• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

One more kick at the can with small jet airliners - the BAe 146. Being as small as most regional jets, it has the distinction of having four engines. Initially designed with simplicity in mind, high bypass engines in the required power levels weren't yet being built when the first plans were drawn up in 1973, so four smaller ones did the job. Advantages included better safety with one engine out and the ability to take off from shorter runways. In addition, these extremely quiet engines have given the plane the nick-name of 'Whisperliner'.

Also known as the Avro RJ, this plane depended on speed brakes rather than engine thrust reversers. This feature also allows steeper than usual descents.

I recall the AirBC jets flying around here in the 80's, they were indeed very quiet and replaced some turboprop Convairs that had been in use earlier.

And I actually flew in a FlyBE jet a couple of years before they stopped using them in 2008, recalling that it seemed somewhat cramped though probably not any more than a turboprop in similar use. The wavy, distorted windows gave the appearance of peering out of a giant model airplane.
FlyBE_Bae146_G-JEAW_GLW.jpg

This looks like a busy airport.
funny_airplanes_images_1.jpg

Maybe this would reduce the clutter.:)
antonov225faci1.jpg

Last edited:
This week in Edwards flight test history: Yeager breaks sound barrier
412th Test Wing Public Affairs / Published October 13, 2016

161014-F-ZZ999-412.JPG

(Edwards History Office photo)

EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- On Oct. 14, 1947, on his ninth powered flight in the airplane, Capt. Charles E. “Chuck” Yeager piloted the Bell X-1 “Glamorous Glennis,” named after his wife, to a speed of 699.4 mph at 43,000 feet (Mach 1.06), and became the first to exceed the speed of sound. This X-1 flight established that aircraft could be designed to exceed the previously deemed “sound barrier."

Quite a pilot flying a sixty year old Lancaster through the same valleys, that the original mission flew to attack on WW2 German dams, at night.

Um, indulge me some Please.
Aviation lost a Veteran, Baddassed Pilot in Bob Hoover.
This is my Dad in His days at Douglas during WW ll. The Old Man was a baddassed Test Pilot.
He's in the B-17F pictured....straight off the production line. He also flew A-20 & SBD. He built 1300 hrs in B-17's alone. Douglas, Martin & Lockheed produced many of the B-17's. Rock n Roll.
R.I.P. Bob.......

IMG_20161026_090116.jpg IMG_20161026_085913.jpg

That is some COOL stuff Jimi!
Yup, test pilots are a RARE Breed!
Especially back in those days!
I was always envious of Dad for the era He grew in. He had His first Waco when He was 12! In His early 20's flying for Douglas. Only 23 when He got this letter(You've seen) & the 1st set of Wings Douglas issued. He was a sonofabitch to learn from, but once gotten, it stuck. He had me in tears one day, doing full stop landings on Ryan field, in heavy cross winds. We had a 1947 straight 35 Bonanza with flop over single yoke......so Him sitting right seat, all he had was rudder pedals.......He started in on me on a downwind leg & i was caving with Him yelling....im thinking just take this gd airplane back as i turned onto base leg.....like He read my mind....He said " i am Not taking this bird back.....if You fall apart, You're going to kill us, so You better get the **** figured out on final!" i was bawlin all the way to the ground in rough desert air fighting 30 knot x-winds.......it was a decent landing......my legs would not support me on exiting the aircraft. He hugged me & said "You had doubts, but i did not...You're my boy & im proud of you son."

View attachment 368281

IMG_0357.jpg

BOB HOOVER HAS PASSED, HAD THE HONOR OF MEETING HIM AT THE GATHERING OF MUSTANGS AND LEGENDS AIR SHOW IN COLUMBUS OHIO. AMAZING MAN
161025172551-bob-hoover-780x439.jpg

Last edited:
This week in Edwards flight test history
412th Test Wing Public Affairs / Published October 27, 2016

161028-F-ZZ999-412.JPG

(Edwards History Office file photo)
EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- On Oct. 24, 1968, at Edwards - The X-15 made its final flight, piloted by Bill Dana. In 199 flights, the hypersonic aircraft completed one of the most successful space and atmospheric research programs to date.

I build/ fix them for the government. f18, f22, f35, C130 and C5 Galaxy. Some days it's like the coolest job in the world... other days it's like screw airplanes man. I actually volunteered for a non paying job to restore classic aircraft for my companies museum. All cosmetic stuff but still pretty cool.

Auto Transport Service
Back