can race at night again = Now nothing but Glare.
I got down to last 4 at Winters but then they finished the race
in the dead of night and I was dead meat!

I'm old enough to have been driving these cars when they were new. I read somewhere that the factory put those plain steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps on them because they were certain the buyers would be putting Cragars or some other type of aftermarket wheels on them. Believe me, NOBODY in the 60's ran cars with dog dish hubcaps except maybe a Priest or school teacher and police cars.....
...and taxi cabs.

My car was built October of 68.
Do I need to be looking for H wheels date coded the same month as the car or were they a month or two prior to the car's build date?

Thank You Sir!
One today and another in a couple weeks!
Incorporated Duct and Glaucoma surgery as well.
Maybe I can race at night again = Now nothing but Glare.
I got down to last 4 at Winters but then they finished the race
in the dead of night and I was dead meat!
Good luck with those surgeries Mopar brother

My car was built October of 68.
Do I need to be looking for H wheels date coded the same month as the car or were they a month or two prior to the car's build date?
I would think up to a month prior would be good. A good friend of mine worked on the line putting wheels and tires on the cars back in the day and said you put the ones on the car that came down from the mounting group regardless if they were correct or not you can't stop the assembly line they would get corrected later on. So if the bunch feeding you the mounted wheels and tires had a good lunch (if you get my drift) they could have a mess at the end. So getting wheels with a different date code is okay it's not like they would run out of dated wheels perfectly on a given car either.

I would think up to a month prior would be good. A good friend of mine worked on the line putting wheels and tires on the cars back in the day and said you put the ones on the car that came down from the mounting group regardless if they were correct or not you can't stop the assembly line they would get corrected later on. So if the bunch feeding you the mounted wheels and tires had a good lunch (if you get my drift) they could have a mess at the end. So getting wheels with a different date code is okay it's not like they would run out of dated wheels perfectly on a given car either.
Ok thanks.
Lol sounds about right. There's so many stories how cars were messed up during assembly.
My dad is beginning restoration of a 78 Trans Am. He was telling me how the one he bought new when he was 19 was missing the bird and 6.6 decals on the right side of the car and the bottom of both front fenders had no color on them when he took delivery of the car.

I would think like most parts 1-2 months prior to build but true they grab what they have on hand.

But if it’s early build as those wheels we’re avail why not? Sets obviously got out and ordered
GTX6970 in post #11 mentioned a hemi charger and hemi gtx that have documented recall wheels. I don't see any reason a hemi roadrunner couldn't be ordered with them. If you actually GOT a hemi rr with the W23 wheels....... that up for debate. (And I'm betting the W23 code won't be on a fender tag, I think you would need a broadcast to prove it).

GTX6970 in post #11 mentioned a hemi charger and hemi gtx that have documented recall wheels. I don't see any reason a hemi roadrunner couldn't be ordered with them. If you actually GOT a hemi rr with the W23 wheels....... that up for debate. (And I'm betting the W23 code won't be on a fender tag, I think you would need a broadcast to prove it).
I think the list of options for a Road runner would help, certain things were not available on certain models.

I think the list of options for a Road runner would help, certain things were not available on certain models.
Standards and options list in Wes's book shows W23 available on 69 rr, and has pics of two runners with them in his "colors available" pics. So, I'm sure they were available, and probably available on a hemi car. The question is..... were any delivered?

W23 wheels were most certainly avail .
Were any made with them . I have no idea.

Best I remember. The wheels were only available option for like the 1st 2 or 3 weeks of production I think.
So a late August or very early Sept build date would be mandatory

But you need broadcast sheet to verify it.
Wheel code not on data tag

Last edited:
Where are common broadcast sheet locations on a Lynch Road car?

Where are common broadcast sheet locations on a Lynch Road car?
I found mine in my A12 (all A12s are lynch road cars) under the back seat, held in place by the seat spring. I don't remember back or bottom (I think bottom), but there are supposedly multiple locations depending on assy plant.
Search here for build sheet locations (properly called broadcast sheet) and you'll get an array of locations.

Wow, a lot of different topics in this thread. All good stuff. Back to post #1.

The standard wheel on a 1969 HEMI Road Runner was a 15x6 H wheel with a F70 x 15 red streak sidewall (U65). They were painted body color with a hub cap.

I looked at about 15 broadcast sheets for E74 Road Runners. The wheels and tires were coded as follows:

Tires: Either U64 (WS)(Optional) or U65 (RS)(Standard)
Wheels: 24 - 15x6, Body Color
Wheel Cover: 88 - Hub Cap - PN 2944088
Wheel: W25 - Stamped Steel Wheel

I did not find any W23 wheels, but I didn't do a deep dive. It would be very early production and there certainly may be some out there.

My avatar is the the wheel you are looking for (painted body color for your car). Drop me a PM if you need a set.

D

The standard wheel on a 1969 HEMI Road Runner was a 15x6 H wheel with a F70 x 15 red streak sidewall (U65). They were painted body color with a hub cap.

I looked at about 15 broadcast sheets for E74 Road Runners. The wheels and tires were coded as follows:

I did not find any W23 wheels, but I didn't do a deep dive. It would be very early production and there certainly may be some out there.

My avatar is the the wheel you are looking for (painted body color for your car). Drop me a PM if you need a set.

D

D
Ok thanks for the information.
I'm moving in a couple months.
When we get settled I will pm you for a set.

Auto Transport Service
Back