• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

1727569677989.png

1727583132265.png

1727583168979.png

1727583290016.png

The F-105 Thunderchief. A very interesting aircraft.
Entered service in the 1950's. A very large aircraft, originally designed as a single seater capable of delivering a nuclear weapon.
Higher payload capacity then a B17 or B24 and capable of Mach 2 at higher elevation and Mach 1 at sea level.

2 seat versions remained in service until 1984.
Removed from active combat due to losses. Only air craft with that "honor".
However, pilots must have had balls of steel. This was basically a bomber/fighter tasked with attacking anti aircraft emplacements. That's right, they sent this beast of an aircraft to kill the aircraft killers. Due to this, they were commonly a first in, last out role during a mission. So it is no wonder they suffered higher losses. These were the enforcers showing up to make a path and then defend the aircraft coming in next while they carried out their missions.

My personal opinion: these things scream 1950's/60's American fighter jet. It looks fast, and it was fast. The evolution of going from multi engine heavy bombers to a Mach 2 capable single seater that can carry a nuke is game changing. These things were big. From the mostly forgotten transition era between the F-86 and the F-4. Designs changed rapidly in that era, this one always stood out to me.

This is how I imagine the design went:

"We need it to carry a nuke."
"Sir, it will need a bigger engine."
"So?. Make it bigger. I also want it to have a big rotary gun for anti air capability during mission."
"Sir, it will need more engine then."
"So? Make it bigger. I also need it to do Mach 2."
"Sir, it will need even more engine."
"Son, this is America. Do it."

And so we ended up with this upsized big brother. Screams America. Like a muscle car ten years early, bigger, badder, faster. The earliest versions in the polished silver like jet powered lightning always resonated with me.

Auto Transport Service
Back